The Note has replaced my iPhone!

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Liked your video very much.

Am curious how you decided upon the Note rather than say the Skyrocket. And this is coming from someone else who's only owned an iPhone, but is NOT a iPad or other tablet user.

I seem to be having difficulty pulling the trigger on a new device even though I definitely want to get something that's far better than the stupid 3G iPhone. I struggle with the size of the Note but as you say, the screen is sort of mesmerizing over time. However, as you know, the new phones about to be released also have screen sizes that are growing and I believe the largest is now 4.7". That said, the Skyrocket HD comes out soon and there are amazing deals on the Vivid, too.

In this sea of phones, I don't want to waste an upgrade. The Note seems cool but not sure if it makes sense, though it appears that you have found it to be non-replaceable. I suspect the new S Pen Suite that comes with the ICS update may make the decision easier.

Your thoughts?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The transition from a 3.5 inch screen to the Note must have been SHOCKING to say the least.
Thats one thing about the iphone...while being nice and sharp, its so dam SMALL. That and the icons plastered all over the homescreen. If you like that just keep your app drawer open all the time. :)

runner7395

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
@jontalk - I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from about having difficulty in pulling the trigger. The problem with going Android is there are so many phones and they keep coming out with more and more. You can buy the best one for you this week and guaranteed within a couple of months a "better" one will be coming out, that's just a given. That's the dilemma with going Android. I choose the Note for 2 reasons, screen size and S-pen. I really don't think that there will be another phone this size out until the GNote2 and I don't think any other phone will have an S-Pen. I think those things will be unique to the Note. That being said, I am interested in seeing the HTC One X when it comes out hopefully next month. I think it might give the Note a run for its money in my book.

Keep checking out different phones and when you find one that really "wows" you I think you will know it and be able to pull the trigger.

Good luck!

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
@jontalk - I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from about having difficulty in pulling the trigger. The problem with going Android is there are so many phones and they keep coming out with more and more. You can buy the best one for you this week and guaranteed within a couple of months a "better" one will be coming out, that's just a given. That's the dilemma with going Android. I choose the Note for 2 reasons, screen size and S-pen. I really don't think that there will be another phone this size out until the GNote2 and I don't think any other phone will have an S-Pen. I think those things will be unique to the Note. That being said, I am interested in seeing the HTC One X when it comes out hopefully next month. I think it might give the Note a run for its money in my book.

Keep checking out different phones and when you find one that really "wows" you I think you will know it and be able to pull the trigger.

Good luck!

I totally agree with you. I recently bought the Note around 2 days back. It has been an awesome phone. Though it hasn't replaced my Iphone 4S but am using it as a 2nd device. I am though confused with the One X coming out soon and also the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint. The thing is that after using LTE i realized that unlimited data is a precious commodity that shouldnt be let go off if you can help it. That is the only reason i am thinking of moving to Sprint to either the G Nexus or the HTC Evo 4G LTE..
I am confused... :'(
I love the Note and its features just dont have any love lost for the carrier it is on !!

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
A very informative and honest video.

In your video you refered to the Note as "an internet communication device". I think that is very well said. You stated what I try to share with people when discussing the Note. You really can't appreciate this device if you only see it as another smartphone.

The Note is not perfect (no single device is perfect for everyone). You mentioned that in your video. But when I compare all of the devices on the market today, I just can't see myself using any other.

I think about the HTC One; the Lumia 900 and HTC Titan 2, and all these phones are really nice and have some fantastic features. The truth is (for me) if the Note was not on the market I probably would be running to snatch up one of these other devices, but I find saying, "if I get that phone, then I lose the screen size, and all of sudden the device ceases to give me that added convenience of a nice sized portable tablet".

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your video.

Reactions: runner7395

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The thing is that after using LTE i realized that unlimited data is a precious commodity that shouldnt be let go off if you can help it.

I hear exactly what you're saying. I had been with Sprint for 10+ years, and had an account with 5 phones one it (now only 4).

I did hesitate about jumping ship because primarily I didn't want to lose my unlimited data. In fact, when Samsung announced this device back in September I was hoping it would land on Sprint. I was deflated when I learned that At&t had grabbed it up with an exclusivity deal of all things. :(

But I was convinced back then that this was the device I had longed for, that I made the jump and signed up for the 3 gig a month plan. I was concerned about going over my limit and getting charged big time, but so far I have manged my data very well. April 19 will make 60 days with the Note, and at this point I could never go back to anything less than the Note.

A side note (no pun intended): If Sprint ever announced this device for their upcoming LTE network, I would sell this At&t version and pick up the Note on Sprints LTE network. Getting back my unlimited data, although I am not an data abuser, would be nice, and as you said, it is a "precious commodity."

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
How are you fairing w sprints data speeds? When I was with them back in November December they were horrible! What good is unlimited data you can't use?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Great discussion going here, especially since it's evolved into the comparison of Sprint and ATT. Right now, it seems the only REAL players with LTE are ATT and Verizon, with a minor play by T Mobile. What baffles me is how Sprint will make available the new HTC EVO 4G when they don't have an LTE network yet. The phone looks very cool, but why would someone buy the Evo when they could get the OneX , Note, Vivid or Skyrocket with ATT and have amazing speed?

And today, a Korean site leaked a story about the new Sammy GS3 with an actual photo stating it will be intro'd to the UK on May 22nd. VERY sexy looking phone with a supposed screen size of 4.8".. These new device screens are slowly approaching the size of the Note!

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
How are you fairing w sprints data speeds? When I was with them back in November December they were horrible! What good is unlimited data you can't use?

That's it in a nutshell. Unlimited data you can't use! Sprint speeds have been pathetic since last year here in Philly where I'm at. I dare not even attempt to pull a webpage when away from wifi.

I've long given up hope that speeds will one day improve. If nothing else, I now understand how they're able to provide unlimited data--it's not fast enough to make a difference.

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk

jcdaniels

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Great video.
My friends and family have a hard tune believing that I went back to Android.
Have been a long time Mac user and never had an iPhone until the 4 came out, complained for years due to a regional carrier I was on not having good phones.
But man do I love this phone. Well never go back.

Reactions: runner7395

whydidnt

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the Note almost since the International version came out. No LTE for me, but it's still my favorite device. It seems I've tried about every major phone out there and the Note still is the one I go back to. I use my phone for internet and email far more than for calls so the size suits me. It fits in my pocket just fine, but I'm not running around in skin tight clothes either.

I do have a Galaxy Nexus as well, and there really isn't a comparison as far as screen size. The extra 80 pixels across make a huge difference to me in usability. If you compare the size of the two devices, you'll find the note is substantially bigger, even though it's screen is "just" .6 inches larger. The wider screen really makes a difference IMO. I really didn't find the extra size of the Nexus screen much more useful than the 4.3" screen on the Galaxy SII used previously. Though both were far better than the tiny screen on the iPhone 4, and the Nexus really isn't much larger overall than the SII.

Anyway, I think the Note is really the best device out there for those that really use the "smart" part of their smart phone.

Reactions: DAS
Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely right! I had Sprint for almost 13 yrs and never knew how bad the service actually was. I mean, with Sprint I had very little to no dropped calls and hardly ever used much data. Then I started a job near the airport in Atlantic City. With Sprint coverage is ..non-existent. Speed test would show 0.02mbps down, and forget about upload. Made the Swap to AT&T, now with the Note my data speeds are on average 8-10mbps down and 2.5-4.0 up, although I see some people that get 20-30mbps down and higher in other places, I'm more than pleased with my data speeds. And yes, unlimited is great, but only if you are able to actually USE it. Went from none-1 bar to FULL bars. Very happy with the Note and my new Carrier. :D

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the Skyrocket, and I can get through at least 14 hours of normal use (I hardly speak on the phone).
What would you say is the average battery use on the Note, for a 'normal' day?

I only really need about 14-15 hours of use (stand by). Also, I'm wondering, if I upgrade to this, would I need my iPad 2?

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just as an FYI, there has been some postings/rumors that Sprint will be getting the Note. Supposedly there staff is about to be trained in its use.

I hope this is true as I would like to upgrade from my EVO 4G and keep my unlimited Sprint plan.

Doc

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance