Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default Galaxy Note: Problem with Kies and Update

Hello!!

When i plug my G Note on my PC to update via Kies it says that i have and update. It downloads the software and them Kies closes.

Is the a problem with Kies or am i doing something wrong?

Thank you!!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-20-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    Back in Black/Android and BBM 79CEE950

Default Re: Problem with Kies and Update

Kies can be very temperamental. My suggestion is as follows

1. Reboot phone and computer
    2. Make sure phone is set to MTP mode for the usb connection and usb debugging is turned off.
    3. Start Kies and let the to connect
    4. Be patient. When I updated my phone it took forever for a few of the steps to progress.Just leave it attached and wait.

Pay attention to any messages kies says. Even though samsung says you can leave external memory alone, kies kept saying to remove it before updating. It would not go through until i did

Good point. I forgot about that. I did have to unmount my sd card before the update started. You don't have to remove it, just unmount it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

i have done everything you guys have said...still Kies disappears.....THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock LF6

Have you tried putting the phone in Download Mode then using the Tools>Firmware upgrade and initialization option?

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

I had the same problem. I tried the suggestions and still nothing. I even made sure my phone was fully charged because I got some message saying my phone's charge may not last the update which is the stupidest thing since it's plugged into the computer. Why isn't this update OTA? Samsung, you're killing me.

First, Kies stinks. Did you completely un-install Kies and all of the drivers? I did a complete removal and re-installed Kies. It doesnt say but I did remove my SD card after several failed attempts and it finally worked. Kies take FOREVER to load anything, so you must be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig King View Post

2. Make sure phone is set to MTP mode for the usb connection and usb debugging is turned off.
    4. Be patient. When I updated my phone it took forever for a few of the steps to progress.Just leave it attached and wait.
    Hi, I'm pretty new about android still, but i got G note (1) with AT&T carrier.

As everybody mentioned here, i also got notification to update to JB.
    I just have no luck updating to JB using Kies.
    First, I install Kies on my mac, and everytime it attempt to download new FW, it will disconnect my phone to Kies.

I then read several suggestion on google find, I factory reset my phone, and tried, still have the same problem.

Today, I tried to do it through PC (at work), then for some reason, whenever I connect my USB cable to PC, it will loose all other USB connected tool, such as keyboard and mouse. (they just stop working). I was able to fix by power off PC, and unplug power cable then plug back in everything to fix.

HOWEVER, everytime I plug in my G Note's usb cable to PC, it will disconnect USB connection (such as mouse and keyboard).

I want to try the step by step Craig King suggest, however, I don't know how to do step 2
    "2. Make sure phone is set to MTP mode for the usb connection and usb debugging is turned off."

Can anyone kind enough to explain it to me?

Thank you,

Do AT&T store update for me, if I bring my phone to the store...?

Most likely the easiest way to check would be connect it to the pc and then pull down the notification bar. Once it is down select the ongoing item listed as "Connected as a XXX device"

If it is setup as a MTP device it will show "media device". If it isn't setup that way it may say something about being connected as a camera.

To turn off usb Debugging just open up the settings menu and then scroll all the way to the bottom. There should be a menu option for "Developer options". Open that up and one of the top options should be USB Debugging. Just make sure it isn't checked.

Odds are unless you were doing something special those weren't changed as what I am telling you to check is basically make sure you are at factory defaults.

You may need to try different usb ports. I have had occasions were certain usb ports just would not for KIES and flashing updates to my phones before.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Kies is really frustrating me. It says there's a software upgrade needed in order to upgrade the firmware, so I click update (by the way, I've done this a million times already). After I click update, it just stays there and doesn't update, doesn't even say 0% it just opens a blank window and it's just damn there.

Just take mini SD out. I tried everything and this was in fact the solution.

Worked on it for two nights. Dismounted the external card and it worked the very next time.

Same here. Did everything possible and finally unmounted the SD (even though there was enough space for the upgrade). It finally updated the firmware.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

I don't understand why this just wasn't an OTA update. Say what you will about Apple and iOS, when it comes to uniform updates, you know there's going to be one, when it will arrive, and guaranteed it will work.

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Quote Originally Posted by tkong View Post
    I don't understand why this just wasn't an OTA update. Say what you will about Apple and iOS, when it comes to uniform updates, you know there's going to be one, when it will arrive, and guaranteed it will work.
    I know HTC does OTAs. Not sure why this wasn't. I really don't know though because I root and don't take otas

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    TOSHIBA Thrive Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Craig King View Post

what s an MTP connection and how does one turn it off

My back up says 19% done but that has remained like that for 50mins or more. At what point do I consider it frozen and reboot?

MTP = Media transport protocal, and pretty much the standard connectivity option for most newer phones with ICS and above. The days of defaulting to running like a thumb drive are gone.

I didn't do a backup, and never really had success with that with KIES. Not sure what you should do for that. I do remember it being very flacky though the couple of times i tried it.

I have tried everything in this thread but as soon as the download of the update begins I get "Please connect device" although I have not disconnected it!. On renewal I will go for a different non-Samsung phone as I have spent many hours on this and it can't be that difficult for Samsung to produce a better more reliable program than Kies. I never had problem with Nokia updates years ago.

i had the same problem on my laptop, i tried to download kies on another computer then update my phone on it, it worked. that may help you

Kies is such an useless piece of garbage.
    ITunes sometimes also had a bug in a new update. But it took maximum days for Apple to bring a fix in a new update.
    Backup on a S4 (kies and phone with latest updates) just gets stuck for hours at variable points within the Backup. Only chance is to cancel.
    After that you have hell of a lot of subfolders in kies backup folder...those are all empty!
    One time it went through, hurray! Just could not backup the apps. Kies offers to backup apps, but obviously this is not possible unless you jailbreak the phone. Anyway after this successfull (WHAT AJOKE.!) backup, there was nothing to find to restore......kies backup folder had two files with a few kb......
    Kies is programmed by amateurs and only released after hard testing by monkeys.

In iTunes: can set the iPhone to connect automatically if in the wifi at home, full backup of 64 Gb model when almost fully utilized the 64 GB takes a few minutes in the background. You get ONE FILE where you can decide where to store it (i.e on my NAS). And in case of iPhone backup means that when y ou take any empty phone and restore it, it will be EXACTLY 100% like the phone you Made the backup from. And that means EVERYTHING including apps and settings!

I really am not a friend of Apple (one time Apple....always Apple) but compared to that garbage Samsung offers I cannot belive, that they sold more phones than Apple. Samsung, pray that the Asians never wake up!
    Last edited by Thomas Schwarz; 08-28-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Same problem for me except the window would stay grayed out and "not responding. Im on Windows 7 64 bit with galaxy s2 T989. I changed compatibility to XP sp3 and run as admin, but no luck. After reboots and different usb ports same problem. Finally after it happened again, i manually ended the program AND ALL of its processes(like 5-6 of them) in task manager. I opened kies again and the update worked fine. I ended kies main process before but not all of them. Ctrl+alt+del and end these processes; admindelegator.exe, connectionmanager.exe, sgh-t989.exe, kiespdlr.exe, devicemanager.exe, kies.exe, kiestrayagent.exe and restart kies. hope it helps.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I've had an on and off problem/s with Kies, it is the most temperamental pce of software ever and their technical, though knowledgeable, really could not assist.
    But for those who, like me, rely on syncing their schedules with outlook, this is the best sync software ever:
    FJ Software Development, MyPhoneExplorer, easy to setup and use.
    With regards to Kies updates, if you do not, Kies will just stop working, but if you only use Kies for the podcasts, that's the only thing it is good for and not much else.
    Sad to say this but it's true. Whoever created MyPhone Explorer deserves ALL the credit and donations, even though it is freeware, they well deserve it.
    A Big thank you to them, for giving me an alternative to using rubbish Kies!

I downloaded a Kies for Mac update a couple of days ago. Since then, there is no longer an option to sync multimedia. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

check that you have the latest version of Samsung Kies installed, then if you have updated reboot the computer, you don't have to boot the phone into download mode, it will do it for you. you might want to check the samsung official youtube videos on updating through Kies, maybe there's something you missed out, and make sure the battery is fully charged i dont know if that matters because it is charging when you connected
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast