Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

Default Really struggling deciding between Note and GS3

Hey all.

So my upgrade is in a couple weeks. I'm currently on a Samsung Focus POS Win7 phone. I was considering going to the iPhone 5 but after seeing all the problems forget it. (This from a previous iPhone 2g-4 user)

I saw the Note sitting hear the GS3 in my local ATT when I went to take a look at the GS3 a couple days ago. I know the GS3 has ICS with touchwiz5. Does the note as well? The Note in store looked like it had the same old Touchwiz looking interface since the original Galaxy phones. For those who have possibly used both what made you go with the note?

Also is there a good decent launcher out there that would allow the note to look like it's running "Stock" ICS? I know when Gingerbread was announced there was one that gave the "stock" feel of gingerbread to those on 2.2.

Default Re: Really struggling deciding between Note and GS3

I hope you mean the note 2, is definitely a better phone than anything out, but being better may not translate to something you'll like using. If you have large hands you'll probably like it

The reason I don't like the note is the size! It's too big! It's less than 2 inches away from being a mini tablet!

The galaxy s3 is like the sweet spot in phone sizes.

I hope next year's model isn't bigger

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

I actually mean the note, For one I like the buttons across the bottom instead of the big button.

And two I don't really want to spend the rumored $300. Plus call it impatient but there is no official date yet even for the note 2.

Also I'm trying to find out but can't seem to find an answer. How big of a microsd card can I out in the note?
    Last edited by Goodeye; 10-21-2012 at 05:51 AM.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Goodeye,

I recently went through the same decision process.

I definitely chose the Note over the GS3 because I wanted the bigger screen. Browsing the web with the Note is much easier with its bigger screen. And I figured I would go with the original Note because it has a wider screen than the Note2 will have. Browsing the web with the phone in landscape orientation often gives you text big enough that you don't need to zoom in at all. And if I'm going to browse in landscape orientation, then every extra pixel of "width" in portrait mode makes all the difference in the world.

My At&T Note came with ICS already installed -- I don't know that the TouchWiz interface is any different at all, but it's an ICS OS, no doubt about it.

I sure don't find the bigger screen to a hindrance in everyday use -- it fits in my pocket just fine, and due to its thinness, it really doesn't weigh much at all.

After spending some quality time with the Note in the store, I went home and did my research, and wound up getting it when my date came up. After about three weeks with it, I'm absolutely super-happy with it. None of the "new features" that the GS3 and the Note2 are things I want or need, and I definitely like the wider screen on the original Note. So I'm a very satisfied original Note user.

Oh, and the specs say the Note can handle a 32 gig Micro SD card. And that's what I've got in mine -- it works just fine.

thoots
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

Thanks for your reply.

Good to hear it can handle a 32GB MicroSD. I plan on picking up one of those this week. I know it comes with ICS, however from my understanding it still has that "original touchwiz" feel and look. The ICS tochwiz that's on the GS3 I like, but not sure I want to wait for the Note 2 just for that (as it's really the only feature on the note 2 I'm really wanting) IF there was a launcher that gives a close to ICS/Jellybean stock launcher that would be cool. I'll be giving my Nexus 7 to my wife. Having been on a stock launcher I'll admit I'm kinda spoiled, and hoping someone has created a launcher that mimics most of it.

Curious what color did you get white or "blue" I swear in every picture, every video the blue actually looks like black to me.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

I'm plenty happy with my original Note's launcher -- it gets the job done. I like a very minimal approach, with a plain solid-color background so I can see the icons and the widgets. I like how I can clean it down to just a few pages, and I'm done.

I got the "blue" color -- white isn't my style at all. You can clearly see that it's blue in some light, but in other light, it's just dark and black-looking. I also got the Samsung flip case, which just replaces the back with one that has a screen cover attached -- it's all very minimal, very functional, and works great. All in all, I'm very happy with everything so far.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

Quote Originally Posted by thoots View Post
    I'm plenty happy with my original Note's launcher -- it gets the job done. I like a very minimal approach, with a plain solid-color background so I can see the icons and the widgets. I like how I can clean it down to just a few pages, and I'm done.

I got the "blue" color -- white isn't my style at all. You can clearly see that it's blue in some light, but in other light, it's just dark and black-looking. I also got the Samsung flip case, which just replaces the back with one that has a screen cover attached -- it's all very minimal, very functional, and works great. All in all, I'm very happy with everything so far.
    Ya. It's not bad touchwiz seems tons better than it used to be (I had a Captivate a couple years ago I hated every app had a "box" put behind its icon.") I just like the ICS style launcher at least the new touchwiz that's on the GS3 would be nice. I know that this does not. I'll live. And to reiterate the note 2 is cool but not enough for me to justify the extra $100. I'm using my wife's upgrade (she is happy with her phone) when my line is up in July I'll give her this and probably go with the note 2 at that point.

It's weird one day I think I'll go black/blue. Then another day I'll think naw I'll go white. Decisions decisions. Lol