Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down NOT Impressed by the Note 2...

Are you Kidding Me?

Samsung... Really?

Our Note 1's have an * 800 by 1280 * SuperAmoled HD Screen.
    The Note 2 has a * 720 by 1280 * SuperAmoled HD Screen ?

Does that phone LQQK like its in a smaller frame than our Note 1's to you ?

A big fat Home Buttoned S3 clone ?

I don't know about you but, I am running a Hybrid 4.1.1 JellyBean ROM now.. and having On Screen Buttons means 100% S-Pen Usage.. And NO MORE fingerprints..

I am sure most of you are aware.. but if you are not, our phones Digitizers already support "Hover Technology".. It's works like a charm for those of you with *ROOT ACCESS*.. Download TWRP 2.2.1.1 recovery if you don't already have it and you will see what I mean... works like a charm WITHOUT even having to touch the screen with your S-Pen.. Just Hover Baby!

And finally where is the 32nm 5250 Exynos Processor capable of running at 2,000 mhz? with it's 20% higher IPS cycle? for this Flagship Phone.. Instead of a bumped 1,400 to 1,600 mhz Quad.. ( Those of us with OC/UV Kernels can run stable at 1,830 mhz already. )

I am not impressed by the specs / looks of the Galaxy Note 2

Are You ?

n-strike likes this.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Default Re: NOT Impressed by the Note 2...

No, I am not impressed. I wanted to be -- I really, really wanted to be -- but I am not impressed.

So tell me more about the ROM you are running and where I can get it.
    RaiderWill likes this.

Isn't it quad core? 3MP front camera. 16:9 aspect ratio. I think it is worth it.
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Isn't it quad core? 3MP front camera. 16:9 aspect ratio. I think it is worth it.
    Hello Mr. Williams.

So... Are you giving up your G-Note 1 or adding a G-Note 2 based on what you have seen so far?

Last edited by RaiderWill; 09-02-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    It is doubtful that the US version will be quad-core. The US versions of the G3 are dual-core. The reason is that the quad-core chip that Samsung uses, the Exynos 4412, does not natively support LTE.

However, in fairness, it can be argued that the dual-core chip that the US model uses, the Qualcomm S4, is a superior chip that the Exynos 4412. The Qualcomm S4 is analogous to an A15 generation architecture while the Exynos is an older, A9 architecture.

Also, from what I hear, the front camera on the Note 2 is not 3 MB. In fact, although the optics may be superior, the resolution may actually be slightly less than that of the original Note: 1.9 MB vs. 2 MB.

Finally, speaking of lower resolution, the resolution and dpi of the Note 2 is actually less than that of the original Note. The original Note has a resolution of 1280x800 with a dpi of 285 while the Note 2 has a resolution of only 1280x768 and an inferior dpi of 276. Small differences, perhaps, but still all small differences in the original Note's favor.

They basically just bumped up the screen on an s3 and called it a note 2 why in the hell would you ever put a physical home button on the phone. I am NOT impressed at all with the note 2 honestly I would rather just buy the og note and save 150$ when it comes to at&t.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    RaiderWill and jebjr like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Will1524 View Post
    They basically just bumped up the screen on an s3 and called it a note 2 why in the hell would you ever put a physical home button on the phone. I am NOT impressed at all with the note 2 honestly I would rather just buy the og note and save 150$ when it comes to at&t.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    Hello Will,

Bingo! Give that Man a Prize!

The smart buyer will JUMP on a G-Note 1 and save a TON of cash..

And once a person learns to Root & Rom.. then you will see the TRUE capabilities of the Galaxy Note 1... I never could have imagined how Powerfull & Capable this phone truely is once setup properly...

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What some of you are missing is when a 2nd version of a phone comes out the people who want it the most are those that never got the 1st version. I'm not surprised you all aren't impressed but those without it probably are.

Maybe the Note 3 would be more to your liking and feel like more of an upgrade over the original Note. #imjustsaying

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 SE

I also am not impressed. Seems that manufacturers are cranking out phones so fast that there isn't really any real new breakthroughs but every couple years. Specs aren't better so I wonder why would Samsung waste the money on development of a note 2?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

It's a modest upgrade, but honestly I'll have to see what the U.S. gets to make my judgement call.

I think it will be worth it for new phone shoppers. Don't forget, most of them will be the I was for YEARS. I never worried about the OS, my only interest was a large screen, get me to the net and let me make a call now and then and that was IT. I only upgraded when web pages stopped loading. I never heard of rooting until I started reading everything I could on the Note before it got to the U.S. and read android forums and articles. In fact, I thought about trying to learn how to do it until I understood what the term BRICK meant! lol The Note 2 seems to have collected the best features of the tablet 10.1 and S3 and some of the original note. Plus, the camera features with overlays and special functions that you can see in real time before taking the picture sounds special. I hope it appeals to a lot of folks, reward the innovation and there will be more to come. I, for one, hope to buy the stylus that is for the Note 2. It's supposed to be a bit bigger. Also hoping for it to encourage lots of smart developers to create S pen apps.
    hummingbirdhill likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
    What some of you are missing is when a 2nd version of a phone comes out the people who want it the most are those that never got the 1st version. I'm not surprised you all aren't impressed but those without it probably are.

Maybe the Note 3 would be more to your liking and feel like more of an upgrade over the original Note. #imjustsaying

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 SE
    Hello Scandal.. You make some excellent points.. But,

VZW is getting the LG Vu. So, you can take them off the list.

T-Mobile I would say is getting the G-Note 2.. That's why they stopped shipments of the G-Note 1..

And WATCH OUT ! AT&T may trump every carrier again and get an *Exclusive* on the GN2..

Sprint.. who knows.

With Samsung loosing bigtime in court.. I think they better get this phone out a lot faster than Quarter 4.. Or it WILL NOT make the impact that our Original G-Note's did.. People & Stock are already dropping like a Rock as far as Samsung Consumers/Investors are concerned.. And the IPhone 5 is just 3 to 4 weeks away from being available for purchase if I read an article correctly..

The best part for us current G-Note Owners is.. Just like we got the all of the S3's trick apps ported over in our Custom Roms ( Face Unlock S-Voice etc..) so shall we recieve all of the G-Note 2's new apps as well...

It's a great time to be Rooted & Rom'ed on a G-Note 1

Last edited by RaiderWill; 09-02-2012 at 02:43 AM.

There is way too much geek talk in here for me but what about the person who is in no way interested in rooting, roms and wants a faster phone than the gn1 stock for stock? Would this not work for them? Again not interested in rooting. Money is not an issue for some. And let's face it. Some just want the newest and freshest device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoiPhone4me View Post
    Finally, speaking of lower resolution, the resolution and dpi of the Note 2 is actually less than that of the original Note. The original Note has a resolution of 1280x800 with a dpi of 285 while the Note 2 has a resolution of only 1280x768 and an inferior dpi of 276. Small differences, perhaps, but still all small differences in the original Note's favor.
    Is the resolution a bit lower because the display is a bit narrower?
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bnjf View Post
    There is way too much geek talk in here for me but what about the person who is in no way interested in rooting, roms and wants a faster phone than the gn1 stock for stock? Would this not work for them? Again not interested in rooting. Money is not an issue for some. And let's face it. Some just want the newest and freshest device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Honestly, if you don't have an original Note and don't, can't and/or simply won't root your phone when you get it, I would say go ahead and get a Note 2. If nothing else, it is newer.

BUT, if you already have an original Note, or if you don't have a Note but are willing to root one when you get it, I would say keep (or get) an original Note and root it. To me, and I know people have different opinions, the Note 2 just does not seem to be that much of an improvement.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoiPhone4me View Post
    Honestly, if you don't have an original Note and don't, can't and/or simply won't root your phone when you get it, I would say go ahead and get a Note 2.

To me, and I know people have different opinions, the Note 2 just does not seem to be that much of an improvement.
    NoNo.. we do tend to forget we ALREADY HAVE the best phone on the planet..

5.3 inches of screen and the S-Pen? Yeah.. We got it like that..

So, for others that are coming from little phones or have huge creditlines to burn I can see the appeal of the Note 2.. It's simply a big fat S3 clone that will command $300.00 on contract..

But what they don't understand is the people that value their money SHOULD JUMP on the Note 1 once the Note 2 is released..

It will be half the cost Hell I got mine for $188.00..

But a Rooted Note 1 setup properly will Run Circles around the Note 2's UI Experience for half the cost.. AND WE WILL HAVE ALL OF THE NOTE 2'S APPS just like we got all of the S3's..... S-Voice, Touchwiz 5.0 UX, Face Unlock etc..

Have you setup "Google Now" on your JellyBean Rom yet NoNo? if not you should! It only takes like 1-2 seconds to answer any question you ask it! it blows the ICS "S-Voice" port we got with the Custom ICS Roms away.

Anyway we know what we got

But the Note 2 is certainly not impressive in the least if you have a Custom Note *1*

Last edited by RaiderWill; 09-02-2012 at 02:45 AM.

I think you may be pleasantly surprised after you test one out in the stores.
    The increased RAM and Jelly bean alone are worth the upgrade to me cause Original Note may never get Jelly bean after all.
    At the end, it comes down to what's more important to you and for me (a non rooter), I prefer to get a newer model.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    I think you may be pleasantly surprised after you test one

At the end, it comes down to what's more important to you and for me (a non rooter), I prefer to get a newer model.
    Hello Ocean.. I agree with you 100% *Non-Rooter's* should without question go for a Galaxy Note 2 whenever they hit U.S. Shores this Hoilday Season..

But.. For Galaxy Note *1* Owners that are not fearfull of Rooting their Phones ( which does by the way VOID your Warranty ) Rooting is the ONLY way to go..

Not owning a Galaxy Note and not being a *Rooter* I can honestly say you have no idea of the performance gains of having an operating system that has been relieved of it "Carrier Bloatware Bulk"

Ram is Optimized again, for performance you get NONE of the hesistation the stock UI experience gives you.. Everything is well.... To Coin The Phrase *Butter Smooth* and Lighting Fast....

Not being a *Rooter*, you would have no idea that the Cyanogen Mod Team has made the QuincyAT&T JellyBean Rom "Official Source" ... Which means the 4.1.1 JellyBean ROMs that us *Rooter's* are running now are SPECIFICALLY built for the Samsung Galaxy Note *1*
    The PA team has given the QuincyAT&T build Hybrid capabilities...

Please take a closer look at the pictures in my post on this thread and the one down below.. And trust me when I say these are NOT the screenshots you would get with a *Non-Rooted* Standard Galaxy Note my friend...

What you see is a ***Butter Smooth*** JellyBean 4.1.1 Hybrid Rom Powering a Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note *1* to it's FULL potental.... ( The Red Onscreen Buttons and 3 Little Red Dots in the Upper Right Corner in the Screenshot I am posting below are the give away.. Those those Red Buttons & Dots are not standard G-Note issue ...

And I CAN NOT WAIT to put my *Debloated* JellyBean Galaxy Note *1* up against a BLOATED Galaxy Note 2 as soon as they hit the stores around Turkey Day.. Quite Frankly Ocean.. 2gigs of Ram or not I think my 1,830 mhz beast is going to blow it out of the water..

My thrill is opening the box of a new device that owns the latest tech and tweaking it to my preferences in every single category, uninstalling anything I don't use when possible of the carrier bloat, experimenting with the new stuff, and loving using it as long as it lasts (or until it is fairly outdated).

Not thrilling to me is changing primary stuff such as rooting does. Although I used to consider rooting, I really don't have the time or desire to mess with that, and I do prefer to retain warranty as long as it lasts.

We may all be created equally, but we are not all created similarly!
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2
    DAS likes this.
    DAS

Global Posts
    976 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbirdhill View Post
    My thrill is opening the box of a new device that owns the latest tech and tweaking it to my preferences in every single category, uninstalling anything I don't use when possible of the carrier bloat, experimenting with the new stuff, and loving using it as long as it lasts (or until it is fairly outdated).

Not thrilling to me is changing primary stuff such as rooting does. Although I used to consider rooting, I really don't have the time or desire to mess with that, and I do prefer to retain warranty as long as it lasts.

We may all be created equally, but we are not all created similarly!
    I agree with you 100%. I personally don't care about rooting, and maintaining my warranty is preferred.

I personally like what Samsung has done with the Note 2. I watched their official "hands on" video and the features they included into the software are amazing in my opinion. But the truth be told I'm a lot like Hummingbirdhill, another poster J Highnote, in that I like the new and shiny stuff

I will surely be picking up the Note 2 when it lands in the states. For me the only thing I'm not impressed with is that it's not available NOW (and the reports/rumors estimate a late in the year launch), and that it doesn't appear to have a CDMA radio and thus Sprint will be left out

For some one who does not own the current Note, this would
    be worth getting i think.

The 5.3 inch size of the Note 1 is perfect for me.
    The Note 2,s 5.5 inch screen may be a little too much

Though i have the 4.65 inch Google Nexus and have played around
    with a coworkers HTC 4.7 inch OneX, I find them too small any more.
    The only thing future proof in electronics is the electricity itself.

dmmarck "I love wiping myself!"

ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

You guys are nuts if you don't think a quad core exynos processor with 2 gig of ram is not a huge upgrade over a crappy S3 powered snapdragon chip. GPU is not going to be even close ( its probably 4x's the power of the current S3 with the adreno 220 ). Even the S4 chip cannot perform the pop up video function smoothly.

The original Note is a laggy mess. If you were talking about the international dual core exynos version than I would say the upgrade is not as big.

You think your phone is smooth? Use a bone stock Note 2 ( if its anything like the GS3 ) and I'm sure you will be blown away by how smooth it is.

edit: I remember when the Galaxy S3 was first announced and everyone was "dissapointed" with the specs. Well when the phone finally came out, 9 out of 10 people who played with it was blown away by it. Even guys coming from the Exynos powered Galaxy S2 which in itself was a beast of a phone. This phone has even better specs than the GS3, and you guys are coming from a less impressive phone ( hardware wise )
    Last edited by s14tat; 08-31-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s14tat View Post
    You guys are nuts if you don't think a quad core exynos processor with 2 gig of ram is not a huge upgrade over a crappy S3 powered snapdragon chip. GPU is not going to be even close ( its probably 4x's the power of the current S3 with the adreno 220 ). Even the S4 chip cannot perform the pop up video function smoothly.

The original Note is a laggy mess. If you were talking about the international dual core exynos version than I would say the upgrade is not as big.

You think your phone is smooth? Use a bone stock Note 2 ( if its anything like the GS3 ) and I'm sure you will be blown away by how smooth it is.

edit: I remember when the Galaxy S3 was first announced and everyone was "dissapointed" with the specs. Well when the phone finally came out, 9 out of 10 people who played with it was blown away by it. Even guys coming from the Exynos powered Galaxy S2 which in itself was a beast of a phone. This phone has even better specs than the GS3, and you guys are coming from a less impressive phone ( hardware wise )
    I agree with everything but the "laggy mess" part.

Sent from my Galaxy Note.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbirdhill View Post
    My thrill is opening the box of a new device that owns the latest tech and tweaking it to my preferences in every single category, uninstalling anything I don't use when possible of the carrier bloat, experimenting with the new stuff

Not thrilling to me is changing primary stuff such as rooting does. Although I used to consider rooting, I really don't have the time or desire to mess with that

!
    ???????????????????? HUH??????????????????

I am sorry Hummingbird but... Your statement is a contradiction unto itself Sir..

I guess you are just not educated enough where Rooting & Roms are concerned.. ( No offense intended..)

Yes.. Warranty Goes "BYE-BYE" unless you know how to Un-Root with a recovery MD5 and not trip the counter.. but again.. You don't seem to be at that skill level ( Again no offense intended just stating the facts based on your chime in..)

By the very nature of your statement it's painfully clear that you want to Root but don't know how to do it in such a way that its safe and cloaked from your carrier should you need to return it for warranty work...

By your own words you are a tweaker.. but you are a beginning tweaker.. a "Fiddler" if you will.. NOT a Rooter...

The Note 2 should be a cool phone for you... I hope you enjoy opening your $299.00 new box! come Thanksgiving !

Last edited by RaiderWill; 09-02-2012 at 02:46 AM.

RaiderWill, kindly avoid being obnoxious!

Variety is the spice of life . . .
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast