The Note has replaced my iPhone!

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the Skyrocket, and I can get through at least 14 hours of normal use (I hardly speak on the phone).
What would you say is the average battery use on the Note, for a 'normal' day?

I only really need about 14-15 hours of use (stand by). Also, I'm wondering, if I upgrade to this, would I need my iPad 2?

Battery consumption is very subjective and varies greatly from user to user depending on so many factors.

I personally take my phone off the charger at 5:45 a.m. I sync 7 email accounts thoughout the day, and use APmobile & Yahoo Finance as my only live widgets. I don't use live wallpaper, and talk maybe 30 minutes total throught the day. I browse the web pretty extensively, and upload meeting notes from the G-Note to Evernote about 2 or 3 times. I also listen to the music player for about 50 minutes on my drive home. By the time I get home around 6 p.m. or so with 30-40% of battery battery power left.

Once home I put the Note back on the charger beside my bed for about another hour during dinner, and that gives me plenty of juice to read using the KIndle App, magazines using Zinio, and more web browsing before going to bed and placing it back on the charger overnight.

By the way, I do carry a fully charged spare battery in my wallet (they are quite thin), just in case something out of the ordinary occurs and I need the power.

Regarding getting rid of your Ipad2. I can't say you would need to get rid of it, but I believe you'll find that you will tend to pick up less & less. You surely will not have to leave the house with it. The size of the Note is great for on the go portability.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Liked your video very much.

Am curious how you decided upon the Note rather than say the Skyrocket. And this is coming from someone else who's only owned an iPhone, but is NOT a iPad or other tablet user.

I seem to be having difficulty pulling the trigger on a new device even though I definitely want to get something that's far better than the stupid 3G iPhone. I struggle with the size of the Note but as you say, the screen is sort of mesmerizing over time. However, as you know, the new phones about to be released also have screen sizes that are growing and I believe the largest is now 4.7". That said, the Skyrocket HD comes out soon and there are amazing deals on the Vivid, too.

In this sea of phones, I don't want to waste an upgrade. The Note seems cool but not sure if it makes sense, though it appears that you have found it to be non-replaceable. I suspect the new S Pen Suite that comes with the ICS update may make the decision easier.

Your thoughts?

I've had the note for two weeks now, and I already know what my next device will be: Note 2.

The s-pen is just a bonus for me and not a feature to buy it for. The size seemed comically large at first, but in 48 hours it already seemed totally normal and I can use the phone fully one handed. Now my nexus seems so small and very disappointing even though I still have not put ICS on the note.

In fact Nexus is currently up for sale and I will be cancelling VZW.

One thing i was also curious about was people's reactions to it. Got 4 numbers from girls in the club over the weekend and none of them even commented. I just handed it to them and they put in their numbers/names instinctively.

Only reactions I've had were: downstairs girl when I placed it next to her iPhone was surprised and some family members who are iPhone users said it was "huge". That's been it so far. (Zero reactions from folks while talking on it)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That's it in a nutshell. Unlimited data you can't use! Sprint speeds have been pathetic since last year here in Philly where I'm at. I dare not even attempt to pull a webpage when away from wifi.

I've long given up hope that speeds will one day improve. If nothing else, I now understand how they're able to provide unlimited data--it's not fast enough to make a difference.

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk

Idk what yall talkin bout but I'm getting about 10 mb down on wimax lol so imagine when us blessed sprint customers get lte unlimited

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

runner7395

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
I have the Skyrocket, and I can get through at least 14 hours of normal use (I hardly speak on the phone).
What would you say is the average battery use on the Note, for a 'normal' day?

I only really need about 14-15 hours of use (stand by). Also, I'm wondering, if I upgrade to this, would I need my iPad 2?

To be honest I always like to keep my phones topped off so when I'm at my desk during the day I leave them plugged in. On weekends I have had no troubles going all day w/o needing to charge my phone or even getting close to running low.

I still like my iPad but I don't use it as much. I find that I'm always just reaching for the Note instead. The Note is such a great size to use for most everything. I still do like to watch movies on my iPad so hang onto it but you probably won't use it as much if you get the Note.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Idk what yall talkin bout but I'm getting about 10 mb down on wimax lol so imagine when us blessed sprint customers get lte unlimited

You are the 1%! (My experience on sprint was identical to the guy you quoted.)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well go over to the sprint forums now that ics came and nv development is underway its a lot of us now lol

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I went to Bestbuy today to look at the Note, but they didn't bloody have it on display. According to a rep, someone tried to steal it. Oh, really?

Anyway, I'll have to pay AT&T a visit this weekend to see if I like the size in my hand, etc.

runner7395

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
I went to Bestbuy today to look at the Note, but they didn't bloody have it on display. According to a rep, someone tried to steal it. Oh, really?

Anyway, I'll have to pay AT&T a visit this weekend to see if I like the size in my hand, etc.

Just remember, it takes some time to get used to the size but after you do, there's no turning back! When I walked out of the store with it the first time I thought I had just big mistake. Within a few days it felt normal.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
DAS you are clearly the Note Guru :) They should hire you to do commercials, LOL.

I had all but given up on it, especially after reading about the gamma issues on the screen, which most people in this group seem to ignore. But it's ALWAYS best to look at the positive benefits of something rather than nitpick like some are doing. And that's not to discount the fact that there is INDEED an issue with the blacks with the Super AMOLED screen. And with a screen this size, it's going to be a glaring issue when in low light.

That said, I think I'm beginning to lean towards the Note. I've played with it a few times and as the new phones get released with larger screens, the 5.3" screen on the Note won't like quite so big anymore, LOL.

Good discussion here you guys.. Am going to wait a bit longer though before making the move.

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I picked up my Note on March 30th and at first, there were little things abuot it, mostly the software, that I couldn't stand. Mostly tthe screen time out and auto locking. I have sense found some free software that has pretty much elimated the issue. I think i will keep it and look to sell my iPhone 4 soon. I also kind of want to get rid of my Kindle Fire now too.

I am able to use the Note with one hand if needed fortunately. I am 6' 9" and have larger than average hands. I did mess with the phone a few times at an ATT store for a few weeks to try it out. While there are some thing the iphone does that I wish I could still do, I don't think I will ever be able to use a phone with a smaller screen now.

Last edited:

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The Note is an amazing phone, I've spent hours drooling over it while playing on it at At&t and Best buy. I love it, I was even able to play the famous Kingdom Rush (Kingdom Rush | 2048 Gamers) computer internet game in the browser on the Note which left me flabbergasted. It played beautifully and fluidly. Everything about this phone is nice.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Been watching you for years on the net. The Note? Really? The pen and table ready disp? Why? The geek factor set in?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
DAS you are clearly the Note Guru :) They should hire you to do commercials, LOL.

Thanks for the kind words Jontalk. However, I'm no Guru. I don't have the expertise that many of these other posters have when it comes to flashing ROMs, rooting, detailed specs, and even concerning myself with data speed (I know for me I've never even tested my data speed on the Note).

For me, I was blown away last September when the Note was first announced. I watched that keynote by Samsung and I, along with everyone in that audience (you can tell by the reaction), had no idea this device was even on the radar until JK Shin pulled the device from his jacket pocket.

As soon as he showed it and described it, I said to my wife "that's the device I've longed for".

At the time I didn't think about specs or anything like that. All I knew was that finally, there was an all-in-one solution to the smartphone & tablet overload (especially on Android) that I was seeing hit the market.

In my opinion, what makes any device a true success is whether or not it solves a problem that people are experiencing. I believe that's what makes the Note so appealling to many. Samsung solved a problem that people had with trying to decide whether to spend, in most cases, $300-$500 for a tablet, and another $200 or more for a smartphone, and then having to carry them both around knowing that both devices basically did the same thing.

By making the Note, they put the best of both in one device. So now, I don't need to struggle with "should I buy a tablet?", "why do I need one?" "when and how am I going to use it?" Isn't this tablet thing just a luxury?"

All those questions go away with this device. And by throwing in the S-Pen functionality, they raised the bar even more. People can seriously buy this one device, and never have to think about ever shelling out $300-$500 for a tablet; PROBLEM SOLVED!

The testimony of this is that in the 5 months this device has been released they have sold over 5 million. People are switching their carrier to get it (myself included). Subscribers on Verizon & Sprint are begging for it.

By owning the Note, I can have a phone, tablet, and notepad all in one thin, lightweight, stylish, portable device; to say nothing of it's brilliant HD screen.

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words Jontalk. However, I'm no Guru. I don't have the expertise that many of these other posters have when it comes to flashing ROMs, rooting, detailed specs, and even concerning myself with data speed (I know for me I've never even tested my data speed on the Note).

For me, I was blown away last September when the Note was first announced. I watched that keynote by Samsung and I, along with everyone in that audience (you can tell by the reaction), had no idea this device was even on the radar until JK Shin pulled the device from his jacket pocket.

As soon as he showed it and described it, I said to my wife "that's the device I've longed for".

At the time I didn't think about specs or anything like that. All I knew was that finally, there was an all-in-one solution to the smartphone & tablet overload (especially on Android) that I was seeing hit the market.

In my opinion, what makes any device a true success is whether or not it solves a problem that people are experiencing. I believe that's what makes the Note so appealling to many. Samsung solved a problem that people had with trying to decide whether to spend, in most cases, $300-$500 for a tablet, and another $200 or more for a smartphone, and then having to carry them both around knowing that both devices basically did the same thing.

By making the Note, they put the best of both in one device. So now, I don't need to struggle with "should I buy a tablet?", "why do I need one?" "when and how am I going to use it?" Isn't this tablet thing just a luxury?"

All those questions go away with this device. And by throwing in the S-Pen functionality, they raised the bar even more. People can seriously buy this one device, and never have to think about ever shelling out $300-$500 for a tablet; PROBLEM SOLVED!

The testimony of this is that in the 5 months this device has been released they have sold over 5 million. People are switching their carrier to get it (myself included). Subscribers on Verizon & Sprint are begging for it.

By owning the Note, I can have a phone, tablet, and notepad all in one thin, lightweight, stylish, portable device; to say nothing of it's brilliant HD screen.

I hear ya. I am thinking of picking up the note and then selling me New Ipad as I am sure I'll have no use for it anymore. The only thing I'll miss is the iOS fluidity.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
It is sad isn't it? I rarely give my opinion on a gadget till I've tested\played with it myself. Hence if I don't get the Note, how can I comment on it?

Anyway, that's my story, and am sticking with it! LMAO

Been watching you for years on the net. The Note? Really? The pen and table ready disp? Why? The geek factor set in?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
DAS.. you're most welcome for the guru comment, though you articulate the essence of the Note better than anyone here in this forum, hence the 'guru' tag :) What's most intriguing to me is that you truly feel the Note is a replacement for both a phone AND a tablet, which given its size, makes it the smallest tablet on the market. Are you saying you lay it down on a table much like you would a tablet and type using both hands? Seems pretty small for that, LOL.

Regardless, you've stated repeatedly that Sammy created an entirely new category of device with its launch and obviously the world agrees, though sales of the Note pale in comparison to the iPhone. But Apple has the most creative and intensive marketing of any company; the caveat is they have their hands in your pocket constantly.

I may be mistaken, but when comparing issues reported here about the Note in comparison to those on the Skyrocket, the Note appears to be a bit more stable, sans the gamma clipping issue, which is no small thing. With a screen this large, Samsung would have been best to test viewing dark videos in low light places before releasing the device. The thread about the clipping issue grows daily and its clear every device produced suffers from it. That said, its still an awesome device in many respects, but not for everyone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol