Screen scratches???

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I'm getting the Note!
I've been reading a lot of reviews and something that came up in a couple of them was screen scratches. Nothing major but a scratch is a scratch!
I currently have an Atrix 2 and it's screen is perfect. I lay it face down all the time and sometimes it gets thrown in my pocket with loose change.
Does anyone have a Note that they've scratched? I like my phone "naked" and don't want to have to worry.....

johntimoteo

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I recently got back scratch on it. It's about half an inch long and I have no clue how it got there. Resell value just dropped a lot. I'm sad lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Antheleon

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I like my phone as naked as possible too. I got the Glas.t from spigen and I can honestly say its the best screen protector I have ever had. Its made of tempered glass so it feels exactly like the stock glass and there's no issues with the S-Pen

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Tapatalk 2

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used a screen protector on any of my Notes, and I have yet to get a scratch. I'm also careful that nothing else ever goes in the pocket that my phone is in.

iPhone4Rocks!

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There's no way in hell I'd rock any phone, esp. this bad ass phone without a screen protector haha. From what I've heard, the Note has gorilla glass, can anyone confirm that?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
There is not a device made that is totally scratch proof. Like any expensive investment the owner has to be aware of how they use, store, carry, and protect it.

I don't like cases and other things that add bulk to my devices, but a nice clear screen protector is probably a worthy investment.

Gorilla glass, and even screen protectors are not fail proof. At the end of the day l still have to be responsible with the Note.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
There's no way in hell I'd rock any phone, esp. this bad ass phone without a screen protector haha. From what I've heard, the Note has gorilla glass, can anyone confirm that?

I'm guessing, no. My Captivate touted Gorilla Glass in every ad. The Note doesn't mention it at all.

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: PaulF and DAS

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I am glad to see that the Note does use Gorilla Glass. Thanks for the info.

I fail to see how a piece of plastic is going to stop anything hard enough to scratch Gorilla Glass. With a hardness of 9 on the Mohs scale, very few things can scratch it. Watch out for diamond jewelry., though. BTW My 2 year old Captivate is scratch free with no protector.

Gorilla Glass - What Is Gorilla Glass?.

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I am glad to see that the Note does use Gorilla Glass. Thanks for the info.

I fail to see how a piece of plastic is going to stop anything hard enough to scratch Gorilla Glass. With a hardness of 9 on the Mohs scale, very few things can scratch it. Watch out for diamond jewelry., though. BTW My 2 year old Captivate is scratch free with no protector.

Gorilla Glass - What Is Gorilla Glass?.

All it really takes is a properly placed grain of sand, or anything that contains silica really. So it would be wise to keep it away from the beach, or the construction site, or wherever since the stuff is everywhere.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
All it really takes is a properly placed grain of sand, or anything that contains silica really. So it would be wise to keep it away from the beach, or the construction site, or wherever since the stuff is everywhere.
Sand is mostly quartz which is reference mineral for 7 on the hardness scale.so we can argue if sand can scratch Gorilla Glass, but that was not my point, To be clearer, plastic is not stronger than quartz much less stronger than something harder than Gorilla Glass. There are Gorilla Glass sheets for protection, I guess.

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Sand is mostly quartz which is reference mineral for 7 on the hardness scale.so we can argue if sand can scratch Gorilla Glass, but that was not my point, To be clearer, plastic is not stronger than quartz much less stronger than something harder than Gorilla Glass. There are Gorilla Glass sheets for protection, I guess.

We could argue but it would get us no where because I'm sure neither of us have the scientific data to back either of our claims. :p
But I do know that there are stories all over the inter-webs of people scratching their GG screens without knowing how and some have come to conclusions of it being sand or whatever in their pockets. That "story" has come up numerous times which leads me to believe that there might be some truth behind it.

Better safe than sorry I guess. :)

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
you can also have tiny metal shavings in your pockets from coins, keys, etc. rubbing against each other in your pocket. Those tiny shavings can scratch your screen too.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know where I'm coming from. I took geology in HS and college. I am taking the MOH scale for what it is, a list of minerals in order of who scratches who. The lab was to identify different minerals by the scratch tests. The most prevalent mineral by far is silicon dioxide(crystals are called quartz and it is also in glass) making up most of sand. Quartz is a 7 and doesn't scratch a 9. It is an extremely simple test. I have cut a lot of glass and you can't cut tempered glass, You cut it before tempering. If you actually scratched the actual glass on the Note, you break the surface tension and wind up with pile of Gorilla sand.

I guessing you guys are are talking about scratching some kind of optical or safety coating not the glass. Maybe we are talking about two different things.

Are windows scratched in sand storms? Inquiring minds want know. :)

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Mohs scale is not based in scientific fact but there is probably different variables and characteristics Gorilla Glass is put under before going to market. Like you mention, there might be a "coating" that is susceptible to scratching, and that's what I mean, I doubt either of us has an example GG developed from each type of device that we can examine and run through controlled testing with different types of substances, omitting and re-emitting factors. We must also take into account that the hardness of Quartz and the such is a natural process where GG is man-made, and man is flawed.

Again, not to argue but with your assessment that tempered glass (eg. GG) would shatter if scratched at all then it would make it shatter-resistant and scratch-proof, because it would otherwise crack into pieces once it was scratched.

I don't think any of us can deny what are the facts of scientific data but in regards to GG, what is "claimed" within a sustained lab environment against real-world usage, I tend to side with experience.

I hope you haven't taken this conversation the wrong way. If you feel I am trying to undermine you in any way I can just leave it alone.

Just so you know where I'm coming from. I took geology in HS and college. I am taking the MOH scale for what it is, a list of minerals in order of who scratches who. The lab was to identify different minerals by the scratch tests. The most prevalent mineral by far is silicon dioxide(crystals are called quartz and it is also in glass) making up most of sand. Quartz is a 7 and doesn't scratch a 9. It is an extremely simple test. I have cut a lot of glass and you can't cut tempered glass, You cut it before tempering. If you actually scratched the actual glass on the Note, you break the surface tension and wind up with pile of Gorilla sand.

I guessing you guys are are talking about scratching some kind of optical or safety coating not the glass. Maybe we are talking about two different things.

Are windows scratched in sand storms? Inquiring minds want know. :)

theone33#AC

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I got note 2 days ago .... got scratched in 2 days,how?, dont know.. was it like that? dont know ...not big but yes it can get scratched. It never left my sight.... :'(

vvt-i

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla glass doesn't make it scratch proof...currently using a moshi ivisor and it works great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173