Galaxy Note Car Charger. USB vs Hard Wired?

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Note's Car charger that's hard wired, as in, one peice, like a regular car charger, if it's charges the Note faster than the USB version?

I was using my Note's Navigation Software, te Google version, and I had a 40+ minutes trip. Well, I noticed my phone, instead of charging while plugged in, was losing juice. I am just curious if the Hard wired Car charger for the note charges it while you are using data hungry funtions, like Maps/Navigation. I know the USB model is just that, a USB cord with a plug in DC car charger.

Also, it is the OEM Samsung charger that I was using.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed using a USB charger charges slower than the USB to wall charger or
the cig lighter car charger.

I plug my Note into my computer and it charges slower than if i plug the same cord
into the USB wall charger, also i use a USB extension cable (6 footer) for my bedroom
and it too charges slower than just the OEM USB cable with out the extended USB
cable.

I believe the OEM cig lighter and OEM wall chargers are 1 amp and using
most any USB only cables say to a USB from a computer or one for your car
are 500 milli-amp.

I have the Galaxy Note Car dock and have found it is about neutral when charging while
running google maps for navigation.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
How fast it charges depends on the power of the charger. Im looking for one that charges properly as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a 3.1A Rocketfish dual-USB charger, you use your own micro cable. Beefiest charger Best Buy sells. My Note still loses charge while using Google Nav, this is why I can't wait for Offline Maps. I just keep the screen off and verbal-directions on and the phone seems to charge a tad.

The wall-charger is faster. This has to do with AC (wall outlet) vs. DC to AC conversion (cigarette lighter). Your best bet is to get a inverter and plug your wall charger into that.

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I do have an inverter but I would have to remember to bring the wall charger and the converter with me I guess. But, it's not really a big deal . i was just wondering as I find it a little odd that, even while charging, you phone still could die out on you while using Nav/GPS/Maps in the car. i was just wondering if there was a car charger that would fix the issue. no biggie

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I use an old Palm car charger. Plenty of juice to keep it navigating and using blue tooth.

Just curious, does it charge your Note while you are still using Navigating and Maps? Can it Charge your phone to full, even with those programs running? Mostly Navigation is my concern.

If so, would you happen to know the model number for the charger?

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
sorry can't find a model number. I bought it with my AT&T Palm Pre + and it has the Palm logo. it does charge the phone while Google nav is running (with the screen off) .

Sent from my Samsung Ginormous Phone using Android Central Forums

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
sorry can't find a model number. I bought it with my AT&T Palm Pre + and it has the Palm logo. it does charge the phone while Google nav is running (with the screen off) .

We're talking screen on. Most if not all of our chargers charge when it's off.

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Since WE are talking screen on, I tested the AT&T branded Car Charger with USB Port part number 73851635248.

The Note was 75% charged. Set a nav point of 2.5 hour trip. Screen brightness at just below half (night driving) and plugged it headed down the interstate. Checked at one hour time and the Note was fully charged and the screen was on all the way.

The charger has a coiled cable with a micro USB tip, a covered standard USB port and a light.

Let's hope WE are satisfied with the conditions of the test.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That is awesome to hear, but i have to ask what makes that work over all th rest. Do you know what the specs on it are?

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The package is pretty sparse on information. I would venture a guess and say the output current to charge two usb devices is the contributing factor.

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The package is pretty sparse on information. I would venture a guess and say the output current to charge two usb devices is the contributing factor.

Would it happen to be this one?

accessories-75369-450x350.png

Car Charger with USB Port - Universal Micro USB accessories from AT&T

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz