Are any original Galaxy Note owners impressed by the Galaxy Note?

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Because after seeing the actual specs on the Galaxy Note 2, I am not impressed.

Okay, I acknowledge the better processor (here in the US, I expect it will get the S4 or even S4 Pro) and that it comes with Jelly Bean preloaded but outside of that, what is the big deal?

The bigger battery is nice but you can buy bigger batteries still aftermarket and although the screen is bigger at 5.5-inches, from what I understand it still is not AMOLED Plus and the resolution is down slightly to 1280x768. Despite everything, I am just not impressed with the Galaxy Note 2.

Premature to ask, I know, but are any of you original Note owners impressed by the Note 2?

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I am. The Korean version lte gs3 still uses the exynos processor except that it's an extra chip to get the lte to work. If they can do the same thing for the us version, I'll be throwing money to whomever will sell me one.

Lte, 2GM ram, quad core exynos...who do I pay?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Are any original Galaxy Note owners impressed by the Galaxy N

I think i like it, may have to get it.

The hover mode with the S-pen is cool. Though i have seen
the S-pen on mine actually open or activate icons before i
touch the screen sometimes.

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I think i like it, may have to get it.

The hover mode with the S-pen is cool. Though i have seen
the S-pen on mine actually open or activate icons before i
touch the screen sometimes.

Same here. Sometimes I wonder if there is some static electricity at play or if the screen is so sensitive that e are touching the screen without knowing.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Okay, I acknowledge the better processor (here in the US, I expect it will get the S4 or even S4 Pro) and that it comes with Jelly Bean preloaded but outside of that, what is the big deal?

The bigger battery is nice but you can buy bigger batteries still aftermarket and although the screen is bigger at 5.5-inches, from what I understand it still is not AMOLED Plus and the resolution is down slightly to 1280x768. Despite everything, I am just not impressed with the Galaxy Note 2.

Premature to ask, I know, but are any of you original Note owners impressed by the Note 2?

The day the Note 2 is available in the US, is the day I will be home unboxing mine :D

I am quite impressed, and can't wait to get my mittens on one.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Please do not get me wrong. I think the Note 2 is a nice phone (or phablet) but it just does not seem impressive or like the "next big thing." At least, not when compared with the original Note.

For example, in the replies above, although a few are saying they are "impressed" and plan to get the Note 2, so far the only two reasons given are a better processor (which I originally conceded) and the "hover" mode.

As far as the processor goes, I suspect that in the US it will be an S4 or even S4 Pro. Personally, I think this is a good thing: the S4 (let alone the S4 Pro) is a better chip than the quad-core Exynos 4412. But even with that, is the performance of the S3 in the current Note (US model) really that bad?

And as for the "hover" mode, to each their own but I really don't see the benefit of it. Although I recognize that some may disagree but it seems more of a gimmick than something really useful. What is the benefit of it?

Being down on the new Note 2, I will add that support for Bluetooth 4.0 might be useful. I might try to pair it up with a Pepple Bluetooth watch.

But still, to me, I guess the problem is that I was expecting more. Like a Exynos 5250, A15 CPU and the rumored 1600x1050 "unbreakable" screen. In fact, the screen may be the reason why I am so disappointed. It has a lower resolution and dpi than the original (267 dpi vs. 285 dpi) and doesn't even look to be AMOLED Plus.

I am a gadget freak at heart and I am trying to convince myself that the Note 2 is the "next big thing" I should get. But I just can't. Help!

What impresses you most about the Note 2 compared to the original Note and why are you upgrading?

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Ok.

Hello NoNo.... I just started a thread stating basically the same thing :D

My Note *1* is ALREADY running Hybrid 4.1.1 JellyBean with ONSCREEN buttons giving me 100% S-Pen Usage ( No More Fingerprints ) and running *Project Butter* to PERFECTION.. It is so Silky Smooooth and Faaast it just does not get any better..

And with an OC/OV Kernel we can already run at 1,830 mhz stable.. What happened to the Exynos 5250 capable of running at 2,000 mhz that was ready for launch ??

No.. NoNo.. I am not impressed in the least with the G-Note 2 :)

Samsung hit a HOMERUN the 1st time at bat with the G-Note 1...

It's too tough an act to follow. :)

RED3.png

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

@RaiderWill, I think you allude to the same thing that I do. When I look at the Note 2, I just want to ask, why?

It seems that the only reason Samsung has rushed to introduce the Note 2 is so that it can say that it released something, anything, before Apple introduces the iPhone 5. To me at least, there really isn't anything so overwhelming about the Note 2 that makes me want to say, "I just gotta have it."

Personally, I think Samsung would have been better spent devoting their energy on updating the software on the original Note. How about an "official" Jelly Bean ROM for the original Note, even update the S-Pen applications: which is what is going to happen on XDA within weeks of the actual release of the Note 2.

If they delayed the introduction of the Note 2 until early next year, my guess is that they could have had all the features that we really wanted. Like the rumored 1680x1050 screen, 12 Meg camera and Exynos 5250 processor.

Oh yes, and thank you for telling me about your ROM! :cool:

Last edited:

JustinStrife

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site

I'd just like to see one of these come over to Verizon. I like my HTC Rezound, but we JUST got Ice Cream Sandwhich, and my screen is about an inch smaller than the Gnote's. Not to mention all the other little goodies. If the GNote 1 came to Verizon, I'd be all over it. :(

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

Same here. Sometimes I wonder if there is some static electricity at play or if the screen is so sensitive that e are touching the screen without knowing.

I don't use the pen a whole lot so i haven't seen it do this a lot.
Maybe 3 or 4 times in the 5 months i have owned the phone.

Those 3 or 4 times are when i realized i wasn't actually touching
the screen. But as usual when it do try it never works. LOL.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

@RaiderWill, I think you allude to the same thing that I do. When I look at the Note 2, I just want to ask, why?

It seems that the only reason Samsung has rushed to introduce the Note 2 is so that it can say that it released something, anything, before Apple introduces the iPhone 5. To me at least, there really isn't anything so overwhelming about the Note 2 that makes me want to say, "I just gotta have it."

Personally, I think Samsung would have been better spent devoting their energy on updating the software on the original Note. How about an "official" Jelly Bean ROM for the original Note, even update the S-Pen applications: which is what is going to happen on XDA within weeks of the actual release of the Note 2.

If they delayed the introduction of the Note 2 until early next year, my guess is that they could have had all the features that we really wanted. Like the rumored 1680x1050 screen, 12 Meg camera and Exynos 5250 processor.

Oh yes, and thank you for telling me about your ROM! :cool:

You know, thinking about it and I may have to change my opinion above. I think Samsung should have introduced the Note 2 when it did. However, this is just from a marketing perspective. Samsung needed to introduce something before Apple introduces and releases the iPhone 5.

However, from a technical perspective, looking at the Note 2 as a product itself especially as compared to the original Note, I remain unimpressed. Here's hoping against hope that Samsung releases a real upgrade to the original Note (and Note 2) next year.

amylyn1970

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely sticking with my Gnote 1. I love it & don't think the updates on the Gnote 2 are worth the price since I'm not due for an upgrade till next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Pandawg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

I was impressed. I just hope that first Note gets Jelly Bean.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Ya know, I wasn't worried about upgrading from my note to the new 2. But I did a search on the specs of both and found a really snide comparison that I just had to refute. In doing research on the new Note 2, I'm VERY impressed. Besides the true HD screen, awesome additions to the OS, like being able to multitask on it, great new camera features, more memory options, more S pen features, and the one thing I saw in a review by ABC news: the killer for me that makes me drool and want this so bad I can taste it, is THIS:
And if you're worried you'd lose the pen, Samsung's come up with a solution for that. The phone will alert you with an alarm sound if the pen has been left behind somewhere.
OMG, they heard me!
I'm only sorry I can't upgrade for a long time........

Cap_172R

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

Really impressed with my Note... it's my first android device and i love it!

The Note 2 however looks a bit like a longer GS3. What I was disappointed with was the decrease in screen resolution and dpi. Maybe if the launch was 2013 Q1, the spec sheet would have been updated more... The dimensions of the Note2 however may be just right for others who may find the original note too 'wide', i know its a slight decrease but it gives the phone the narrow profile in comparison to the original Note that is!

rich250

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

initially I was not impressed but after watching the official video and reading more about it I'm becoming more and more impressed,The new screen should be better,yeah it's slightly lower resolution but it's non pentile so it should be crisper,the led notification will be nice to have again(biggest thing I missed on the skyrocket and note 1)And all the new pen features look really cool plus it's launching with jellybean which I have my doubts about the at&t note 1 ever seeing jellybean and if it does it's gonna be distant future,I don't root or run custom roms so the note 2 is definately looking like a nice upgrade from the original note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37