Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default anyone use the Note for GPS on a long trip?

Just wondering if anyone has used their Note for navigation on a long trip yet and how did it hold up? I will be driving from NY to FL later this year and wonder if it will hold up or not. I used my old captivate for navigation from from NY to SC last year and after a few hours of the GPS and screen being on while being plugged into the car charger it would over heat and shut down. Just wondering if I will be running into that same problem or not.
    DAS

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

Default Re: anyone use the Note for GPS on a long trip?

Quote Originally Posted by jeeves744 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has used their Note for navigation on a long trip yet and how did it hold up? I will be driving from NY to FL later this year and wonder if it will hold up or not. I used my old captivate for navigation from from NY to SC last year and after a few hours of the GPS and screen being on while being plugged into the car charger it would over heat and shut down. Just wondering if I will be running into that same problem or not.
    I was just wondering why you have the screen on for so long? When using Google Navigation it typically turns off after so long, and only powers up when a new direction is being spoken?

I haven't used the Note for such a long journey, but I did use my Epic Touch 4g (before I sold it for the Note) to drive from Texas to Pennsylvania last year, and it held up just fine. I don't think you'll have a problem.

gps navigation put a severe drain on my battery, so I think it's safe to say it definitely won't make it.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I used it on a trip to a neighboring state last week. Since I'm familiar with the area I only had to use the Navigation App for a little bit. But I just turned off the screen and let it update me when a new direction was necessary (like previously mentioned)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlesious View Post
    gps navigation put a severe drain on my battery, so I think it's safe to say it definitely won't make it.
    I would think it would be plugged in. It will definitely hold up. There is mo reason it should not.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    I was just wondering why you have the screen on for so long? When using Google Navigation it typically turns off after so long, and only powers up when a new direction is being spoken?

I haven't used the Note for such a long journey, but I did use my Epic Touch 4g (before I sold it for the Note) to drive from Texas to Pennsylvania last year, and it held up just fine. I don't think you'll have a problem.
    I had it on all the time because it was nice to always see where I was and how much longer i would be on a certain road without turning it on. Plus i did not know it turns itself back on when there would be a turn coming up. That should solve any issue.

And yes of course it would be plugged in the whole time, hence why i was wondering if it would over heat

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

It would die quickly even with my 1A charger. I bought a 3.1A charger and the Note didn't die, but really kinda didn't charge, granted the screen was on the whole time with "dimming" enabled. It was a shor trip though. I'll go for a drive tonight and report back.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note.

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

UPDATE: drove about an hour. 3.1A Rocketfish dual-USB charger (highest amperage Best Buy offered, 3x wall charger output) with only Note charging. GPS, sensor aiding, wireless networks enabled. Screen on. "4G" HSPA+ the whole time. Only nav running. Says power saving disabled. Phone was at 58%, discharged to 55% in 1st half hour. Disappointed to say the least, my Captivate would actually charge quite well while GPS on.

Turning off wireless network, sensor aiding, and touch lights (DOH! had it set to "in the dark") seemed to help a tad but it still discharged

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note.
    Last edited by btswein; 04-17-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Jonneh 

I used my Navigon GPS for a short while in the Bay Area on my trip there last weekend. I noticed that the phone had lost a lot of battery power yet I had it plugged into my charger which did 1a. Thanks to all here for posting as it tells me that my charger was working - but not good enough. I noticed that LTE was in use there (not in Colorado yet) and it seems to use a little more power too but my speeds were unreal.

There was a thread a while back (like in Feb. right after launch) that touched on this. I don't remember there being a firm answer but it certainly has to do with what is being used to charge it. I believe the solution was to get a Samsung car dock. That always seemed to keep it charged. Other solutions produced mixed results with sometimes charging and sometimes loss of charge while doing certain tasks at once, like LTE data, Music Playback, and GPS. Even with the battery loss, unless you drive like 10-12 hours straight you would probably make it the whole way.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

I have the UK Note. I use gps most days and all day. I do a lot of driving. No issues charging whilst driving with screen on all the time. Without charging drops 15% every 2.5 hours.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread

Did 12 hours in one day with GPS and display on the whole time. The charger was able to barely charge it over the entire course of the day and after starting at 80%, it got fully charged after 11 hours.

I'm using a Blackberry lighter charger.

The other solution would to get a cheapo inverter and use the Samsung wall charger (yes, the irony does strike going from DC to AC to DC).

-m
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by mykey2k View Post
    Did 12 hours in one day with GPS and display on the whole time. The charger was able to barely charge it over the entire course of the day and after starting at 80%, it got fully charged after 11 hours.

I'm using a Blackberry lighter charger.

The other solution would to get a cheapo inverter and use the Samsung wall charger (yes, the irony does strike going from DC to AC to DC).

-m
    Did it seem like your Note was getting too warm or anything after the 12hours of charging with the GPS and screen on the whole time?

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

Mine overheats when I have it plugged into my external battery and listening to Spotify. It will shut off after about 30 minutes. I would imagine GPS would do the same.
    DAS

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

I took a 3 hour trip this past weekend, and thought about this thread so I used the Note to see what would happen.

My experience was that the device did not overheat, but with the screen display on the entire time, my battery charging did not keep up with battery consumption.

However, once I turned the screen off, with navigation still running in the background, the battery charging did surpass consumption and eveything worked fine. The screen would only light up when speaking a direction and turn off after about 1 minute or so.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    There was a thread a while back (like in Feb. right after launch) that touched on this. I don't remember there being a firm answer but it certainly has to do with what is being used to charge it. I believe the solution was to get a Samsung car dock. That always seemed to keep it charged.
    Anyone can help with such a car dock? I'm definitely interested in a car charger with a little more oomph.

I was using a cheap generic USB car charger (~$1 ), and my battery level went from 100% down to yellow in 2 hours while plugged in. LTE was on, using Waze & Google Navigation simultaneously, checking traffic, email and everything. I kept the phone busy for the entire 2 hours, since my collegue was driving and we were navigating across Manhattan from NJ to Long Island. I know the cheap charger was indeed working, because if I turn the screen off, the battery level started to climb up. I wonder what would have happend if my drive was 3~4 hours long...

I don't think that is normal

Quote Originally Posted by mmohn01 View Post
    Mine overheats when I have it plugged into my external battery and listening to Spotify. It will shut off after about 30 minutes. I would imagine GPS would do the same.
    I don't think that is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlesious View Post
    You just have to plug it in. Why would you not? That's why they make car chargers.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread

Quote Originally Posted by jeeves744 View Post
    Did it seem like your Note was getting too warm or anything after the 12hours of charging with the GPS and screen on the whole time?
    I did recall it starting to get a bit warm (around 43 to 45C). I pulled it away from the back of the mount so it would get a little more airflow and it cooled down to 36 to 38 after that.

-m

We drove from North Texas to KC a few weeks back. With the screen on at defaults and using the GPS. the Samsung car charger cannot keep up. DIM the screen a bit and it will be fine. I had mine in a Samsung car mount.
    Last edited by shansmi; 04-24-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Current Device:Samsung GSIII
    Samsung Note, GS II and SkyRocket

I was using my gnote gps last weekend, i was looking for san sauce restaurant funny is that it direct me to 24 hrs fitness center And say i reach my destination, its just a block off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gavinfabl View Post
    I have the UK Note. I use gps most days and all day. I do a lot of driving. No issues charging whilst driving with screen on all the time. Without charging drops 15% every 2.5 hours.
    I have simillar experience. I drive for two to three full days per month. I use 2A charger with original samsung cable. I usually empty the batery for three hours and then charge it. Until the end of the day it is fully charged while constantnly on Copilot GPS.

I am wondering though if constant sunlight could damage it (I am driving through Balkan countries and it's almost always sunny). Can anyone give me some advice?