SMS turned off?

Adriannnnnn

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what happened here. People are confirming that they can see my text messages, but I can't receive them.

I've downloaded a few 3rd party apps with no luck. I've updated software. I then noticed when attempting to use Google Hangouts that I need to go to Settings to turn SMS on. I've searched high and low and couldn't find any such option. (The closest I could find was the area where you can see a graph of your data usage)

I'm stumped here. Any help?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what happened here. People are confirming that they can see my text messages, but I can't receive them.

I've downloaded a few 3rd party apps with no luck. I've updated software. I then noticed when attempting to use Google Hangouts that I need to go to Settings to turn SMS on. I've searched high and low and couldn't find any such option. (The closest I could find was the area where you can see a graph of your data usage)

I'm stumped here. Any help?

Don't use Hangouts. Also clear cache in your texting app and reboot. Also, is your data connection ok?

Adriannnnnn

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I've also tried that and there's nothing in the cache. I've done force stops, disable/enable. Countless reboots. Pulled the sim card. I've tried 5 different text apps (hence Hangouts).

Also, my LTE connection is strong. Everything data related (that I use) works perfectly fine. I'm afraid this phone may be at the end of the road, it's just an expense I'd like to prolong.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've also tried that and there's nothing in the cache. I've done force stops, disable/enable. Countless reboots. Pulled the sim card. I've tried 5 different text apps (hence Hangouts).

Also, my LTE connection is strong. Everything data related (that I use) works perfectly fine. I'm afraid this phone may be at the end of the road, it's just an expense I'd like to prolong.

Hangouts as an SMS app is a work in progress and is very inconsistent. Which SMS apps have you tried? Try 8SMS. Also, is your phone rooted? Is your stock SMS app still on the phone? If so, are any texts still going there? Sometimes, when you use a 3rd party SMS app, the texts should still go to the stock texting app

Adriannnnnn

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't find anything called "8SMS" in the Play Store.

The phone is not rooted. I've tried Go SMS Pro, some other app recommended in the search results, and the default messaging apps on the phone. (Messages, Hangout, and AT&T Messages). I've successfully sent text messages but nothing is coming through on my end on any text messaging app.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't find anything called "8SMS" in the Play Store.

The phone is not rooted. I've tried Go SMS Pro, some other app recommended in the search results, and the default messaging apps on the phone. (Messages, Hangout, and AT&T Messages). I've successfully sent text messages but nothing is coming through on my end on any text messaging app.

Ooops, never mind. 8SMS is only for kitkat roms.
Are you using any task killers or apps that alter your startup apps when you turn the phone on or reboot?

Adriannnnnn

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes to the startup app killer. I deleted it and still... nothing. Would hate to reset this thing but it may be necessary at this point. Can games and their high scores be saved? :(