Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Question Am I crazy, Please help - ICS Launcher

I am new to Android using the note for a month now. I love it and I have not rooted the phone & I did not care for the launcher it had with the gingerbread version so I DL Launcher pro & used that. I did notice that when I first DL Launcher pro before I set LP to my default, it gave me the the option to choose LP or TwLaunhcer to choose from. I set it to LP and was done with it.

Yesterday I DL ICS and when it turned on, my LP was still my default launcher. I wanted to see what the ICS launcher was like to see if it was better then the GB version. I deleted the LP from my phone because I couldn't find the settings in ICS to change my launcher or to see what launcher I was using. I then reinstalled my launcher pro to see if it would give me options to change my launcher and it did, it stated LP or TwLauncher. So I chose TwLauncher and it was the same as the ginger bread.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question and I know I am a newbee but can someone please tell me is TwLauncher the launcher for ICS? I have been trying to search on google & when I do the home screens look different then mine and I am not sure if in ICS the launcher is called something different or where to look to see what launcher I am using.

I looked in the Google Play store and saw some of the apps that say have your phone look like ICS but I am just not sure if mine is suppose to look like ICS or will it look like GB.

Again, sorry for the long post but this has been driving me nuts since I DL ICS and I cant figure it out.

Any help you can give me or any direction you can point me in so I can figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Default Re: Am I crazy, Please help - ICS Launcher

TwLauncher is Samsung's launcher for Android (Tw = TouchWiz). There likely are not a ton of differences between the GB version and the ICS version... More than likely you're better off sticking with LP or trying one of the other nice launchers out there (I'm an Apex fan myself).

Side note, you should be able to reset the default launcher by going into the Applications settings and selecting your current launcher (LP, in this case) and scroll down to reset defaults. Then press your Home button - it should prompt you which launcher to use.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock LF6

Each device manufacturer has their own version of the launchers.

Samsung - TouchWiz
    Motorola - Blur
    HTC - Sense

Only the Nexus devices have a pure Android experience and are not touched by any manufacturer to look or operate how they want.

Now that you are on ICS you have many more options. As pointed out above you can use such things as Apex, Nova, Holo (Which coulda been used on GB) and more that are only compatible with ICS and not GB. These launchers will give you options as well as a more true ICS feel.

There are minor changes between the GB version of TouchWiz and the ICS version on the Note. The major changes are the UX version that is seen with the SGIII and the "Nature" theme Samsung went with.

just a note ksod, holo launcher is working on GB. Im still on GB and have been using holo since beta testing. Works flawlessly.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock LF6

Yes I mention that Holo works on GB. It is in the () right after Holo is said.

Quote Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
    Yes I mention that Holo works on GB. It is in the () right after Holo is said.
    Sorry then your typo there messed me up. I read it as could of (which i thought you used coulda for short)