Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question I want a Galaxy Note

    ...but I can't imagine carrying around a phone THAT big in my pocket. I'd also feel like a power nerd whipping out a giant tablet-sized phone in public.

    How do you guys deal with that and the short battery life?
  2. #2  
    Chucky1's Avatar

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts

    Default

    I carry mine in my pocket. When I pull it out everyone says man, that thing is huge. Doesn't bother me a bit when people see it.

    As for battery life, I have to charge mine half way through the day so I have a charger at work. Not a big deal to me.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    hummingbirdhill and wildmangk like this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    Sorry to take the wind out of your sail, but I get great battery life with my Note. Over 9 hours most days. Airport bouncing is less of course. It fits in my pocket just fine thanks.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, Centro(AT&T), Palm Pre Plus(AT&T), Nook Color, HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note(AT&T), Nexus 7 (32), Nexus 4 (16), Nexus 7 2013 LTE, Nexus 5 32
  4. #4  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    The note is the perfect size, I am not a very heavy user and i usually make it through the day on one charge, i do have a couple days a week where i have to charge it after 8 hours.
    I had some battery life issues after ics update, but i spent some time and got the phone doing much better now.
    No way i want a smaller phone now!
  5. #5  
    Chucky1's Avatar

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Doo-1965 View Post
    Sorry to take the wind out of your sail, but I get great battery life with my Note. Over 9 hours most days. Airport bouncing is less of course. It fits in my pocket just fine thanks.
    No wind out of my sail. I use my phone 10 hours out of my 11 hour work day. My phone is a big part of my business and I usually have to by an extended battery. On my days off my battery will last about 9 hours.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
  6. #6  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    987 Posts
    Global Posts
    995 Global Posts

    Default Re: Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    Quote Originally Posted by jerryjerryjerry View Post
    ...but I can't imagine carrying around a phone THAT big in my pocket. I'd also feel like a power nerd whipping out a giant tablet-sized phone in public.

    How do you guys deal with that and the short battery life?
    The Note is an all in one device so it's size makes perfect sense. Most people carry it in their pocket just fine(personally I use a belt pouch), but you have to remember that it's not a mere smartphone, so you shouldn't expect to use, carry, or interact with the device the same as you would a smartphone.

    If all you want is a smartphone then I recommend the Gs3, Nexus, or the One x. The Note is for people who desire an all in one device they can use as a phone, tablet, and note pad.

    I use mine all day at work during business meetings for note taking and for texting my kids, wife, friends, and colleagues. At lunch I use it for reading ebooks via Kindle, and at home I watch movies and You Tube videos.

    I have a desk charger at work and home, car charger in my vehicle, and I carry a spare battery in my wallet just in case. However, the battery life is fairly good and I can take it off the charger around 7am, and by 2 or 3 I need a boost for the remainder of the day.

    I'd say go get you one and see for yourself. Until you get it; sometimes you just don't get it.

    Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!
    Last edited by DAS; 07-26-2012 at 07:46 PM.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    My galaxy note at time will go a day and a half before needing to charge it. I carry a travel charger with me for work, a ProClipUSA car charger, and 2 extra chargers at home not including charging from my PC via the data cable. I purchased the Note for the reason of a phone and tablet in one. I'm coming from the Blackberry OS. Not sure what i want to do with my 16gb playbook though!

    RescueDude92
    Blackberry 9000-->9800, Playbook-->Galaxy Note
  8. #8  
    Breadman's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default

    I wanted a Galaxy Note also. I had been using an iPhone 4s and thought that would never change. I tried the Note and almost immediately fell in love with it. I m a heavy user with lots of note taking and so far the battery has not been an issue. My only regret is that I did not get the Note sooner...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    hummingbirdhill likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default

    How smooth is the OS on the Note? I saw one in person but I really haven't had the pleasure of actually playing with one.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  10. #10  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    How smooth is the OS on the Note? I saw one in person but I really haven't had the pleasure of actually playing with one.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    its smooth. The phones on display at the AT&T stores usually have a lot of apps opened so they will seem sluggish. You should go see it in the store but ask the attendant to close all the apps so that you can truely see the smoothness of the phone.

    I sold my iPhone 4S and got the note a few weeks ago and I am happy.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    Coming from the iPhone 4, I absolutely love my Note. Wouldn't go back. I love the size. The screen is awesome! I bought a spare battery for the days when I use it for Netflix and reading. Other days I can go until the next day before needing to charge it. Phone isn't sluggish at all. Very smooth. Best phone I have owned & I have owned a lot!!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    My wife uses an iPhone 4S and a iPad and she used my Note for a day.
    Afterwards she said something that kind of sums up the two.
    She said the iPhone is a phone with internet access, The Note is a computer with a phone.
    She wants one now
  13. #13  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    My wife . . . said the iPhone is a phone with internet access, The Note is a computer with a phone. She wants one now
    Beautifully said!
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd
  14. #14  

    Default

    I think that when they scaled up the screen size, they also scaled the physical size of the battery because the big screen takes more power. My battery life is great for what I do.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  

    Default

    I think that you have to want the note. Yes, it is a larger device, but to compare it to another phone is very difficult. For some like myself, with larger hands,a regular phone is a pain.. That is why i originally looked at the note.


    But once i had it, there's no going back. Some may not understand, but as another person said, until you have t tried one for a few days, you really do not know.

    It's definitely not justa phone, and the battery life for me (coming from a bionic, Atrix,x2) is actually surprisingly the same at least when i am not watching videos or plugged into wifi all day, so as long as you have a spare charger, you will be fine....

    I look at even my wives one x and i find it annoying now. The software is indeed smooth on both gingerbread and now sandwich.. I couldn't think if possibly going back to a phone...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    hummingbirdhill likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    I would never want a smaller phone. I use QuickOffice, a suite compatible with Microsoft office and I've only found a few things it can't do, like mail merges. You can see other posts from me on the use of the S pen. As for the size, it only feels awkward for a few minutes, then it just becomes perfect. You can actually read things on the net, see details on videos. I often find the button on sites to switch to normal or classic view so that all the options and features are available as if I was on my computer. If your concerns about the size are based on reviews rather than actually holding one and using one, I urge you to go find one and experience it. If you believe the reviewers that said you'll get laughed at when using it as a phone, DON'T believe them. You'll gets lots of envious comments and folks wanting to know how to get one and answering questions about what it can do. As for battery life, My battery lasts all day but I doubt I use it as much as you do. However, for times I run low, I keep a charger at the office, one in the car for emergencies. I bought a battery charger with two hyperion spare batteries. I always carry one that has a full charge with me just in case . I deleted a few apps were really draining the battery, weather that was constantly updating, a few others. Sometimes it acts sluggish and I'll use the task manager to clear ram. I'm not sure what closes but it always fixes it. I think you'd love a Note and the possibility of carrying two extra spare batteries should cover your use if car or electric chargers aren't convenient.
    Thanked by:
    DAS 
  17. #17  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    987 Posts
    Global Posts
    995 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J HighNote View Post
    I would never want a smaller phone. I use QuickOffice, a suite compatible with Microsoft office and I've only found a few things it can't do, like mail merges. You can see other posts from me on the use of the S pen. As for the size, it only feels awkward for a few minutes, then it just becomes perfect. You can actually read things on the net, see details on videos. I often find the button on sites to switch to normal or classic view so that all the options and features are available as if I was on my computer. If your concerns about the size are based on reviews rather than actually holding one and using one, I urge you to go find one and experience it. If you believe the reviewers that said you'll get laughed at when using it as a phone, DON'T believe them. You'll gets lots of envious comments and folks wanting to know how to get one and answering questions about what it can do. As for battery life, My battery lasts all day but I doubt I use it as much as you do. However, for times I run low, I keep a charger at the office, one in the car for emergencies. I bought a battery charger with two hyperion spare batteries. I always carry one that has a full charge with me just in case . I deleted a few apps were really draining the battery, weather that was constantly updating, a few others. Sometimes it acts sluggish and I'll use the task manager to clear ram. I'm not sure what closes but it always fixes it. I think you'd love a Note and the possibility of carrying two extra spare batteries should cover your use if car or electric chargers aren't convenient.
    This is a great post.

    Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    I want one sooooooooo badly too but i can't cuz verizon doesn't offer it... waiting for the note 2 to come out.... can't waitttt!! carrying it around isnt much of an issue for me because I carry a purse so.... i actually want one because of the size of the screen. for the women who have the note, is it hard to use as a phone because the grip is too big?? my hands are pretty small so that's the only thing i'm a bit nervous about.. no matter how much i love a phone, won't be buying if I can't USE it as a phone..
    converted
    iPhone 4 ---> Galaxy S3
    hopefully.. Galaxy S3 ---> Note 2
  19. #19  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    987 Posts
    Global Posts
    995 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glassygurl View Post
    I want one sooooooooo badly too but i can't cuz verizon doesn't offer it... waiting for the note 2 to come out.... can't waitttt!! carrying it around isnt much of an issue for me because I carry a purse so.... i actually want one because of the size of the screen. for the women who have the note, is it hard to use as a phone because the grip is too big?? my hands are pretty small so that's the only thing i'm a bit nervous about.. no matter how much i love a phone, won't be buying if I can't USE it as a phone..
    The biggest mistake you will make is trying to use, carry, or interact with the device as a mere smartphone. The Note is the best all in one (phone /tablet) device on the market and must be seen in that way to fully appreciate it.

    I contend that if it's a smartphone you want then get the gs3, galaxy Nexus or OneX. The Note is more for people who want the functionality of a smartphone, the screen size and usefulness of a tablet, and the convenience of an electronic note pad.

    To think of the Note in any other way will surely bring on disappointment. IMHO.

    Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!
    hummingbirdhill likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    Quote Originally Posted by glassygurl View Post
    I want one sooooooooo badly too but i can't cuz verizon doesn't offer it... waiting for the note 2 to come out.... can't waitttt!! carrying it around isnt much of an issue for me because I carry a purse so.... i actually want one because of the size of the screen. for the women who have the note, is it hard to use as a phone because the grip is too big?? my hands are pretty small so that's the only thing i'm a bit nervous about.. no matter how much i love a phone, won't be buying if I can't USE it as a phone..
    I'm a woman, 5'3", trust me, the Note is not too big! I have a folder/wallet type cover and love it. It's protected whether in my purse or I'm shlepping around my garden. The Note grips very comfortably when in my hand as a phone. The other way the Note is perfect for women is that the S pen let's us write notes to convert to text or tap keys and our long nails don't get in the way! Back when the Note was first reviewed and it kept being talked about as a "niche" only phone, I wanted to scream that the female population that wanted a smart phone that does everything is not such a small niche! (Don't tell the men, we don't want them to realize they have a girly phone, rofl.)
  21. #21  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    The biggest mistake you will make is trying to use, carry, or interact with the device as a mere smartphone. The Note is the best all in one (phone /tablet) device on the market and must be seen in that way to fully appreciate it.

    I contend that if it's a smartphone you want then get the gs3, galaxy Nexus or OneX. The Note is more for people who want the functionality of a smartphone, the screen size and usefulness of a tablet, and the convenience of an electronic note pad.

    To think of the Note in any other way will surely bring on disappointment. IMHO.

    Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!
    Oh DAS, even if they only 'think' they want a smart phone, let them get a Note and discover a whole new world! I love your synopsis - for people who want the functionality of a smartphone, the screen size and usefulness of a tablet, and the convenience of an electronic note pad. May I just add you get all that for the price of ONE device on ONE smartphone voice/data plan and get to use it anywhere, unlike tablets or netbooks in search of wifi..... Samsung should really talk to us because we could really expand their marketing approach! I can see it now - a commercial with the debonair business man using the Note at meetings, and the grubby gardener writing notes with the S pen to keep the glass clean. Niche product indeed!
    Thanked by 2:
  22. #22  
    GQ50's Avatar

    Posts
    108 Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean 4.1.2..

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    The biggest mistake you will make is trying to use, carry, or interact with the device as a mere smartphone. The Note is the best all in one (phone /tablet) device on the market and must be seen in that way to fully appreciate it.

    I contend that if it's a smartphone you want then get the gs3, galaxy Nexus or OneX. The Note is more for people who want the functionality of a smartphone, the screen size and usefulness of a tablet, and the convenience of an electronic note pad.

    To think of the Note in any other way will surely bring on disappointment. IMHO.

    Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!

    Well put..you sir should be in marketing.
    Smartphone curious but not smartphone smart..
    hummingbirdhill likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glassygurl View Post
    I want one sooooooooo badly too but i can't cuz verizon doesn't offer it... waiting for the note 2 to come out.... can't waitttt!! carrying it around isnt much of an issue for me because I carry a purse so.... i actually want one because of the size of the screen. for the women who have the note, is it hard to use as a phone because the grip is too big?? my hands are pretty small so that's the only thing i'm a bit nervous about.. no matter how much i love a phone, won't be buying if I can't USE it as a phone..
    I bought ear bud headphones with a mic for listening to music as well as making phone calls..

    Peaches Galaxy Note
  24. #24  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    Quote Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
    I wanted a Galaxy Note also. I had been using an iPhone 4s and thought that would never change. I tried the Note and almost immediately fell in love with it. I m a heavy user with lots of note taking and so far the battery has not been an issue. My only regret is that I did not get the Note sooner...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    I have the iPhone 4S, and I too thought I would NEVER leave. But I am being pulled by the large screen, and I like to carry ONE device to do EVERYthing.

    Will play with it for 30 days and if I like it, then will sell my 4S.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: I want a Galaxy Note

    I'm another iPhone 4 user who wanted a bigger screen. I use mine to web surf with light texting and occasional phone calls. My wife doesn't care for the larger size, she uses her 4s for heavy texting and phone. She does like the size of the Galaxy S3 and the face recognition. It's my opinion that Apple needs to address the growing trend toward bigger screens. Heavy use of my iPhone 4 left me bleary-eyed. I'm middle aged and I've owned BB's and iPhone 3 and 3gs'. I've always returned to the apple fold until now. My daughter's Galaxy 2 Skyrocket impressed me enough to try the note at the AT&T outlet. No regrets.
    hummingbirdhill likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions