1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default Universal Inbox

As a recently converted BlackBerry user, I have many questions. My most pressing question currently is "where on the heck is the inbox!?"
    I have configured my Gmail account, and it's within the Gmail icon. My work email is on the homescreen within the locked email icon. Finally sms/mms messages go to my message icon. Is there somewhere that will display all messages? Maybe a universal inbox? I did set up Social Hub, but everytime I sent an email, it would be sent twice. I assume due to social hub and Gmail both sending the same message.
    So, is there such a thing as a universal inbox? Is there any apps you could suggest?

Thanks (again) in advance!
    DAS

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

Default Re: Universal Inbox

@ jonholmes: Welcome to the forum.

I personally use the regular mail app (not gmail app) that comes with the Note. I find that if you set up your email accounts using the mail app, you will have the benefit of an universal inbox.

I currently have 7 email accounts set up (2 gmail, 5 yahoo, and one Exchange). When I select the mail icon I have it set to default "All inboxes" so I can see all my email no matter where it came from.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know. Others may have some other options, but don't worry, we'll get you fixed up!

By the way, one of my favorite apps is "Screen Off & Lock" You can find it in the Play Store for free. Whenever, I get an Android device it's always the first app I install.

It allows you to press an icon on the homescreen and turn the display off. I find it must more efficient than hunting for the on/off button on the side or waiting for the device to timeout on its own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Will your suggestion allow sms/mms to come to the inbox as well?
    DAS

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonholmes View Post
    Unfortunately, no.

That's not say there is not a way that others have found to accomplish this, but for my needs having that level of functionality is not a priority.

I'm sure some other users will chime in momentarily.

When I had the Blackberry Curve (it's been a while), I believe there was such an option to include all in coming messages whether text or email? I've been away from the BB OS for so long, that I have since adapted to Android so I guess I don't miss or need it as much.

I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted stock ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jonholmes View Post
    Give GoSMS a try. It's free in the Market, err, Play Store (what a dumb name!).

There is an option for SMS for exchange accounts. I don't think so for other accounts.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

I don't think I follow. Yes, you can sync your sms messages over exchange. It allows you to receive sms on your work computer as opposed to having to check your phone all day long. I do have that set up. But, on my phone they are not in the same inbox. I have not seen a setting for this. Have I overlooked something?

The social hub does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    PaulF 

Quote Originally Posted by dweb1024 View Post
    The social hub does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Brilliant. I usually try all the pre installed icons and it irritates me that I missed that.
    DAS

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

Wow! All this time I thought Social Hub was for Facebook and Twitter. I didn't realize Social Hub was a universal inbox for emails & text messages.

Thank you! It's nice.

No problem. I work for at&t and i sell Samsung phones the most. Been using social hub since infuse. That point alone helps me sell a blackberry person into a Samsung android 99% of the time.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I just switched from BB to the Note. While your salesmanship may have been good, BB's downward spiral helped

This is probably a dumb question, but since I'm about to make the jump from iOS to Android, when you set up the email accounts, does the default account for sending emails automatically become your Gmail and if so, can you select a different account instead? And if so, how is that done? I'm sure I'm going to have tons of questions once I get going but learning something new is always fun! Muaaahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jaxupra View Post
    I just switched from BB to the Note. While your salesmanship may have been good, BB's downward spiral helped
    Lol good choice either way. A gmail app and a mail app come loaded on the note. You do have to have a gmail for apps and other things similar to apple id. The email app can be for any other including gmail. You can have up to eight email accounts.

sent from the phone Jesus would have used.

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but since I'm about to make the jump from iOS to Android, when you set up the email accounts, does the default account for sending emails automatically become your Gmail and if so, can you select a different account instead? And if so, how is that done? I'm sure I'm going to have tons of questions once I get going but learning something new is always fun! Muaaahahahaha
    You can always choose to not sync your gmail account. haha trust me, when you go through your new phone, whatever Android phone it is, you'll get used to it in a couple of weeks tops (this is coming from a former iOS user).

Thanks guys.. All my contacts are in my Gmail account, so I'll sync it for contacts of course. If I understand correctly, you're saying I should install an email app rather than use the native one in order to select a DIFFERENT email account as the default, correct? I guess this is one of many differences between iOS and Android. Thanks.
    DAS

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    Thanks guys.. All my contacts are in my Gmail account, so I'll sync it for contacts of course. If I understand correctly, you're saying I should install an email app rather than use the native one in order to select a DIFFERENT email account as the default, correct? I guess this is one of many differences between iOS and Android. Thanks.
    Jontalk, you won't need to install a different app to assign a default account.

I have 7 email accounts and only use the native email app. When an email comes in I press the app icon and it takes me to the inbox of that email account.

I used the Social Hub briefly to experience the universal inbox concept this thread is talking about, but this user found the universal inbox (7 emails & text messages) way too busy for my liking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums