Hand Gesture - Screenshot

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how to turn on the hand gesture where you wave your hand over the screen and it takes a screenshot? I can't seem to figure it out and I want to know if some sort of sensor or something is broken on my Note. I can take the screenshot using the S Pen, but I'd like to know how to do it using my hand.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Check this page out: Tips & Tricks: Galaxy Note | Samsung Cell Phone Article

In the "Motion Gestures" section is says to place your right hand in a "karate chop" position on the right edge of the screen, and sweep it to the left. I did this, and it took a screen shot. You can also capture one by pressing the home button and the power button.

Do you have the international or US version. Within settings, the Motion section only gives 4 options on the US version; Tilt to zoom, Pan to edit, shake to update, and turn over to mute.

I have been trying to perform this gesture since I got my Note in February. Unortunately, I've had no success :(

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
just tried it myself and it works. Its pretty cool. I think the trick is making sure your hand is making as much contact top to bottom of the screen as you can.

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have the USA version and I can't get it to work. I could care less about the functionality of being able to take a screenshot that way. It's more that if it doesn't work, then I want to know if there if something wrong with a sensor on my phone. It doesn't show up in the list of gestures in the settings though. I'm still in my 30 days with att so if it's hardware related I want to know so I can exchange my phone for another.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't seem like it should, but does using a screen protector matter?

My family is laughing at me because I can't get it to work :confused:

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have no screen protector on mine and still doesn't work. Hmm. Those of you with the US version where the gesture screenshot works, are you running a rom? Maybe a rom developed from the International version?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
:D I finally got it to work!!!

You really have to get the feel for how to move your hand over the screen without touching an icon or advancing the homescreens. However, once you've done it successfully once it comes pretty easy after that.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever be using this feature, but it is nice to know that I got it to work.

@badbradd2: It seems to be just one of those things you'll have to keep trying. Once you do it once, it will become second nature after that. :)

klee0032

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it and it works. It didn't work the way I read it but I figured out another way. I will try to explain. Below I copied and pasted the instructions from the samsung usa site. Tips & Tricks: Galaxy Note | Samsung Cell Phone Article.

You can screen capture without the S Pen by placing your right hand perpendicular to the right side of the screen (in a karate chop position) and sweeping left. If you are left-handed, you can use your left hand in the same manner, sweeping left to right.

Now let me explain. When I place my right hand on the right side and swipe left it doesn't work for me. I think because the inside of my palm is a little meatier than most it touches the screen first and just scrolls whatever I'm looking at. Now how I got it to work is doing the exact same thing but using the back side of my right hand and swiping from left to right. This is the exact opposite of what the instructions from samsung's website says. To explain in a little more detail. Place the back side of your right hand on the edge of the left side of the phone without touching the screen but keeping contact at all times. Now swipe your hand keeping it straight across the screen. Make sure you keep contact with the phone. Think about it like switching between home screens but with your whole hand. The best way I can describe it is like back handing a tennis ball but without a racket. It takes me at least two tries to get it to work but it does work. I guess it's something you have to work on. One more thing if your left handed it works that way too I tried it. It's a little awkward for me because I'm right handed but for the sake of me writing this I had to give a shot. I hope this helps. Oh BTW I have a ATT Galaxy Note without a custom ROM. I would like to root but I just haven't gotten that comfortable with how to do it. Maybe if I had another phone lying around I would give it a go.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It works with my Note also. I have a US version with stock ROM.

It takes a few tries, but eventually works. I believe it is a touchscreen thing instead of a motion sensor.

Just tried again, and got it to work without motion turned on.

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Finally got it to work. Yay! Jesus that was ridiculous. The fact that you said it was a touchscreen thing helped me to change the way I was brushing the screen with my hand.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski