1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default It has NFC support!

With the aid of eagle-eyed Android dev Francois Simond, we conducted an extended analysis of Ma Bell's latest gem and discovered it's rife with NFC. In addition to containing kernel drivers and a pre-installed APK, the system files also indicate the device is running in a mode named NDEF -- short for NFC Data Exchange Format. We haven't been able to determine if the handset will be capable of making payments, but the presence of Near-Field Communications in the Galaxy S II is definitely a good sign. T-Mobile is keeping a tight lid on its variant for the moment, preventing us from getting an in-depth look, but FCC filings confirm it will contain NFC as well.

Default Re: It has NFC support!

This sealed it for me. I guess I'll be staying with AT&T

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shady909 View Post
    This sealed it for me. I guess I'll be staying with AT&T
    Whats so special about nfc support agaiin? lol

You can pay for stuff by waving your phone.

Not that many stores in the US support that yet, but I assume it's coming. This is very popular in Asia, I've heard.

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

Thats what I thought but I doubt many places have that system implemented yet, so not sure how good having it would be. Sorta like if this sgs2 was an lte device, I know for a fact my area doesnt have it and it'll be a while until it does. We're lucky if we see 4g speeds.

Well I'm sure a lot of you have seen this before when you go to the gas station or fast food place. It appears it's been around me for longer than I've known because I never really noticed, once I make it a point to purposely look

Quote Originally Posted by SysAdmNj View Post
    Whats so special about nfc support agaiin? lol
    If I'm going to be stuck with a phone for two years I want to make sure it has the latest bells and whistles. I live in a metro area where I can easily see them implementing it on the subway system. They already have it at some fast food restaurants.

Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts

Ok-- stupid question. How do you tie your credit card info to the NFC in your phone and is this safe?

Quote Originally Posted by tlo07 View Post
    Ok-- stupid question. How do you tie your credit card info to the NFC in your phone and is this safe?
    Using google wallet app. You can throw money from a card onto your google virtual wallet so that only a certain amount if money can be spent or you can type your credit cards into the app and save them. You just swipe left or right to choose to pay with google wallet or find your specific credit card you have saved.