Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kasi Wade-Griffberg
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Default Anyone wear out their charging port?

I've had my AT&T Note since mid-March and loved every minute of it. Recently however, it hasn't been fully charging, it'll get to 99% and stop, never reaching the 100% and the notification displaying. Then I noticed that it'd charge to 100% randomly. I started playing with the cable base and it'd keep charging and the charging notification would keep going on an off. I tried 3 or 4 different cables, same effect. Busted out the compressed air, same thing. Also, using current widget, it was charging at like .3 amps all the time. Would this be a warranty claim? My Note is pretty beat up on the corners from falling off my Ruckus, before I got a case, but no water damage or anything. Would they deny warranty because of the corners? have insurance but would rather not pay $199 deductible every 6 months.

Sent from my phablet.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone wear out their charging port?

Nobody?

Sent from my phablet.

I did have the exact same troubles - sorry I did not see this thread till now. I had the exact same symptoms, tried the very same solutions you recommend above as well (compressed air et al). For a while some chargers seemed to work better than others, the car dock always seemed to work and then all of a sudden nothing worked even the car dock. I believe it's a warranty claim - I was "lucky" I bought mine at Best Buy and bought the insurance. I just went into the store and had a replacement in 2 days. When I went there the associate at Best Buy told me this problem happens with a lot of phones that use micro USB to charge the phone, he showed me how the port basically separates from the main board after some time, and it doesn't seem to matter if you're careful or not.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Well, I'm an *****. I have my charger behind my nightstand and I thought I had it plugged in all the way into the wall outlet. Apparently I yanked it out when I pulled it toward my bed at some point.

Global Posts
    533 Global Posts

That's actually good news considering.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    That's actually good news considering.
    Actually, it didn't fix it, I thought it did. I need help unrooting (see my other thread) soI can return for warranty.

Sent from my phablet.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock rom now

What you can do is go on ebay and buy spare batteries + charger and just swap out your battery any time you are out of juice. I was in need of some extra batteries and I got 2 batteries + charger for 9.99 and don't even use my usb charger anymore...I just swap out the battery. I urge you to take this route as well =]

Lightbulb Re: Anyone wear out their charging port?

I had the exact same problem and i took it into the AT&T store and explained to the employee what the problem was and he told me the phone has a 1 year warranty and to take it to an AT&T service center but they may not cover it because i could have damaged it. So i took it to the service center and the guy was really nice and he swapped me out the phone no problem. For free. If you havent taken care of it yet this is what you need to do... Good Luck
    J

WHAT???
    Change out the battery because the USB Port doesn't work?? C'mon now...I found Cell Phone Repair Centers that will change out the port for $25!
    Replacing a battery every time will cost you more than $1oo ! Helloooooo???? Common sense people...common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ramnitb View Post
    What you can do is go on ebay and buy spare batteries + charger and just swap out your battery any time you are out of juice. I was in need of some extra batteries and I got 2 batteries + charger for 9.99 and don't even use my usb charger anymore...I just swap out the battery. I urge you to take this route as well =]
    NO this will not "fix" the problem Replacing the Battery every time will be more expensive than replacing the USB Port.

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Quote Originally Posted by BH67 View Post
    NO this will not "fix" the problem Replacing the Battery every time will be more expensive than replacing the USB Port.
    2 batteries for $10 in addition to your regular battery should last at least a year. You charge and rotate your batteries and it will last a long time.
    TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) • CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) • Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G • Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked • Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail • Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 • DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

Quote Originally Posted by ramnitb View Post
    That's a nice deal......need to search for that

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Quote Originally Posted by notedude3 View Post
    That's a nice deal......need to search for that

There's alot on Ebay. I use and buy them for all my phones. Just a warning. Be sure to buy from sellers with high rep scores. I've had 5 different phones with removeable batteries and I always bought on Ebay and never had an issue. YMMV
    TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) • CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) • Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G • Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked • Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail • Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 • DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

My Note has done this twice!!! It's a pretty common issue with the i717. Both times I went on Amazon & got a replacement "mini usb charging ribbon" and replaced it myself. With shipping it was less then $15, took 10min (MAYBE) to replace. Works great now!

Thanked by:
    tube517 likes this.

Question about the replacement port, does the model number of the part have to match the phone? I bout my phone in canada and now i live in the uk so im not sure if the parts here will work in my phone