PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
My ATT Captivate phone just became upgradable and I am thinking getting the Note. The Captivate has a horrible GPS. How is the capture time for the GPS on the Note? Does it use the Russian GLONASS satellites, like the Europe version?

anida123

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been playing with the navigation on my note and it seems to be working fine. I don't know what type of gps it uses, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

superakuma

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Testing the GPS was one if the first thing that I did when I got my phone because I also had the captivate with its non-working GPS. I was pretty anal about it because my Captivate's GPS didn't work and my Infuse's gps wasn't perfect either. It was a big improvement over the Captivate but still had trouble locking in sometimes.

I must of tested the Note in about 10 different places to see how fast it locks since I got the phone and I didn't have trouble with any of those places.

All in all, I am really glad to have a working GPS in my phone.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Clarification: There are 12 US GPS satellites and 12 Russian GLONASS satellites. The video I saw from last November shows 17 satellites found. So the video of a non-ATT version was obviously using both Russian and US satellites. You need "gps test" or "gps status" apps to see how many satellites are in use.

The video used GPS Test:
http://market.android.com/search?q=pname:com.chartcross.gpstest

I use "GPS Status" because it also shows battery charge percent and magnetic and acceleration sensors:
http://market.android.com/search?q=pname:com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
"As of March 2008,[51] there are 31 actively broadcasting satellites in the GPS constellation"

Global Positioning System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia also has an animation showing 12 satellites in view at any one time :)

AFAIK the Note does not have GLONASS-compatible GPS receiver. That is for the next generation phones...
OK, 12 visible, thanks. I can be picky, too. :) A GPS receiver receives GPS satellites. A GNSS receiver can receive both. The NZ Note does GLONASS. I forgot to link to the video.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arOYNNux_mg[/YT]

I like my Captivate, but I would gladly upgrade to the ATT Note if it has a better GPS radio(a GLONASS receiver is a plus)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My ATT Captivate phone just became upgradable and I am thinking getting the Note. The Captivate has a horrible GPS. How is the capture time for the GPS on the Note? Does it use the Russian GLONASS satellites, like the Europe version?

Yes is the answer. The best GPS I have used including actual GPS units! I can routinely lock inside of buildings. Last Friday I picked up my son from school and put the map on satellite and zoomed in and it showed me in the correct parking space!

Professor777

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
This phone has phenomenal GPS, with US and Glonass. The lock is fast and accurate. It is scary how it locates me in the right room of my house! The size of the screen makes this better than any GPS I've used or even seen. Google navigation even works great, although it does not find the fastest rout.

I am also using GPS Status. Good program.