any idea of full retail price?

m.vasquez009

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
hey i was wondering if anyone has a source they can share or even a general idea of what the full retail off contract price of the att sgs2 will cost??? i have heard the sprint version retails at 550? correct me if im wrong.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
hey i was wondering if anyone has a source they can share or even a general idea of what the full retail off contract price of the att sgs2 will cost??? i have heard the sprint version retails at 550? correct me if im wrong.

Right after the AT&T Twitter post announcing the date and price of the phone. The same post about an hour later said the off-contract price will be $549.99.

Sorry I can't link to the twitter post, I don't have access at work.

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Luckily I jumped on the international version that was on sale for a day at dailysteals.com several days ago. The had it for $499 plus $5 shipping. That's still less than ATT's off-contract price. Don't really care for NFC until it's widely adopted and all the kinks worked out. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is the lack of search button, but I think I'll be fine with it.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Luckily I jumped on the international version that was on sale for a day at dailysteals.com several days ago. The had it for $499 plus $5 shipping. That's still less than ATT's off-contract price. Don't really care for NFC until it's widely adopted and all the kinks worked out. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is the lack of search button, but I think I'll be fine with it.

I almost did this too. The Samsung people said they do not support the international device in US, so no official software updates. Also no Waranty.

If you plan on rooting, not a big deal...I'm jealous:(

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I almost did this too. The Samsung people said they do not support the international device in US, so no official software updates. Also no Waranty.

If you plan on rooting, not a big deal...I'm jealous:(

I sort of read about that warranty deal, but I'm taking a chance on that. Here's the question though: was the unlocked international version ever officially available for sale in the US? Can you get a version with USA warranty that's not from carrier?

I don't think I'm going to root. I've gotten to the point where I just want to use the phone and not have to mess with it. I highly doubt that there's not going to be software update because it's an international version. In fact, I think it will get faster update than ATT's version seeing it doesn't have to go through carrier certification and all.

The only thing with dailysteals is that they do take their sweet time shipping. I bought a Jawbone BT headset from them one time, so I know they're legit. I'd like to have it now for sure, but for that price, I can wait a week or more. $499 is almost $100 off current price on Amazon.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

The search button is actually the home (center) button. Just press it twice real fast and there you go. Congrats on the price. I would have jumped on that deal if I was still on contact.

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The search button is actually the home (center) button. Just press it twice real fast and there you go. Congrats on the price. I would have jumped on that deal if I was still on contact.

Thanks! I'm actually coming from webOS. The only other Android phone I've used was Dell Streak and that did not have a search button too. It's not my reading device at home. On the Streak, you'd have to hold the menu capacitive key to activate search. Not a fan of that. But I think I'll really like the double tap on an actual physical button.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I sort of read about that warranty deal, but I'm taking a chance on that. Here's the question though: was the unlocked international version ever officially available for sale in the US? Can you get a version with USA warranty that's not from carrier?

I don't think I'm going to root. I've gotten to the point where I just want to use the phone and not have to mess with it. I highly doubt that there's not going to be software update because it's an international version. In fact, I think it will get faster update than ATT's version seeing it doesn't have to go through carrier certification and all.

The only thing with dailysteals is that they do take their sweet time shipping. I bought a Jawbone BT headset from them one time, so I know they're legit. I'd like to have it now for sure, but for that price, I can wait a week or more. $499 is almost $100 off current price on Amazon.

I am assuming yours did not ship yet? I also jumped on the deal but a bit worried on shipping time. Their FAQ states within 6 days so hopefully it'll ship soon but you are right....they are taking their sweet time.

They also sell it on eBay and state same day shipping, no idea why it'll take a full week on their site but the same company(Both out of NY so I am assuming same warehouse)takes one day.

But I am thinking if they don't ship by Wed then I might cancel and get it from Amazon for $70 ish more with free two day shipping....or maybe get the AT&T version which I rly rather not do because I prefer the physical button. Plus hotspot being unlocked without me needing to root is helpful also.

Only pause on international is the warranty issue. I haven't found a fullproof way at all to get a warranty on it unfortunately. Since squaretrade will only take over once the normal warranty fades that will be a year out. Not too sure how they would cover it....Maybe if something goes wrong you can smash it and pay a deductable to get a new one? Idk but its still $100 for that warranty that won't cover anything within the first year where most malfunctions happen.

PS - To the PP with the search function being dbl tapping....Thanks! Didn't know that. Although I have never used a search button on Android so idt I'll miss it. All apps I have used had a button easily gotten to without the need of the physical button to search.

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I am assuming yours did not ship yet? I also jumped on the deal but a bit worried on shipping time. Their FAQ states within 6 days so hopefully it'll ship soon but you are right....they are taking their sweet time.

They also sell it on eBay and state same day shipping, no idea why it'll take a full week on their site but the same company(Both out of NY so I am assuming same warehouse)takes one day.

But I am thinking if they don't ship by Wed then I might cancel and get it from Amazon for $70 ish more with free two day shipping....or maybe get the AT&T version which I rly rather not do because I prefer the physical button. Plus hotspot being unlocked without me needing to root is helpful also.

Only pause on international is the warranty issue. I haven't found a fullproof way at all to get a warranty on it unfortunately. Since squaretrade will only take over once the normal warranty fades that will be a year out. Not too sure how they would cover it....Maybe if something goes wrong you can smash it and pay a deductable to get a new one? Idk but its still $100 for that warranty that won't cover anything within the first year where most malfunctions happen.

PS - To the PP with the search function being dbl tapping....Thanks! Didn't know that. Although I have never used a search button on Android so idt I'll miss it. All apps I have used had a button easily gotten to without the need of the physical button to search.

Nope, mine hasn't shipped yet as well. I know they'll get it out by next week. Prices on Amazon continues to drop as to be expected. We all know this always happens - price drop the longer the device has been around and as new devices come out.

As for warranty - I looked at the reputable Expansys site and I don't see any warranty info on their site either. The phone was never technically available in the US. If it was, Amazon would carry this themselves and not relegated to fulfilling 3rd party seller's stock. Expansys imports them since they're global. So I would assume Expansys's version is also under International warranty. Even on Amazon, they're all International warranty. There's one listing that has International warranty but then states 'carries USA warranty.' I don't trust that seller at all.

In the end, there's pro and cons on getting unlocked vs. carrier version. You just have to pick your poison.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nope, mine hasn't shipped yet as well. I know they'll get it out by next week. Prices on Amazon continues to drop as to be expected. We all know this always happens - price drop the longer the device has been around and as new devices come out.

As for warranty - I looked at the reputable Expansys site and I don't see any warranty info on their site either. The phone was never technically available in the US. If it was, Amazon would carry this themselves and not relegated to fulfilling 3rd party seller's stock. Expansys imports them since they're global. So I would assume Expansys's version is also under International warranty. Even on Amazon, they're all International warranty. There's one listing that has International warranty but then states 'carries USA warranty.' I don't trust that seller at all.

In the end, there's pro and cons on getting unlocked vs. carrier version. You just have to pick your poison.

Hope you are right about next week. I am super excited to finally have 3G service. :)

I also looked at Expansis this morning because I read somewhere on xda a few months ago Expansis does have warranty because they ship it back to Europe to cover it. But while on their site I saw nothing about a warranty and there was even 4 times ppl asking on the forums about it with 0 responses. So I am not about to pay $25 more to buy from them without that clear.

As to the Amazon....they actually DO carry it. Its just so overpriced its crazy. Its $668.47 atm sold through Amazon and there are 5 prime shippers with better prices.

The cheapest seller is $5 cheaper then it was this morning on Amazon so it certainly seems to be dropping daily. By next week I might be able to get it from Amazon for $505. :)

Ok I kinda doubt that but would be nice if it went under $550 like the AT&T version.

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
As to the Amazon....they actually DO carry it. Its just so overpriced its crazy. Its $668.47 atm sold through Amazon and there are 5 prime shippers with better prices.

Just looked at the price and Amazon is fulfilling it for $597 now. But it still doesn't change the fact that it's also an International warranty. Amazon might swap it out, within a certain amount of time. I also looked at Newegg and their warranty is fulfilled by third party as well.

I think there's no easy answer. Hey, you could always put it on eBay and buy one that has a 'warranty.' Meanwhile, I'm crossing my fingers that it'll be fine.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just looked at the price and Amazon is fulfilling it for $597 now. But it still doesn't change the fact that it's also an International warranty. Amazon might swap it out, within a certain amount of time. I also looked at Newegg and their warranty is fulfilled by third party as well.

I think there's no easy answer. Hey, you could always put it on eBay and buy one that has a 'warranty.' Meanwhile, I'm crossing my fingers that it'll be fine.

You're right....I was looking at the "No Warranty" version which is weird its more money then the one with the international. I wonder if you get the one with "No warranty" if Squaretrade will cover it?

$549 for the AT&T version actually seems like a decent price though considering some prices of other phones that launch.

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You're right....I was looking at the "No Warranty" version which is weird its more money then the one with the international. I wonder if you get the one with "No warranty" if Squaretrade will cover it?

$549 for the AT&T version actually seems like a decent price though considering some prices of other phones that launch.

I've actually considered waiting for the ATT version and getting it off contract. My renewal is not until Jan 2012. But then the thought of ATT blocking tethering or able to detect it through their rom and waiting for update from them really pushed me to get the unlocked International version.

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I've actually considered waiting for the ATT version and getting it off contract. My renewal is not until Jan 2012. But then the thought of ATT blocking tethering or able to detect it through their rom and waiting for update from them really pushed me to get the unlocked International version.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta