With the GS3 Out what do you expect from Note 2?

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
A five core processor and 160gb ram, 4gb rom!!!!!
Would be crazy though. I think if a note 2 comes out it would have close to the same specs as the s3 but maybe more refined and or slightly better in some areas. More pixels on the screen, they would have the quad-core processor for sure.

Reactions: equishd

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
IMHO the only thing that needs improving on the GNote now is the battery life. If I could get through a full day of my usual use it would make the phone dang near perfect. If you want to throw in some of the GS3 goodies that would be fine as well, but improved battery life is all I need for now.

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
IMHO the only thing that needs improving on the GNote now is the battery life. If I could get through a full day of my usual use it would make the phone dang near perfect. If you want to throw in some of the GS3 goodies that would be fine as well, but improved battery life is all I need for now.

Your right. I didn't think of that. Battery life is good IMO now but better doesn't hurt. Also maybe this whole slow down of the camera shutter.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I haven't pulled the trigger on the Note, but the GS3's 4.8" screen, coupled with all the other advanced features, amazing camera, S voice, etc. clearly sets it apart from the Note. And I would think some of these features will make it to the Note 2, along with some more development with the S Pen.

For my purposes, I think the GS3 is far more to my liking than the note though. Glad everyone here loves theirs though :)

mordak

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I didn't really feel the GS3 was a very significant update over the Note. And realistically I feel the next version of the Note should have Quad Cores 1.5 ghz or better, 1GB Ram minimum, 32GB Internal storage, a 12 megapixel camera and maybe a flash led for the front facing camera. The screen is big but honestly I don't think I would want to go back to anything smaller. My wife's Pantech Burst feels like a child's phone.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

I agree that improving battery life should be Sammy's focus on the Note 2. Once the current Note is upgraded to ICS, and the premium suite added, the device is going to be as close to perfect for my needs as any one device could be.

This is the first device, in a long string of devices, that I have not felt the need or desire to replace anytime soon.

However, I do hope Samsung delays the release of the Note 2 until next year. I really hope Samsung has the patience to wait until 2013, so if there are any major improvements they have time to incorporate them so that the Note 2 clearly stands out from the current version. I would be disappointed if they release the Note 2, with only minor differences from what we use today.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree that improving battery life should be Sammy's focus on the Note 2. Once the current Note is upgraded to ICS, and the premium suite added, the device is going to be as close to perfect for my needs as any one device could be.

This is the first device, in a long string of devices, that I have not felt the need or desire to replace anytime soon.

However, I do hope Samsung delays the release of the Note 2 until next year. I really hope Samsung has the patience to wait until 2013, so if there are any major improvements they have time to incorporate them so that the Note 2 clearly stands out from the current version. I would be disappointed if they release the Note 2, with only minor differences from what we use today.

Agreed on all points!

While there are a few "tweaks" that I would like to see (e.g. bigger battery, better/faster camera, A15-generation processor, more memory, etc.), most are just improvements on already great features. I'd rather wait a year to get real improvements.

In fact, I personally don't see why many of the software "improvements" of the S3 such as S-Voice cannot be "back-ported" to the Galaxy Note. Indeed, I actually expect that to happen; if not "officially" from Samsung then most definitely by enterprising hackers (see XDA).

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Rumors are starting to appear on the Internet about the "Note 2" and while they are still unsubstantiated rumors, they are starting to take a solid form. The major specs I have been able to gather are:

- Samsung Exynos 5250 processor
- 1.5 GBytes of RAM
- 5.5-inch SuperAMOLED display
- WSXGA+ resolution (1680x1050)
- 8-megapixel camera with improved optics and electronics
- October 2012 release!

Most of the specs seem pretty good. The screen is not a SuperAMOLED Plus and is of the PenTile matrix variety but with a 360 dpi, the human eye cannot distinguish individual pixels: if true, the screen should be absolutely phenomenal. The 1.5 GBytes of RAM seems weird, however, and I expect/hope that it gets bumped up to a full 2 GBytes. And the fact that the camera is still "only" 8-megapixels is a little disappointing but, truth be known, I really don't need anything better and I seriously doubt that most other people do, either. Except for high-end DSLRs, most digital cameras don't have much better; so if the optics and electronics are indeed better, then the camera could be quite impressive.

But the best news is that tt seems that the 5250 will support LTE. If that is so, then it's likely that the US-versions of the Note 2 will forego the use of a Qualcomm chip. While I think the Qualcomm S4 Krait with it's A15-based architecture is the best smartphone chip on the market -- yes, even better than the quad-core, A9 Exynos 4412 -- I hope and expect the Samsung Exynos 5250 to be even better. But worst case, if the Samsung Exynos 5520 is still not compatible with the LTE frequencies and encoding used in North America (still a possibility, though hopefully not likely), then I hope our version of the "Note 2" at least gets the Qualcomm Krait S4 Pro processor with the Adreno 320 GPU. If it comes to that, then the S4 Pro shouldn't be a bad second choice.

If the specs are true, the "Note 2" looks like an impressive phone but with the AT&T Note only being out for a few months, do any of you think the "Note 2" is a worthy upgrade?

Now if they only put the power button on top instead of across from the volume rocker.

seeingwhite

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Rumors are starting to appear on the Internet about the "Note 2" and while they are still unsubstantiated rumors, they are starting to take a solid form. The major specs I have been able to gather are:

- Samsung Exynos 5250 processor
- 1.5 GBytes of RAM
- 5.5-inch SuperAMOLED display
- WSXGA+ resolution (1680x1050)
- 8-megapixel camera with improved optics and electronics
- October 2012 release!

Most of the specs seem pretty good. The screen is not a SuperAMOLED Plus and is of the PenTile matrix variety but with a 360 dpi, the human eye cannot distinguish individual pixels: if true, the screen should be absolutely phenomenal. The 1.5 GBytes of RAM seems weird, however, and I expect/hope that it gets bumped up to a full 2 GBytes. And the fact that the camera is still "only" 8-megapixels is a little disappointing but, truth be known, I really don't need anything better and I seriously doubt that most other people do, either. Except for high-end DSLRs, most digital cameras don't have much better; so if the optics and electronics are indeed better, then the camera could be quite impressive.

But the best news is that tt seems that the 5250 will support LTE. If that is so, then it's likely that the US-versions of the Note 2 will forego the use of a Qualcomm chip. While I think the Qualcomm S4 Krait with it's A15-based architecture is the best smartphone chip on the market -- yes, even better than the quad-core, A9 Exynos 4412 -- I hope and expect the Samsung Exynos 5250 to be even better. But worst case, if the Samsung Exynos 5520 is still not compatible with the LTE frequencies and encoding used in North America (still a possibility, though hopefully not likely), then I hope our version of the "Note 2" at least gets the Qualcomm Krait S4 Pro processor with the Adreno 320 GPU. If it comes to that, then the S4 Pro shouldn't be a bad second choice.

If the specs are true, the "Note 2" looks like an impressive phone but with the AT&T Note only being out for a few months, do any of you think the "Note 2" is a worthy upgrade?

Now if they only put the power button on top instead of across from the volume rocker.

What's your source for the 5250 chip in the Note 2?

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
What's your source for the 5250 chip in the Note 2?

I saw it on a couple of websites, including Android Authority. The last place I saw it was UbuntuLife.net.

In fairness, I have also read that the "Note 2" will have the same processor as the S3 and that the 5250 will be saved for the next Nexus phone, which will be released (or at least, introduced) with Android Jelly Bean before the end of the year. But lately I have been seeing more rumors saying that the "Note 2" will (also?) have the Samsung Exynos 5250 processor.

iPhone4Rocks!

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
lol theres no way they would bump the screen to 5.5 inches, 5.3 is big enough. I would love for the Note 2 to have no bezels around the screen except the captivated buttons, thus making the phone smaller. other than that, won't really care for the quad core phones until jellybean optimizes the 4 cores.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
lol theres no way they would bump the screen to 5.5 inches, 5.3 is big enough. I would love for the Note 2 to have no bezels around the screen except the captivated buttons, thus making the phone smaller. other than that, won't really care for the quad core phones until jellybean optimizes the 4 cores.

Why not bump the screen up to 5.5-inches?

Indeed, as you write, why can't Samsung minimize if not eliminate the bezel. Although the screen would be (less than a quarter of an inch) bigger, the phone itself could actually be smaller.

And I agree with you about not needing a quad-core chip. Indeed, I think it is downright silly that there were some complaining about the US version of the S3 getting a dual-core A15-generation chip instead of the quad-core A9 architecture of the Exynos 4212. But the Samsung Exynos 5250 is a dual-core A15 architecture that I personally expect to outperform everything currently on the market, including the Qualcomm Krait 8960 S4 and the Samsung Exynos 4212.

As for Android Jelly Bean being optimized for four cores; this is the first I am hearing such a thing. Indeed, I think it is very doubtful. Better multi-threading, yes; but optimized for multiple cores, doubtful. There simply are not enough (any?) use cases where more than two cores are really beneficial for a cell phone. Effort would be and generally is put into optimizing memory management and individual thread and core execution instead of multi-core optimization. I expect Jelly Bean to be better but I would be very surprised if it is optimized for more than two cores.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan