new happy Note owner

max_stirling

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from my buggie Motorola Atrix (phantom screen touches and response issues) to a new Samsung Galaxy Note and couldn't be happier. I had to buy my phone in the open market since I wasn't due for an upgrade until the fall, but it was worth every penny.

The screen is incredible and all the apps are fast and snappy. I also have LTE now and it's more than twice as fast as my home wi-fi network. I might be using my Honeycomb tablet a lot less now when I'm at home. I've gotten used to holding the phone and it just feels like a large phone and not a small tablet. Also, my old Atrix feels like a small toy now.

I haven't used the stylist pen yet. Maybe at the next business meeting, I'll whip it out.

Not all is perfect though. The only complaints so far is the voice recognition is not as good as in the Atrix and the text auto correct is too insistance on what you intend to type, escpecially when I'm trying to type my login ID or email address. Maybe it just needs to learn the new 'words'. Also, I'm not able to natively change the stock short cuts at the bottom of the screen.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the Note Family!

Regarding the native short cuts at the bottom of the screen; the only one you can't change is the one titled applications. To change the others select applications; menu; edit. This will allow you to change the first four to your preferrence.
You will find the Note every bit an amazing device. I've had mine since launch day, and can't imagine using another phone with a screen any smaller. Samsung hit a homerun with this device.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Congrats. .. I was messing with the note last week it was incredible...I love the screen size. I'm hoping Sprint catches on and brings their version very soon...:D

From my EVO4G

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yet another post that makes me want to go get the note this instant! Hahhaha, congratulations. Let us know your experience after a few days of using it. I've been stocking out at best buy for a few weeks and debating to just get it or wait it out till ics to come out then take the plunge. :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Congrats. I just played with one at the At&t store. I really like the screen. The only thing that I didn't like is how the phone transitioned with a live wallpaper (like a lot of Android phones I've owned). My Gnex is choppy with some of the live wallpaper also so, it's not a big deal. I don't really use the live wallpaper much anyway.

I agree with the OP, the Gnote just feels like a big phone and not a small tablet. I haven't had a lot of experience with Touchwiz but, it reminds me of ICS.

I can't wait to get this phone .

max_stirling

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the nice words. So far, I'm still loving the Note and ordered case and a replacement back cover in another color.

This has been my first Samsung phone and I agree that they have hit a homerun with this one. I also like now Samsung is supporting and expanding the Galaxy brand. Same with Motorola with their Droid brand.

I used to have an iPhone 3GS and I'm totally an Android convert. My wife still has an iPhone 4S and makes fun of my Note's size, but I think she secretly likes it though I think she's too emotionally invested in Apple.

Regarding changing the home short cuts, I tried your steps, but it only allowed me to add or remove screen pages. When I pressed on the home screen in edit mode, it would just take me to the home screen and not be able to edit the home links. Let me know what I'm missing.

TIA

Welcome to the Note Family!

Regarding the native short cuts at the bottom of the screen; the only one you can't change is the one titled applications. To change the others select applications; menu; edit. This will allow you to change the first four to your preferrence.
You will find the Note every bit an amazing device. I've had mine since launch day, and can't imagine using another phone with a screen any smaller. Samsung hit a homerun with this device.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Regarding changing the home short cuts, I tried your steps, but it only allowed me to add or remove screen pages. When I pressed on the home screen in edit mode, it would just take me to the home screen and not be able to edit the home links. Let me know what I'm missing.

TIA

Be sure to select the short cut "applications", the blue icon to the far right from the home screen. Once you select applications you will be taken to the app drawer which shows all of your installed applications. It's at this point that you select menu. You will be given three options at the bottom; EDIT, VIEW TYPE, SHARE APP.

Select EDIT and you will be allowed to customize the shortcuts at the bottom of the screen by dragging and dropping your preferences from the app drawer.

Let me know if you need any help. I'm more than glad to assist.

max_stirling

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Got it. Works like a charm. Thanks.

Note: remember to press menu and save after the change is made.

Be sure to select the short cut "applications", the blue icon to the far right from the home screen. Once you select applications you will be taken to the app drawer which shows all of your installed applications. It's at this point that you select menu. You will be given three options at the bottom; EDIT, VIEW TYPE, SHARE APP.

Select EDIT and you will be allowed to customize the shortcuts at the bottom of the screen by dragging and dropping your preferences from the app drawer.

Let me know if you need any help. I'm more than glad to assist.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I love how you guys are helping the new Note owner. Like Max-Stirling, I have been an iPhone user for years and having played around with the Note and GS2 Skyrocket at the ATT store, it's stunning just how much faster and clearer these devices are than Apple. Of course, the down side is that you can't bring the phone back to ATT if there are problems, nor do they help you make the transition from iOS to Android.

Have any of the guys that bought a Note here found it's too large to carry around in your pocket? This is one of my primary concerns, though I have not bitten the bullet on getting a tablet and thought this might be a good compromise.. Is that what everyone is finding? Just curious.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Have any of the guys that bought a Note here found it's too large to carry around in your pocket? This is one of my primary concerns, though I have not bitten the bullet on getting a tablet and thought this might be a good compromise.. Is that what everyone is finding? Just curious.

In my opinion, as long as the Note is thought of as just another smartphone then using it and trying to carry it like another smartphone will be a challenge.

You have to see the Note in a whole new category. No one really thinks of carrying a tablet in their pocket. I find that the Note is more of a hand held personal computer. I use the Samsung flip case, and carry my Note in my hand or the inside breast pocket of my suit jacket during the day and at speaking engagements. On the weekends I will often place the Note in the back pocket of my jeans.

I personally don't think it was ever designed or considered to be thrown in your pocket like a smartphone or "under achieving" (for you politically correct folks) phone. I believe it's a handheld device. For women it can be easily placed in their purse (like most 7inch tablets also can be), but for us guys we need to hold it in our hands and carry much like a small note pad (which no one would think of putting in their pocket).

This is just my opinion. I think too much time and anxed is put into pocket test for the Note. It's not merely a phone. If it was merely a phone, then I could see the problem. The Note is so much more. For those that truly want and need the functionality, portability, and convenience of an all-in-one device like the Note; whether it fits in your pocket is not the major consideration.

Last edited:

ugaco07

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, as long as the Note is thought of as just another smartphone then using it and trying to carry it like another smartphone will be a challenge.

You have to see the Note in a whole new category. No one really thinks of carrying a tablet in their pocket. I find that the Note is more of a hand held personal computer. I use the Samsung flip case, and carry my Note in my hand or the inside breast pocket of my suit jacket during the day and at speaking engagements. On the weekends I will often place the Note in the back pocket of my jeans.

I personally don't think it was ever designed or considered to be thrown in your pocket like a smartphone or "under achieving" (for you politically correct folks) phone. I believe it's a handheld device. For women it can be easily placed in their purse (like most 7inch tablets also can be), but for us guys we need to hold it in our hands and carry much like a small note pad (which no one would think of putting in their pocket).

This is just my opinion. I think too much time and anxed is put into pocket test for the Note. It's not merely a phone. If it was merely a phone, then I could see the problem. The Note is so much more. For those that truly want and need the functionality, portability, and convenience of an all-in-one device like the Note; whether it fits in your pocket is not the major consideration.

Very well said

max_stirling

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
After about two weeks of using the Note, it still feels like a large phone, but not extreme. It falls into my hand confortably though my hand does get a little tired after prolonged use. That was the same with my smaller phone, but in a different way. This might be a different perspective from ppl with small hands or women. My old Motorola Atrix which has a 4" screen just feels tiny now and something I could never go back to.

I think the 5.3" screen of the Note is about the max size for a device that can be used as a phone. I have a 10" tablet (Toshiba Thrive), my wife has a 7" reader (Nook tablet) and I would not carry either one of those around on a regular basis. The Note still fits in my front and rear pants pocket, but I find it more comfortable in my back pocket when walking around. I take it out when sitting down.

I also find myself using my tablet at home less. My tablet never leaves the home and I used it mostly for surfing the net and watching YouTube and Netflix, but the Note's screen is large enough and the quality of the picture is so nice that I could see myself not needing a tablet at all. I still use my laptop for typing intensive activities.

jimmers40

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I to have had my note for bout a week coming from an infuse which was terribly buggy and no gingerbread as of yet to fix bugs. So i broke down to att and got note. Could not be happier. This phone rocks. Fast and beautiful. Draws plenty of fanfare from all. I have big hands and is breeze to handle. Love it!

jcdaniels

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for almost 2 weeks and I wouldn't go back to a smaller phone either.

Coming from the iPhone 4 , I was concerned I'd miss some things from iOS, but the games I miss are still on my iPad so it's not a big deal.

As far as the "too big to fit in pockets" comments I see everywhere, I don't understand. What kind of pants are people wearing these days? I was shocked my Note fit perfectly in the side pocket of my "carpenter" jeans from Old Navy,etc... Plus every pair of pants I own can fit the note in the front pockets comfortably.

It's not like I'm trying to stuff my iPad in, it's just a slightly larger phone.

I've said it before, people who love/wear skinny/tight jeans have other things they need to worry about than what phone they use. :p

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well these are all great responses in favor of the Note. Of course when you invest $300 in a phone, you certainly want to feel you've made the right move, LOL. My opposition to tablets has been that they were more like exaggerated smart phones and add to carrying another device around. My laptop, which is ancient by today's standards, rarely goes with me (it's about 6 or 7 lbs). I got very excited when I learned about On Live Desktop which brings more practical functionality to tablets via access to Office software, etc.

So I guess the real question is: Does everyone here feel the Note is a good replacement for BOTH the smart phone and tablet?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
So I guess the real question is: Does everyone here feel the Note is a good replacement for BOTH the smart phone and tablet?

When time permits please watch the keynote by DJ Lee, of Samsung (you can find it on YouTube), back in September of 2011 when the company first announced the Note. What you will see is that Samsung clearly positioned the Note as an all-in-one mobile computing device.

In fact, DJ Lee goes so far as to say that the Note is introducing a whole new catergory to fill the gap between the smartphone & tablet. He mentions how often time people have to carry multiple devices (smartphone, tablet, note pad, eReader etc.) and juggling these multiple devices is quite cumbersome.

The Note seeks to eliminate the need to carry 2 or 3 devices with you when you leave the house, and yet still give you the functionality to be just as productive using a single device.

I would argue that it's not a replacement for a laptop or even those who want a large tablet for around the house. But when you are out and about going from meeting to meeting, job site to job site, or classroom to classroom, it's just not practicle to carry multiple devices. The smartphone has its limits with screensize, the tablet in most cases is too big, and carrying a pad and pen everywhere to jot quick thoughts is not pratical.

The Note is truly the all-in-one device for the busy professional who doesn't want to carry 2 or 3 devices everytime they leave the house; the soccer mom who doesn't want to carry 2 or 3 devices shuffling kids from one place to the next; the student who doesn't want to carry 2 or 3 devices as they go from class to class, or the everyday Joe who doesn't want to sit at a Starbucks and have 2 or 3 devices spralled across the table while they drink their overpriced coffee.

So to answer your question; in my opinion, I would say, YES!

Steele Grey

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site

Without a doubt, it is for me. That's why I'll be getting one.

I'll carry the laptop when needed for extensive work, but I expect the the Note to take care of 90% of my current mobile needs. And when I need the laptop, I'll tether to the Note just as I currently do with my Blackberry. I was unwilling to give up my Blackberry...till now.

max_stirling

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site

I have a tablet now and before the getting the Note, I definately saw the tablet serving a niche that the smartphone could not: a better web browsing experience and, hands down, better video viewing experience (YouTube, netflix, etc...). Now that I have a Note, I don't feel that I was losing anything by not owning a tablet. The screen is so large, bright and sharp, that I don't feel like I'm burying my face into the screen just to get the details of the image.

Watching Netflix on the Note feels natural laying on a sofa. A tablet gets a little heavy after a while and a 4" smartphone feels like a compromise.

As a side note: I'm happy with my tablet too. The Toshiba Thrive and Honeycomb OS have been rock solid and there have not been any noticeable bugs. It's feels extremely portable and light compared to my 17" laptop which overheats my legs after just a few minutes.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
As an owner of both the Note and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, I like both devices. I still use my tablet when I want to show my kids videos or various websites. I have used the Note for this too but it all depends on what is going on at the time. I have the version of the Galaxy Tab that is only WiFi so I won't ever take it out of the house. Having the Note is something that gives me a much better smartphone than I previously had (former Infuse owner) and a screen that is amazing. I have no regrets. :)