Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By DAS
  • 1 Post By S-Doo-1965
  • 1 Post By Mercury81
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Amazon drops price on Note to $229.99

Was just checking prices on Amazon and noticed they dropped the price another $20 for either black or white Notes

Still waiting to pull the trigger myself though..

Happy Price Drop everyone!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Amazon drops price on Note to $229.99

P.S. Amazon does NOT charge a restocking fee during the first 30 days, tax or shipping either

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    P.S. Amazon does NOT charge a restocking fee during the first 30 days, tax or shipping either

If you are grand fathered into an unlimited data plan, you may loose that plan when you purchase through Amazon! Be careful!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I am totally serious when I say be careful about the 30 day trial. Using the big *** phone changes your perceptions of your old phone. The old phone feels weird and of course it is not weird. I think you have the right idea about researching ahead of time.

Is this true? That there is no sales tax on the phone when upgrading to a new contract? I live in California btw. I have never ordered a phone on Amazon before.

Is It ture? Why there is no sales tax on the phone when updating to a new contract?

Just did a live chat with an Amazon rep, its true, with a 2 year contract, it has free 2 day shipping and no tax! What a deal.
    DAS

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaLaLa View Post
    Just did a live chat with an Amazon rep, its true, with a 2 year contract, it has free 2 day shipping and no tax! What a deal.
    Please be careful with purchasing from 3rd party retailers. I'm a big Amazon shopper, so this is no knock on them, but a word of caution to do your homework.

Many 3rd party phone retailers, such as Radio Shack and others, have a seperate contract you are locked into other than the 2yr carrier contract. Meaning if you decide to return the phone, while your agreement with At&t may be clear, if the retailer also has a seperate contract you may be responsible for an ETF with the retailer.

I learned that when you purchase a contract with Radio Shack, you are also signing a 6 month contract with them. So if you return the phone to the Shack within the carrier's return period, while the carrier will not charge an ETF, the Shack surely will.

Just make sure you ask the questions, and get a clear understanding of what you're signing before you decide to buy from a 3rd party retailer.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

The first time I called Amazon and asked about the contract they reminded me that they are NOT the service provider though it's required for the upgrade. So I called AT&T and they said when you purchase from a third party and are an EXISTING customer, you call them to activate the phone and then they switch over the same plan you have now under the new 2 year contract.

I have never ordered a phone from them either, but there are lots of people that have. And if you wish to return it, they email you a return shipping label and drop it off. She also said that if there's a problem with the phone, they will send out a replacement along with the return shipping label so you are not without a phone.

Not having to pay CA sales tax is BIG on its own. Since the retail price of the Note is what.. $600+, the sales tax alone here in Marin would come to over $50. Bottom line: $230 vs. $350 is worth going with Amazon.
    DAS

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

Cool. Sounds like a plan for anyone considering the Note.

The first time I called Amazon and asked about the contract they reminded me that they are NOT the service provider though it's required for the upgrade. So I called AT&T and they said when you purchase from a third party and are an EXISTING customer, you call them to activate the phone and then they switch over the same plan you have now under the new 2 year contract.

I have never ordered a phone from them either, but there are lots of people that have. And if you wish to return it, they email you a return shipping label and drop it off. She also said that if there's a problem with the phone, they will send out a replacement along with the return shipping label so you are not without a phone.

Not having to pay CA sales tax is BIG on its own. Since the retail price of the Note is what.. $600+, the sales tax alone here in Marin would come to over $50. Bottom line: $230 vs. $350 is worth going with Amazon.
    Same here which is why this is such a greeeat deal. So who do you call to activate the phone, AT&T or Amazon?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

AT&T is the service provider, not Amazon so you call them. I take it you're not an ATT customer now? Call them first to confirm what they told me, though I've been with them for years.. What I'm wondering is if there will be further price drops. With the leaked images and vid of the new Samsung Galaxy phone, I'm willing to be we'll see Amazon drop the price on the Skyrocket to $50. And then there's the possibility of the next gen Note to be announced then as well. Time will tell.

just ordered the phone...cant wait till its here ahhh.
    Last edited by LaLaLa; 04-22-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    DAS

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaLaLa View Post
    just ordered the phone...cant wait till its here ahhh.
    Cool. Let us know when you're up and running.

Don't know if anyone cares but whatever haha. Just got my Note in the mail today, the thing is a BEEEEEAST. Coming from a HTC Inspire 4G, this phone is super duper fast, no problems at all. I rooted it and am going to use an ICS rom soon enough. But sheesh, the screen is beautiful and IMO, is the perfect size (coming from a 4.3 inch screen, its not as big of a jump as I thought it would be), eager to test this bad *** phone out the next couple of days and see how the battery holds up.
    DAS

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

@LaLaLa, Congrats on getting your Note today.

I know you will enjoy it. You're a bit braver than I because I don't have the heart to move beyond stock, and try rooting or flashing a custom rom.

Nonetheless, over the next few days as you set things up please report back on your thoughts about the device.

The Note is not as big and uncomfortable as people think it is once they have one and use it.

Enjoy!

I wonder if people who say the note is to big remember when they said 64k is more memory then any one would ever need?
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, Centro(AT&T), Palm Pre Plus(AT&T), Nook Color, HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note(AT&T), Nexus 7 (32), Nexus 4 (16), Nexus 7 2013 LTE, Nexus 5 32
    iPhone4Rocks! likes this.

I say bigger is better , long live the Gnote!

sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk
    iPhone4Rocks! likes this.

Hahahah, man so far so good. Its like the device of my dreams.
    DAS

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by S-Doo-1965 View Post
    I wonder if people who say the note is to big remember when they said 64k is more memory then any one would ever need?
    That's funny, but so right. My first mp3 player was made by Creative Labs and was 128 mb. I paid like $110 for the device and thought I had all the space I would ever need.

We all know what happened to that idea. :rolleyes:

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Last night I saw AmazonWireless has the SGN for $230. so I took the plunge......then jumped back out the water and canceled my order. **hangs head**

As much as I want this phone, I just don't want another bill. Currently have 3 lines with Sprint & I I let my impulses do the thinking for me. This is a great deal for someone looking to get it on AT&T. I believe this is why so many of them have already been sold--tired of hoping your carrier gets it. Maybe I just need to go the international route so I won't get locked into a 2-yr agreement.

I'm still dumbfounded Tmo is getting this before Sprint.
    DAS

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

@ScandaLex:

I understand your dilemma. I was with Sprint for over 10+ years, and had 5 lines on the "everything data" plan.

I did decide (just my line) to make the jump to At&t for the Note, but the truth is I had been waiting for this device since September and was already geared up.

I will say that buying an international Note, and not signing a two year contract with At&t will not unfortunately save you any money.

I don't have a contract because I paid full price ($650) from At&t for mine, but my monthly bill is the same as those who do have a contract.

The reason for that is the carrier still charges the same monthly price for data, voice, and text whether you're on contract or not. In fact, in hindsight, I should have signed the two year agreement so my out-of-pocket upfront cost would have been about $300 less.

Although the early termination fee is $325, At&t drops this fee by $10 each month, so you could get the device from Amazon for $230, sign a two year agreement, enjoy the Note for say 10 months (probably the time it would take for Sprint to get it), thereby reducing the ETF by $100, cancel the contract for $225, and have paid less ($555) or about the same as buying the international version.

If I had thought this through, that's what I should have done. I would then sell the At&t version, reactivate my line on Sprint, and use the sale price to pay for the Sprint version.
    Last edited by DAS; 04-25-2012 at 12:51 PM.

I have never ordered a phone from them either, but uthere are lots of people that have. And if you wish to return it, they email you a return shipping label and drop it off. She also said that if there's a problem with the phone, they will send out a replacement along with the return shipping label so you are not without a phone.

Just so you know... Walmart has a policy of charging you tax ONLY on the net contract price of your phone in Cali (not the full no-contract retail price as some other local retailers do). Not as good as the no tax Amazon offer but much better than tax on the full $600.00 to $800.00+ retail value of most of these devices.

Not bad at all. Still the Amazon deal is the best one out there for those looking to upgrade. They even threw in a free car charger, and shipped super fast (free 2 day shipping ftw).