Why should I get the note instead of waiting for the One X?

lunchbox88

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to decide if I wait for the One X, or get the Note.

I'm enthralled with the Note, but intimidated by its size. I have an Inspire right now, and thinking of wielding a phone with a screen a full inch larger is intimidating. The One X isn't THAT much smaller than the Note, but it's still smaller.

I just don't know if I can wait for the One X, especially considering the note is so exceptional in so many ways.

Anyone come from an Inspire, or similarly sized device? How long did it take to adjust? Any regrets?

Thanks!

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to decide if I wait for the One X, or get the Note.

I'm enthralled with the Note, but intimidated by its size. I have an Inspire right now, and thinking of wielding a phone with a screen a full inch larger is intimidating. The One X isn't THAT much smaller than the Note, but it's still smaller.

I addressed this issue in another thread, but the just of what I try to share with people is that as long as the Note is thought of as just another smartphone then trying to compare it, use it, or carry it like another smartphone will be a challenge.

You have to see the Note in a whole new category. I find that the Note is more of a hand held personal computer. It's not merely a phone. If it was merely a phone, then I understand the worry about the size, but the Note is so much more. The Note is more for people who want and need the functionality, portability, and convenience of an all-in-one device. Features of a smartphone; viewing size of a tablet, conveniece of a pen & notepad.

No other current device on the market compares!

Reactions: lunchbox88

lunchbox88

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
OK, then let me ask this in conjunction:

I was looking at getting a 7" tablet, mainly to use as an eReader because my Kindle3 doesn't handle my programming books. PDF's look like garbage on it, and they don't convert to .mobi well. At all. Seriously, if I had the time to write an app that would convert them well, I'd be loaded. Even if I only charged $.50.

Taking that in to consideration, would the Note be able to handle that? I was worried about the 7" screen size being potentially too small. Is 5.3" going to be too small?

DoubleNick

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Check out a YouTube video that compares reading a kindle book on--geez, I forget which phone with the Note. If I recall correctly the Note was able to contain 9_10 more lines on the same page, same font size as compared to the other Android phone. I previously had a Galaxy S2 and find the reading experience to be much more enjoyable on my note.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Size will definitely be a factor. However, as DAD said, you can't look at the G-Note like any other smartphone. The Note is versatile and mainly targeted to those who would like to carry one device for their daily work and media obsession. One thing to note (no pun) The One X has no removable battery also no MicroSD. For most lack of sd card is a deal breaker.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, then let me ask this in conjunction:

I was looking at getting a 7" tablet, mainly to use as an eReader because my Kindle3 doesn't handle my programming books. PDF's look like garbage on it, and they don't convert to .mobi well. At all. Seriously, if I had the time to write an app that would convert them well, I'd be loaded. Even if I only charged $.50.

Taking that in to consideration, would the Note be able to handle that? I was worried about the 7" screen size being potentially too small. Is 5.3" going to be too small?

I'm not tech savy enough to know about file conversions from .PDF to .mobi, and all of that. I can say that I have had no problems reading, viewing, or editing any documents on the Note so far.

In regards to your question about whether 5.3 is too small as eReader, I don't think so.

Prior to owning the Note I carried the Epic Touch GS2 (which I believed to be the best smartphone out there), and a Tab 7.0 Plus. I used the GS2 for the usual smartphone features like instant access to email, calendar, and a few games. I paid an additional $30 a month to Sprint for the mobile hotspot feature which allowed me to tether my Tab 7.0. I would use the tablet for viewing Netfix, eReading via the Kindle app, and for typing notes during business meetings with the Evernote app.

However, now that I have the Note, I sold my GS2 for $200, and my tablet for $325, and now just carry the one device.

With the larger screen of the Note I can read email and eBooks with no problems; view Netflix with ease, and instead of typing with one finger like I used to do during business meetings, I can actually take handwritten notes, and upload my handwritten notes to Evernote as soon as the meeting is over.

So in my world the Note has become my all-in-one mobile computing device. I think that's what makes this device so unique. With supporting apps like Dropbox and Soonr Scribble I literally have my office with me all the time.

If you decide on the Note, I can almost bet that you will not want a mere smartphone again. You'll get so used to the screen size, and the added convenience of an all-in-one device that using anything else will seem strange.

Let me just add, I can see the need (maybe in the future for me) for a stand alone 10.1 tablet for maybe around the house, but when you are out and about everyday, the Note is the way to go (in my humble opinion).

lunchbox88

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why I asked, really. I think I've already made up my mind that I'm going to get it (probably tonight or tomorrow). I'm still concerned about the size as I'm not a big guy, and don't have freakishly large hands.

I'm hoping that I'll use it for things like taking notes at work. It would be nice to do away with some of these paper notepads that I have.

Anyone use the Note while exercising? Anyone know off the top of their head if Target sells the white one? (The wife works at Target Optical, so we get a discount).

Oh, and thank you all for the responses. It's been awhile since I've visited this forum, and I forgot how friendly people are.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone use the Note while exercising?

I will say this is the one true drawback I've discovered with the Note. :(

I am a long distance runner (35-45 miles per week), and with the Note's size I am unable to carry it with me.

When I had my GS2, I could would carry it using an oversized arm pouch that I found on Amazon, but to my knowledge there is no armband holder that would accommodate the Note. What I've done for now is use my iPod Nano attached with Apple's wristband accessory. This is good for tracking my miles and listening to the Android Central Podcast while I run, but it leaves me with no celluar access in the event of an emergency.

For now (the last 30 days) it's been okay, but I am trying to find a solution. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to hear them.

lunchbox88

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I picked up the Note tonight. Yeah, it's spectacular, and I'm totally in love with this. Haven't tried looking at pdf's yet, but who cares? This thing is glorious.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I am a long distance runner (35-45 miles per week), and with the Note's size I am unable to carry it with me.

When I had my GS2, I could would carry it using an oversized arm pouch that I found on Amazon, but to my knowledge there is no armband holder that would accommodate the Note. What I've done for now is use my iPod Nano attached with Apple's wristband accessory. This is good for tracking my miles and listening to the Android Central Podcast while I run, but it leaves me with no celluar access in the event of an emergency.

For now (the last 30 days) it's been okay, but I am trying to find a solution. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to hear them.

I may be mistaken, but I think I saw an armband case for the Note available on eBay. Worth a look.

nino313

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a note on release day and just recently returned it. As other have said its a combination of phone and tablet, but I already owned a tablet and using it as just a phone, the size wasn't practical. I rarely used the pen for anything and most functions required two-handed operation for me. I'm waiting on the one x to release and will use my upgrade on that

lunchbox88

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Amazon has this

It's cheap enough that I might try it. It's also cheap enough that I don't expect much.

Reactions: DAS

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! Congratulations on the purchase of this amazing device.

I find this device is all I need, but I understand it's not for everyone (what device is?). There is a lot of help and advice on this and other forums. Don't hesitate to ask. Whatever your question surely someone will have the answer.

What color did you get? White or Carbon Blue? By the way, I signed up for the 3gig a month plan. Did you go for the 5 or 3?

lunchbox88

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I got the blue...because it's what they had in-stock, and I didn't want to wait even another day. Besides, I figure I've got 14 days to try it or I can return it and keep my upgrade, or 30 days to exchange for another phone.

I've got the older 2GB plan because that's what I had with my Inspire. I'm almost always on a wifi network, so it's not that big a deal to me. AT&T doesn't have LTE here (MN) yet, so I won't be tempted by the super fast speeds.

I've noticed some odd lag in places that I don't think it should be, but nothing that puts me off. All in all, this is an incredible device. I'm still a little self-conscious of how big it is when I use it in public, and I'm adjusting to shifting the phone up or down in my hand so I can reach everything with my thumb.

I'm now reading as much as I can here and on XDA, and thinking about a case, and the car mount, etc...

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The note and the one x are like comparing apples and oranges...

Nevermind... you already got the note. Nice pick.

Tapatalk via Razr Maxx

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the blue...because it's what they had in-stock, and I didn't want to wait even another day. Besides, I figure I've got 14 days to try it or I can return it and keep my upgrade, or 30 days to exchange for another phone.

I've got the older 2GB plan because that's what I had with my Inspire. I'm almost always on a wifi network, so it's not that big a deal to me. AT&T doesn't have LTE here (MN) yet, so I won't be tempted by the super fast speeds.

I've noticed some odd lag in places that I don't think it should be, but nothing that puts me off. All in all, this is an incredible device. I'm still a little self-conscious of how big it is when I use it in public, and I'm adjusting to shifting the phone up or down in my hand so I can reach everything with my thumb.

I'm now reading as much as I can here and on XDA, and thinking about a case, and the car mount, etc...

I actually never felt subconscious about carrying around or holding the Note up to my ear. I knew why I purchased the device and frankly didn't care what others thought or said. That :-Xbeing said; I have not experienced any negative comments, but instead most people have been quite impressed with the Note. They've seen it on tv but seeing it actually demoed up close in real life situations is quite another.

Even at the at&t store the reps don't really get it. Most still think it's just a large smartphone:-(

anonymous2399

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I really can't answer that question but I can tell you that the Note is a great device that I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with. It's really up to you do you prefer Sense with a non removable battery and SD card or Touchwiz on a 5.3 inch HD display?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I rarely used the pen for anything and most functions required two-handed operation for me. I'm waiting on the one x to release and will use my upgrade on that

I think by not using the S-Pen you really missed an opportunity to see the true genius and what seperates this device from any other device on the market today.

Of course, I believe the HTC One X, is a top tier smartphone, and for those in the market for a smartphone will be short changed if they don't give the One X a real consideration.

However, for those that want more than a smartphone, the Galaxy Note is the only device in its category. The S-Pen, and the 5.3 screen set this device above any mere smartphone. The capability to have an all-in-one completely portable moblie computing device means many people will no longer have to buy, carry, or manage two devices.

With Samsung coming out with 8 new S-Pen templates with their "premium suite" later this year, means users of the Note will have an even greater advantage because of the S-Pen technology and will further seperate this device from any other.

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I may be mistaken, but I think I saw an armband case for the Note available on eBay. Worth a look.
Yes, you are correct. I saw it as well. I came from an iPhone 4 to the G-Note and do not regret it one bit. It took me about a week to get used to the larger size, but I wouldn't have any other device than the Note.

lunchbox88

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife's iPhone 4s seems like a silly, little, beautiful (I don't care who you are...it's hard to deny that it's anything but a stunning looking device) toy.

The One X lost it for me with the wait for the release, the lack of expandable storage, and the non-replaceable battery. I LOVE the way it looks, but that only goes so far.