galaxy note vs galaxy S 3

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Which phone would you buy and why???

I wanted the Note. Now the Galaxy S 3 is on the way... Might get the GS3..!

First thing I would say is that the Note is not merely a smartphone, so there is no device on the market like it. Thus the two don't equally compare, because the use cases are different.

It's important to remember that the Note is for the person that wants to carry an all-in-one device, whereas, the GS3, and every other smartphone, is designed for one purpose.

Ultimately, I believe it will come down to what do you want from a device. If you want a device that allows you to carry one device that has adequate screensize for a tablet replacement, all features of a high end smartphone, the added functionality of an electronic pen & notepad, and you want this in a lightweight, portable package then the Note is your device.

However, if the large screen is too big for yor comfort, an electronic pen & notepad feature has little or no interest to you, and you're perectly happy owning or carrying a tablet for web browsing, eReading, and viewing videos, then a smartphone likle the GS3 should be your choice.

Personally, since owning the Note I have sold my GS2, Tab 7.0, and Kindle Fire, and now just carry my Note with me into meetings at work, around the home, at church, and everywhere I go.

I still own an iPad, but it never leaves the house and I barely pick it up anymore. My kids use theiPad primarily for their entertainment.

Reactions: aznberry

aznberry

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You made me changed my mind again.. lol Probably get the Note instead..
Forgot about the S pen and how it's also a phone and tablet in one.

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Considering the Galaxy S 3 has not even been announced yet and does not yet exist, I would say the real only possibility IS the Galaxy Note. Of the two options anyway.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
SFDroid.. am curious if you're eligible for an upgrade or if you buy new phones at full price. Not that familiar with the EVO 3D, but am assuming you're already with ATT?

As for myself, I'm going to wait and see what the May 3rd intro brings. I may also wait to see if Apple introduces the next generation iPhone in June, which isn't far away either.

Bottom line: While the Note is indeed unique, it's not without its problems, though we can be sure that if the next generation Galaxy phone is indeed the S3, it too will have its issues. Speaking only for myself, I am seeking a next gen phone with a big ass battery due to LTE in the area, that's reliable, fast and is capable of many things other than making calls and checking email, LOL. And yes, the Note fits this to many degrees, but I see so many issues reported on this forum it concerns me. My two cents.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem is we really don't have any idea what the Galaxy S3 will bring. Some reports say it will have a 4.8" screen that is 1080p, some say it will have a kick butt Quadcore A15 chip, and some say it will have the Mali 600 that will rival even the latest GPU in the new IPAD. We just don't know. I would day wait until May 3rd before you make a decision.

As far as the note the only issue i know of with it is the Black Clipping(Contrast issue). Other then that it runs pretty flawless.

I can't wait to see what the Galaxy S 3 will bring, but unless it is way ahead of the Note in pretty much every respect, except screen size and the s-pen, i can't see it being something huge to wait for. But then it is the next gen of hardware so it should be right. Wait until May 3rd, and then we all will know.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Personally, after being spoiled rotten by this 5.3 inch display, unless a device has a screen size to match the Note I can't even consider it.
Even looking at my Manager's Galaxy Nexus with a 4.65 in. display what I thought was big at the time seems too little to get anything accomplished using it.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly the SIII is a incremental update kind of related to the upgrade from iPhone4 to 4s. Still take the Note.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note.

Reggie

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly the SIII is a incremental update kind of related to the upgrade from iPhone4 to 4s. Still take the Note.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note.

Still all rumors - and no facts yet.
I would expect that Samsung is looking to fix some of the issues with the Skyrocket (battery life) and add some more features (better resolution)

But who knows

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well we're only a few weeks away from finding out just exactly what Sammy is going to release next and who knows.. there might be a next gen Note coming out too.

And I'm not at all surprised about being used to a screen as large as the Note, but as you've said repeatedly, it's not just a smart phone ;)

As to issues I see here in this forum with the Note, there seem to be far more than just the gamma clipping. Many report serious lagging, difficulty connecting to WiFi, etc. though I suspect some of these are just unfamiliarity with Android, which I suspect I'll have to deal with once I make the switch.

But as of now, I'm just going to wait and see. If I didn't have a phone it would be one thing, but I don't want to waste an upgrade either :)

Rally Android

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Two things trump the next high end Galaxy phone: 5.3" & s-pen.

I seriously doubt either of those things will be on that phone. But it will be on the Note 2 :D

Derfel64

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Everybody is assuming the S3 (or whatever it's called) will be around Nexus size. 4.6, 4.8, it depends on the rumor. But remember, nobody knows what the phone is or looks like, and Samsung has been trying the internals in dummy boxes to keep the appearance secret.

What if Samsung wants to catch everybody with their pants down? What could be so radical, so crazy and unexpected to blow us away? You got it: a mega-screen. In my dreams, it's even bigger than the Note. When I put the Note in my pocket, I see that it fits just fine, and I see that as wasted space. Would you rather have coins beside your phone or a bigger screen?

So I know this is not the end of the road: there are bigger phones in the pipeline, probably by Samsung itself. Perhaps it's called the S3, or the Note 2, or the Note 6.0. But it's possible to squeeze in a normal pocket an even bigger screen, and *then* it would make sense to increase the resolution. 1920 x 1200 in 4.6 incher is pointless and overkill.

As for the differentiation between the S3 and the Note, the problem for the latter is that it can't get thinner because of the S-Pen. The Note will probably stay above 9 mm in its next version with a thicker S-Pen, while the S3 will probably go for crazy-thin (the S2 at 8.5 mm was the thinnest smartphone when released). A thinner form factor could also make the mega-screen easier to handle.

PS: and if it turns out to be less than 5.3, MEH. And I really mean MEH! After trying the Note I just don't care about megapixels, gigaherzs, voice control and whatever. I want MORE SCREEN! I can live without the S-Pen but I can't live with a smaller screen.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The rumor that I saw was the screen is bigger on the phone but very very little bezel. There's a pic on either AC or some other site but I know I saw it today. Looks much like the S2 with almost no bezel. As far as a six inch screen I think that's kind of realistic since it seems android phone are moving to software buttons like on the Nexus that disappear when you want them to. My perfect storm for the Note 2 or whatever it's called is the same size with no buttons at the bottom and very little bezel. That would be sick!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Rally Android

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
What if Samsung wants to catch everybody with their pants down? What could be so radical, so crazy and unexpected to blow us away? You got it: a mega-screen. In my dreams, it's even bigger than the Note. When I put the Note in my pocket, I see that it fits just fine, and I see that as wasted space. Would you rather have coins beside your phone or a bigger screen?

They want to make sure this phone will sell to as many people as possible and making another super-size phone would alienate many people from getting this new galaxy phone. The Galaxy Note is a niche product (even with 5 million sold).

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
They want to make sure this phone will sell to as many people as possible and making another super-size phone would alienate many people from getting this new galaxy phone. The Galaxy Note is a niche product (even with 5 million sold).

+1 on the idea that Sammy wants to sell more of the "S3". Nevertheless, I find it had to say GNote is a niche device at 5 million sold. Some phones don't even get to that number. I am curious to know how many Droid Razr have been sold. If it's less than 5 mil would that be considered a niche product?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't think any device that sells more than 5 million is niche product.

The G-Note is an incredible device. I really don't think anyone who has truly gotten accustomed to the 5.3 screen will want to go back to anything smaller regardless of the specs on the "New Galaxy".

To draw me away from the Note a device must have at 5.3 in. screen or greater.

Derfel64

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I posted some sales data you probably haven't seen in a thread with the same name. I just thought you could be interested...perhaps the S2 is "nicher" than the Note!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance