Anyone else exchanging Galaxy Note for the Lumia 900?

aewatsonsr77

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm seriously considering exchanging my Galaxy Note for the Nokia Lumia 900 when it drops on the 8th. I love the Note but I previously had the Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4G from Sprint and the Note is basically the same phone with a larger screen, except for the S pen which I rarely use. I've been intrigued by Windows Phone since its inception but I haven't seen a phone that would make me try it, until now. I actually left Verizon and the Droid Razr to get the Note so, as you can see, I'm a phone nut! I've had the IPhone 4 and a host of Android phones. I even used an upgrade with Sprint to get the Palm Pre the day it was released. Basically my question is are there any other people out there considering making this move also? I read these forums often but rarely post. Should I do it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

reelon

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I actually have a note in the box that I got last Friday. Not sure if I want to keep it or return it to get the lumia. I'm invested in the android system, and but if we're to change I would do it for the lumia. I guess it all depends on what you expect and want from the phone.

rich250

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
If I was to ever switch from android it would be to a windows phone but unless they come out with a windows phone with atleast a 5.3" screen that's not gonna happen

aewatsonsr77

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
If I was to ever switch from android it would be to a windows phone but unless they come out with a windows phone with atleast a 5.3" screen that's not gonna happen

I must admit that I love the screen size on my Note. This is a man's phone no doubt but I'm sort of bored with Android overall right now. The Lumia has a 4.3" screen which isn't small but it will be hard to go back to that size after experiencing the Note. I'm still leaning heavily towards exchanging my Note though. Decisions decisions!

Rally Android

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So what makes you think you wont get bored even quicker with a Windows phone? I'm sure the phone is excellent, plus I've heard very good things from the Windows OS, but for now it has a smaller ecosystem then Android or iOS. That's why I say you might get bored with it quicker once the new phone phase is over.

BullArcher

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Prior to my current Note, I had a Samsung Focus Windows 7 phone. The Note is way better. Love the big screen. Also, a lot more apps in the Android world, and growing. Windows phone does not have enough critical mass to get developers attention. I would not switch back to the Windows world unless they get a ton more phones in users hands. I think Microsoft is too late to the party.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I know specs aren't everything but when i look at the Lumia 900 i have to laugh a bit. I mean i don't see anything that stands out for it. I could kind of see going to a HTC Titan maybe, but to me the Lumia really isn't anything to go crazy over.

Non HD Display
older AOLED tech
Thick and heavy
low amount of ram
smaller display as well.

What stands out that makes this a must have phone. I see it has LTE, and that is pretty much the only plus I can see it has over others, but certainly not the NOTE, or the GS2 Skyrocket for that mater. To each there own.

DesertBandit

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
What stands out that makes this a must have phone. I see it has LTE, and that is pretty much the only plus I can see it has over others, but certainly not the NOTE, or the GS2 Skyrocket for that mater. To each there own.

The thing that is going to make this sell well will be its price. $99 with a contract or a reup. $49.99 on Amazon with a new 2 year.

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
To the original poster:

I'm rather curious as to why you switched carriers for the Note when you said your previous phone was 'basically the same thing'? I hope you didn't give up an unlimited data plan?

The Lumia 900 looks interesting. I would certainly love to play with one, but I couldn't imagine leaving Android for Windows. The size of the app collection alone would deter me. I honestly know nothing about the Windows app market, but I'm assuming it can't be anywhere near as large as the ones on Android or iOs?

-mcskipp

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually knew that, and that is a good point. But this thread is talking about going from a Note to a Lumia 900. How does that apply?

KSoD

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Going to a Windows Phone is a bad idea. Like a previous poster, I also had the Samsung Focus along with my Samsung Galaxy Captivate and Motorola Atrix. Of the 3 devices, the Focus was the least used. The reasons are simple. While you dont need beefy specs to run WP7, there is so much lacking.

Dropbox? Forget it. You can only view the stuff you have on there. You cant upload to it or download from it without 3rd party apps, which are very few to begin with.

Texting Tones? Sure you can change it, but you must use Windows OS, Zune software and have them specifically named as a "ringtone" with under 1MB in size and less than 40 seconds. They also must be in MP3 or WMA format. If the tone you want to use doesnt meet those requirements, then it will not even show up in the software.

Not to mention the fact that while you can add tones to your phone, it is a universal tone. There is nothing like customSMS or GOSMS Pro that will allow you to use a different text tone for each person. So if you are a heavy texter like I am, then this is a killer. Cause you will not be able to know if the text you got is something you have to read right away and respond to or if it is something that can wait.

Additionally getting updates is worse than Android. I got the Focus when WP7.5 "Mango" was already out. yet no matter what Zune and my phone both said no update available. I had to basically trick the phone to update, which in itself was a pain, to get it to work.

With the lackluster supply of quality apps on the Windows Martketplace compared to any other mobile OS, you will be bored far to quickly with a Windows Phone than anything else. If you have unlimited data, cant live without Facebook updates every second, then a Windows phone will be great for you! But if you live in the real world where you have to pay for data and only have so much, you will get killed by a Windows phone.

I sold my Focus about 3 months after buying it. I hated the phone after about a month of use cause it had nothing that I could do. I went back to Android with the option of flashing some sweet ROMS quickly, I can say if your bored with Android so quickly, you havent tried everything you can yet.

Reactions: chevyman29

aewatsonsr77

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
To the original poster:

I'm rather curious as to why you switched carriers for the Note when you said your previous phone was 'basically the same thing'? I hope you didn't give up an unlimited data plan?

The Lumia 900 looks interesting. I would certainly love to play with one, but I couldn't imagine leaving Android for Windows. The size of the app collection alone would deter me. I honestly know nothing about the Windows app market, but I'm assuming it can't be anywhere near as large as the ones on Android or iOs?

-mcskipp

aewatsonsr77

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I had a 4gb data plan from Verizon with the Droid Razr. I guess I fell in love with the idea of the humongous screen on the Note and I prayed that it would come to Verizon. When it didn't, I jumped ship to AT&T. As I stated before, the Note has basically the same form factor as my old Galaxy S2 from Sprint, just with a humongous screen. SAMSUNG phones are notorious for using cheap plastic and don't feel very premium as far as build quality goes. The Lumia looks really nice and the build quality is up to par with what a premium handset should have.
I guess that I'm past the WOW stage when it comes to the Note's screen size, although my Co-workers continue to be enamored with it. I purchased the HTC Evo 4G from Sprint the day that it was released and I eventually rooted it and did the whole custom ROM thing. Android's customization options are a big selling point for the platform but once you've been there and done that it's not the same. As far as apps on Windows phone vs Android goes, I researched it and 90% of the apps that I use on Android are available on Windows phone. Even the ones that aren't have a comparable alternative. Also, I'm a serious gamer and the Xbox Live integration intrigues me also.
The bottom line is that I'm always interested in the next new phone and my curiosity regarding Windows Phone coupled with what I think is a nice piece of hardware has me wanting to give up my beast of a phone. I appreciate the feedback and I have a few more days to mull over my decision. We'll see how it goes.

kyle.brown

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
we got the lumia a week ago and i must say it is a great windows device the clear back display is second to none and the camera is top of the line. one of the things that got me was how it does not have a removable battery and like always the lack of apps. If it had the apps i would switch from my note

atmancloud

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hell no! Never again will I use wp7 I've fixed all types of phones at work and every time a customer comes in with a windows phone they always ask why can't I this why can't I that??

And try updating a wp they say android has fragmentation? Please! People need to check out wp7. HTC hd7 and never looking back I loved nokia , but not anymore since they got bought by ms.

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
The only way to really know is to try it for yourself. It's a completely different style of OS from Android which is an icon based platform compared to a tile based platform for Windows Phone. You usually get 30 days to try a device on AT&T so you may want to take advantage of that.

Windows devices will not blow you away with specs but that's because the OS has been optimized to perform well with only a single core. What they lack in specs they more than make up for in excellent performance. You'll notice that immediately when you see the OS in action.

Ultimately any advice you receive will all be secondhand so the best bet is to try it for yourself and see if it suits you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz