AV Cable with USB Charging?

the_buzz_man

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
OK, I'm seriously considering making the switch to an Android phone from many years with the iPhone. The Note has my attention!!

My main concern right now is the ability to connect the Note to my truck stereo system. Right now, I'm using the Apple AV Cable that plugs into the dock connector and goes out to composite (red, white, yellow RCA) and USB. The red/white connect to the back of my deck and the USB to the 12v USB charger. Please tell me there is something similar to this for the Note. I don't care to use the headphone jack as it usually results in lower quality. If there is a cable that goes out to USB and HDMI, then I'm sure I could find a hdmi to composite adapter.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Mike

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
If you lived here in Portland, I would recommend asking a free estimate in Car Toys or any place that sells cell phones and car radio/audio systems. I use Bluetooth for the phone because the AV was taken by my xm receiver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

the_buzz_man

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine showed me a cable today called a MHL cable. Looks like it would be used to go from the Note's miniUSB to HDMI and miniUSB. Should be able to go from that miniUSB to car charger and then go from the HDMI to a Component/Composite converter box.

Anyone have any experience with this on the Galaxy Note?

Mike Busby

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine showed me a cable today called a MHL cable. Looks like it would be used to go from the Note's miniUSB to HDMI and miniUSB. Should be able to go from that miniUSB to car charger and then go from the HDMI to a Component/Composite converter box.

Anyone have any experience with this on the Galaxy Note?

Mike Busby

Welcome to out world. We use technical terms that mean something very different than "normal" usage. Mini doesn't mean small it refers to a specific interface that is mechanically different than the microUSB the note uses. The hdmi connector is totally different than any USB.

the_buzz_man

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about that. I am aware that there is a difference between miniUSB and microUSB (as anyone that jailbreaks an AppleTV2 would), but I got them reversed in my head. As for the HDMI connector I messed with yesterday, it had a microUSB (male) on one end going out to a box that had female ends of HDMI and microUSB.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about that. I am aware that there is a difference between miniUSB and microUSB (as anyone that jailbreaks an AppleTV2 would), but I got them reversed in my head. As for the HDMI connector I messed with yesterday, it had a microUSB (male) on one end going out to a box that had female ends of HDMI and microUSB.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

You may have solved my problem! I just installed the Comcast app that lets me play the Comcast video streams on my Note. I have a small TV in the bedroom with no cable box or PC. I found the micro USB to hdmi cable, but it wouldn't allow me to keep the battery from going dead. Your cable with the 3rd connector sounds promising to me.

the_buzz_man

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
One thing they did mention to me was that on the basic charger, the charging was slower than the power usage....so the battery still went down, just not as fast. They said there is a higher amp charger that may be able to overcome that though.

Mike

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I searched for Amazon in my browser history and I had gone here:

Amazon.com: Samsung MHL to HDMI Adapter - Data Cable - Micro USB - Retail Packaging for AT&T SGH-i77 & T-Mobile SGH-T989: Cell Phones & Accessories

This is the only pic:
21FcGt-eJOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The image looks like one of the images on the Amazon page the_buzz_man found.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok maybe i am crazy but it appears to me that both methods end up being analog. If you use the headphone jack or the RCA like jacks that the iphone is using. Once you hit those RCA jacks it is analog no mater what.

Even if you use the MHL to HDMI adapter it will have to convert back to analog. What you may want to do is simply look at the Samsung Galaxy Note Car Dock. It will connect to the Note via USB. Charge it, and has the connections to connect to the radio via audio out from the dock. It is a 1/8" headphone jack but probably the best option, and gives you a mount for other functionality.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The MHL adapter is pretty slick so. I have one and have used my note to watch movies all day at a friends house that didn't have TV.

the_buzz_man

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok maybe i am crazy but it appears to me that both methods end up being analog. If you use the headphone jack or the RCA like jacks that the iphone is using. Once you hit those RCA jacks it is analog no mater what.

Even if you use the MHL to HDMI adapter it will have to convert back to analog. What you may want to do is simply look at the Samsung Galaxy Note Car Dock. It will connect to the Note via USB. Charge it, and has the connections to connect to the radio via audio out from the dock. It is a 1/8" headphone jack but probably the best option, and gives you a mount for other functionality.

You are right that no matter what we do, it will end up being analog. Now, my only experience is with the iPhone, but I always found the quality of sound to be much better coming from the dock than the headphone jack. Plus, I don't like having to mess with two sets of volume controls. I would expect the same from the Note, but could be wrong.

As for the Car Dock, that would be a good choice for someone not using a case. I plan on getting an otterbox as soon as I get a Note, and I am sure it wouldn't fit in the dock afterwards. I will probably get an adjustable proclip mount if the one I'm using now doesn't work.

Mike Busby

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Another option. Again not completely sure how well it would work for stability, would be a desk dock. It has the same audio jacks on the back of it. I think it has room for a case. I have one of those as well, and there is clearly room behind the device for a case to take up. Stability would be my concern there though.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
well as i continue to look i am finding what may be better things. check this out

Amazon.com: iKross MHL micro-USB to VGA Display and Stereo Audio Adapter + 3.5mm Retractable Audio Cable + 3FT Micro USB Retractable Cable + 12FT VGA to 3 RCA Video Cable + Black Microfiber Pouch Case for HTC / Samsung Smartphone Connecting to TV & M

It appears that it would have everything you need right there. It has the MHL adapter and then on the adapter it also hast the analog out port as well as charging. Would just need the adapter to convert from 3.5mm to RCA.

You could even go crazy and mount a display in the car and watch movies in it. seems like a great idea for kids if they are in the back seat.

the_buzz_man

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I like the iKross device. Would allow me to do this without a HDMI converter box which would require its own power supply. My only concern now (other than the price) is whether or not having the audio and charging power going through the same device would cause any feedback through the stereo.

Anyone have any experience with this device?

Mike

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about the icross device as I just found that to. But I do know that i have a hum on my note when I go from the headphone jack, and have the car charger connected. Is that pretty much the same thing?

Another option would be to look at a Bluetooth enabled bridge device that attaches to the Aux Port on the stereo. Although it may have the same issue if it is plugged in to charge all the time and stay on.

the_buzz_man

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the icross device as I just found that to. But I do know that i have a hum on my note when I go from the headphone jack, and have the car charger connected. Is that pretty much the same thing?

Another option would be to look at a Bluetooth enabled bridge device that attaches to the Aux Port on the stereo. Although it may have the same issue if it is plugged in to charge all the time and stay on.

That's the main reason I don't like using the headphone jack. Plus, you have two different volume controls you have to balance out. Then again, it may be the same thing with this MHL connection. Hopefully they have some sort of filter within the connection to filter out the power noise/hum.

I can handle having to set the volume on my phone to a certain level, but I wouldn't be able to deal with any static or humming noise. I guess the only way to find out is to bite the bullet and get one. I'm kinda waiting now because I'm trying to decide between the Note or that new Galaxy S3.

Mike

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde