Why is this forum so barren?
01-30-2013 12:51 PM
- ...just seems to lack activity or compelling content and/or any active discussion about the Note. Didn't it sell 5million units +? I own one. I like it...It's my third foray into the world of Android. I bought the Xoom and iPad about the same time in 2010/early '11. Bought a GSIII, used it for two weeks...didn't care for it, but fell in love with the note...it's 'S Pen', and the endless creative possibilities that may blossom from such an awesome tool! As an iPhone owner since the original, I was and am a fan of both OSes. I won't give up my iDevices, and I will continue to experiment in Android. I say 'experiment' because I'm bored with 'learning' about it. The forums/sites available to those of us interested, as I mentioned earlier...seem to lack the population of active iOS sites, e.g. MacRumors. This site is excellent for generic Android information--but the 'sub' forums is where my interest fades. Sorry--I don't mean disrespect. I'm truly a 'universal' geek and enjoy all flavors of op systems. I do admit, I own a lot of Apple computing gear--both for the family and to run my business. Primarily due to build quality, support and the ability to run multiple operating systems (oh--and that sweet trackpad). I play with Linux, different flavors of Unix, MS8 (and 7) as well as OSx. I enjoy frequenting forums and online communities, participation in active discussions, and folks with wealth to share!
What am I missing? I don't want to go against the policy of AC---but is there a 'better' Note forum/site? Anywhere more active?
Again--please accept my apologies!!! I am a fan of AC as a 'whole'...but when broken down to some of these sub forums, interest seems to wane a bit not long after release of said product
Jer01-04-2013 12:07 PM
- cole2kbRetired ModeratorOur forum is far from 'barren'. What most seem to realize after being in the Android space for a short amount of time is that there tends to be one website that becomes the figurative 'home' for development of that device. We have plenty of other sections with plenty of other activity.
Maybe you could tell us what you're looking for. Right now, you say you want 'more' but you don't really define what 'more' means.01-04-2013 12:57 PM
- I came to Android and the GNote on launch day for the GNote in Feb. Prior to that I had played with a friends Galaxy SII Skyrocket for about a month. I had been on BlackBerry for about 8 years prior to coming to Android and knew nothing about it except that I had heard that it was the most "customizable" of the other OS's generally available. What I learned quickly was just like CrackBerry from 2007 on - Android Central has been my teachers first and now my coaches for most things Android. One thing you notice very quickly is that Android is not very similar to BB (you hear it a lot from those of us who have come over) and the good folks here answered a lot of "on BB I used to do...how do I do that on Android". The folks on this site, both in the general Android forums (for me at first about Gingerbread, then ICS, and even how to update my GNote using Kees when it was time, and I needed help as I had rooted previously (yes I built up enough courage to root my phone by then and have swapped ROMs almost on a weekly basis sometimes when I get bored).
One thing I noticed here - that I noticed at CrackBerry as well, is that when a particular phone has been released there is a huge buzz around that forum. Early adopters with "ever notice" or "TW is different from Sense where is the ...", "this phone is more than I thought" to "what was I thinking when I bought this phone". Folks buzz around the forums early listening to hear if it's a candidate for their next upgrade, and contribute when appropriate. For example I have been monitoring the N4 forum - to hear if that phone is all that they say it is.
Then as folks become more comfortable, as the buzz dies down (and here at Android you don't wait a year like iOS or 1.5 years like BB recently the product cycles are much shorter than they are there), buzz grows around the next greatest, watch what happens after CES - the new phones will start to get a large amount of posts and folks will neglect this one. You can look at the N4 forum and tell me it's dull and lacking in good conversations? I don't think so, and have enjoyed hearing others discuss their early impressions.
By now, by Android standards, the GNote 1 is a mature group. Most of us have had the phone for 4-6 months and are either very comfortable with it (maybe it's time to get a new case, or change the launcher), or have already identified the next candidate and are monitoring or contributing to that forum.
Chris the moderator asked you a question and I can tell you he is earnest - all the Mods on this forum are. They are among the most active here in the forums as any I participate in and are eager to answer your questions or help you with a place (like the website mentioned above - which I wouldn't have ever known about if it wasn't for Jerry here) where you can find an answer to "help! I bricked my phone I never should have tried to change the ROM!). Andrew is really active in the Gnex forum (a phone I got because I heard here you don't know Android until you have the pure form in a Nexus) depending on what phones and Tabs they are currently playing with I have seen Phil, Jerry and Alex in posts I have participated in.
And the podcast is tremendous!
I think you sell this forum short owing to coming to this phone at this time. Samsung quickly released the GNote II and some of the active folks in this forum have moved on to that phone. That is the nature of Android.01-04-2013 08:29 PMLike 4
- Our forum is far from 'barren'. What most seem to realize after being in the Android space for a short amount of time is that there tends to be one website that becomes the figurative 'home' for development of that device. We have plenty of other sections with plenty of other activity.
Maybe you could tell us what you're looking for. Right now, you say you want 'more' but you don't really define what 'more' means.
I'm anxiously awaiting the JB update...as I'm sure others are. Hopefully around the MWWC show time. I'm not going to play around with rooting...for now, I'm pretty happy with ICS (definitely a step up from HC).
I really dig the Note...I was just curious where all the other owners were hanging out, discussing and contemplating Hope that makes sense. The 'newness' of the device and it's maturity makes a lot of sense. I'm a year in but already VERY interested in the Note2. Hopefully the JB update entertains me enough to hold out for the third iteration!!
Thanks fellas, I appreciate your time
J01-30-2013 12:51 PMLike 1
- Samsung Android Phones
- More Samsung Phones
- Samsung Galaxy Note
- AT&T Galaxy Note
Why is this forum so barren?
- By Defconrock in forum Verizon Galaxy NexusReplies: 51Last Post: 06-05-2012, 09:54 AM
- By racedog in forum Verizon Galaxy NexusReplies: 2Last Post: 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM
- By carp00r85 in forum T-Mobile HTC SensationReplies: 10Last Post: 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM
- By Boilingpoint in forum LG Optimus SReplies: 18Last Post: 02-24-2011, 10:52 AM
- By MattMJB0188 in forum HTC myTouch 4GReplies: 10Last Post: 01-09-2011, 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD