Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switching from Iphone 3G to SGS2

So I'm going to make the switch from my current Iphone 3g to the Galaxy S2, my question is am I going to be able to keep my unlimited data plan or are they going to want to make me switch plans?

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOSPx

Default Re: Switching from Iphone 3G to SGS2

You can keep your unlimited plan, just you have to make sure they don't switch you to the limited plans when you buy the new phone.
    mpazevedo likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Is there a difference at all between the Iphone data plan and the rest of AT&T's data plans?

Just the names, the iPhone data plan is called just that, and the data for any other phone is called a "smartphone data plan"
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Gotcha, so sounds like I just need to make sure they don't try to screw me when I go to get the new phone.

Pretty much, I've done it a couple times and they make it easy. It just changes that one thing. The main difference between the two plans is the visual voicemail on the iPhone plan.
    mpazevedo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bake View Post
    Pretty much, I've done it a couple times and they make it easy. It just changes that one thing. The main difference between the two plans is the visual voicemail on the iPhone plan.
    I'll also be new to Android, does gingerbread not support visual voicemail?

Not unless you use Gtalk. Even then its different than the iPhone's version of "visual voicemail" Out of the gate you will just have standard voicemail that all other phones have. (call the number and get your messages)

Quote Originally Posted by travis442 View Post
    So I'm going to make the switch from my current Iphone 3g to the Galaxy S2, my question is am I going to be able to keep my unlimited data plan or are they going to want to make me switch plans?
    From the source:

Clarification on the New Smartphone Data Plans! - AT&T Community Support

Hope that helps.
    travis442 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by mpazevedo View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the link.

I think I might just print that off and take with me when I go to get my phone so I don't even have to worry about the possibility of them trying to argue with me.
    TBayTom and mpazevedo like this.

I think I might just print that off and take with me when I go to get my phone so I don't even have to worry about the possibility of them trying to argue with me.
    LOL, that is funny, I was thinking of the same idea. You know how these guys are, since they don't know anything about anything about their job.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

It's sad but true, its amazing how many times you can go into a store or business and they don't know their own policies.

Good idea..

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

no difference i had an iphone

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

can't wait for the s2

There are a few visual voicemail apps available. My favorite is PhoneFusion's Visual Voicemail Plus. Hullomail isn't bad, either.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I never used the visual voice mail on my Iphone so not really something I'm going to lose any sleep over after switching.

From a legal standpoint, AT&T isn't contractually obligated to provide you with unlimited data once your initial two-year agreement expires. When you sign a new two-year agreement, you are entering into a new contract with new terms. However, AT&T's current policy is to let you keep unlimited data if you had it before.

Ok I have a question. So I currently have an iPhone 3Gs and I'm planning on getting the Galaxy S II. So my question is, do I have to pay extra to get 4G service?

No, and its not actually 4g, don't get too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by jSiLeNt619 View Post
    Ok I have a question. So I currently have an iPhone 3Gs and I'm planning on getting the Galaxy S II. So my question is, do I have to pay extra to get 4G service?
    I too have the 3GS and just pre-ordered the GSII @ Best Buy mobile. Since I have unlimited data it will carry over to HSPA+. Think of it as 3G 1/2 or 3/4 or LTE (4G) lite. I doubt once AT&T gets full 4G (LTE) that it will be transferable. ***fingers crossed.

LTE at the moment is such a battery hog. It's supper fast for those who have it. Not available in my area. I actually think it's good that it's HSPA+ right now while the battery manufacturers work on putting more juice in them while still staying small.

Quote Originally Posted by mpazevedo View Post
    I too have the 3GS and just pre-ordered the GSII @ Best Buy mobile. Since I have unlimited data it will carry over to HSPA+. Think of it as 3G 1/2 or 3/4 or LTE (4G) lite. I doubt once AT&T gets full 4G (LTE) that it will be transferable. ***fingers crossed.

LTE at the moment is such a battery hog. It's supper fast for those who have it. Not available in my area. I actually think it's good that it's HSPA+ right now while the battery manufacturers work on putting more juice in them while still staying small.
    Ok cool. Ah since i have the unlimited data plan for the iPhone, when i get the phone it will automatically carry over to HSPA+ (4G lite) and still be unlimited. That's nice, i thought that I would have to pay additional a month on the data plan for the 4G lite service. So when i renew my contract, all i will have to pay is for the phone and activation fee. Thanks for answering my question man. Im going to be a noob to android

Quote Originally Posted by jSiLeNt619 View Post
    Ok cool. Ah since i have the unlimited data plan for the iPhone, when i get the phone it will automatically carry over to HSPA+ (4G lite) and still be unlimited. That's nice, i thought that I would have to pay additional a month on the data plan for the 4G lite service. So when i renew my contract, all i will have to pay is for the phone and activation fee. Thanks for answering my question man. Im going to be a noob to android
    No problem, make sure they know you have the unlimited data plan and that you want to keep it. I know they are pretty good at transferring it, just in case. Keep up on Android at these forums, the Android Central podcasts and the XDA-Developers.com website if one day you want to root your phone.

Here's a question somewhat in line with this topic:

I currently have an iphone 4 and on Sunday will be going to open a new line and get the gs2 that way.
    Since the iphone has a micro SIM. Will they be able to give me a new SIM for my existing line?

How would that work?

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
    Here's a question somewhat in line with this topic:

I currently have an iphone 4 and on Sunday will be going to open a new line and get the gs2 that way.
    Since the iphone has a micro SIM. Will they be able to give me a new SIM for my existing line?

How would that work?
    They can give you a new sim no problem, and can transfer contacts if you have them saved to it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast