1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

Post AT&T OTA Firmware Upgrade

I allowed the installation of an A&T over the air firmware upgrade (Android version 4.04 | Baseband version I717UCMB4) that has made the device incompatible with future Samsung firmware upgrades though Kies. Samsung and AT&T technical support were not helpful in understanding what impact this AT&T OTA firmware upgrade would have in getting Android Jelly Bean when, and if, it becomes available. Any ideas?

Default Re: AT&T OTA Firmware Upgrade

I just had the same thing happen to me on my original Note. Kies says "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies." Hopefully somebody will know something.

Same thing happened to me this morning. I was hoping it was the Jelly Bean update, but instead it seem like its an update to block the update. WTF?

ROM
    UCLF5

This always happens when the phone gets ahead of the software. When Kies gets updated, that message will change.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Xingularity View Post
    This always happens when the phone gets ahead of the software. When Kies gets updated, that message will change.
    I sure hope you're right. I was actually hoping it was something to do with setting the stage for Jelly Bean.

ROM
    UCLF5

Actually I thought this was going to the update that removes universal search. Glad it wasn't. I'm hoping it's the one that gets us ready for jelly bean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Thumbs down Re: AT&T OTA Firmware Upgrade

I got it last night & got a little bit ecstatic that maybe, finally, it was the Jelly Bean update. Sadly, I was mistaken.
    Last edited by jeuw; 03-19-2013 at 04:59 PM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

This is reassuring. Samsung and AT&T technical support representatives should be informed so that they, in turn, can inform end-users.

ROM
    OEM

I just got mine today, 03-18-2013 and like other poster, KIES does not support the firmware. If and when JB update comes up, heavens forbid, may never show up, we can always download the firmware and flash through odin.

I got the update yesterday. Does anyone know what it is for? I really want to know what it is!

ROM
    OEM

from the looks on apps installed, it just reinstalled all the AT&T bloatware i uninstalled. could be pre jb update (lol)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pikake View Post
    from the looks on apps installed, it just reinstalled all the AT&T bloatware i uninstalled. could be pre jb update (lol)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    But would if you didn't uninstall the bloatware? Why would it reinstall it? It just doesn't make any sense! I don't think that was what the update was for!

ROM
    OEM

I am just posting my own observation from my device

I just let Kies re-install the device driver and Kies works fine again.
    Loren

I had an old version of Kies and when I hooked my phone up to it, it said that there was a firmware update to JB on my Note SGH-I717. While I was selecting to apply it, it popped up with a bubble that said that kies wasn't up to date and that the update had better back-up capability so I said yeah... sure.. Why not update Kies? Do a back-up, and then update to JB? Safe... Smart right? Well after I upgraded Kies, no more JB update, and non-compatable initialise... Boo.. and F*&^ jelly beans. That is all.

I read this today:

For the folks who are having out-of-sync issues between Kies and the JB update, do you have international versions of the phone? If so, that may be the problem, since there's no reason for the American version of Kies to recognize it because the International version isn't officially supported here.

Thanked by:

Why are AT&T users using Kies? It's not required..

ROM
    UCLF5

Because with the att Samsung phones, small updates go out over the air. Big updates are sent out thru kies

Because with the att Samsung phones, small updates go out over the air. Big updates are sent out thru kies

I know, but there is no "big" update. Read my link above.

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

As far as I know, anything after ICS is all OTA and only put onto kies after the updates have been out for a month or so.

They did this with the note 2 updates as well, from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 and the project butter add ons.

OTA is the way they are going to do updates from now on. Besides, kies has always been problematic with updating devices.

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.

ROM
    UCLF5

4.0 to 4.1 will probably be thru kies. If we get 4.2 it will probably be OTA