1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    UCLF5

Default It's alive.

But for how long. So, my friend's AT&T Note 2 just died as he was using it. I told him I would see what I could do. I have a USB jig I thought might work since it did for my original Note. Nope. Nada. No signs of life. So it just sat in a drawer for over a week. My friend got himself a new phone and told me to keep the Note 2 and maybe get some money for it as parts. I was talking to another friend how we used to bring dead hard drives back to life by freezing then and dead video cards by cooking then in the oven. So why not. I took the battery out and put the Note 2 in the freezer over night and then put it in a toaster oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. I turned the oven off and went to sleep. The next day I put the battery back in and it turned on. The thing works great. GPS, WiFi, locks in fast. I can't test cell signal because its a different size SIM than the one in my Skyrocket. But I think it will work fine too.

So the TL/DR is, what do I do with it now. My friend doesn't want it back, I could sell it but how long will it keep working, or should I make it my daily driver and hope it keeps working. If I get a new SIM for it I won't be able to go back to the skyrocket.

Posted via the Amazing Android Central App on my Nexus 10

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: It's alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xingularity View Post
    But for how long. So, my friend's AT&T Note 2 just died as he was using it. I told him I would see what I could do. I have a USB jig I thought might work since it did for my original Note. Nope. Nada. No signs of life. So it just sat in a drawer for over a week. My friend got himself a new phone and told me to keep the Note 2 and maybe get some money for it as parts. I was talking to another friend how we used to bring dead hard drives back to life by freezing then and dead video cards by cooking then in the oven. So why not. I took the battery out and put the Note 2 in the freezer over night and then put it in a toaster oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. I turned the oven off and went to sleep. The next day I put the battery back in and it turned on. The thing works great. GPS, WiFi, locks in fast. I can't test cell signal because its a different size SIM than the one in my Skyrocket. But I think it will work fine too.

So the TL/DR is, what do I do with it now. My friend doesn't want it back, I could sell it but how long will it keep working, or should I make it my daily driver and hope it keeps working. If I get a new SIM for it I won't be able to go back to the skyrocket.

Posted via the Amazing Android Central App on my Nexus 10
    Freezing is more of an urban myth/legend, but I guess it worked out :P. Keep the skyrocket as a backup and make the Note 2 your daily driver. I say keep the Skyrocket because you don't know how long the Note will last...
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

Default Re: It's alive.

I would sell it as-is on ebay no returns but be honest about condition