Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Lightbulb AT&T vs Best Buy vs Walmart

Hi Guys,

I'm going to buy the new Samsung Galaxy S II this Sunday, and I'm debating which store I should buy from. That is, if Best Buy or Walmart has them in stock Sunday.

I usually go ahead and buy my phone from AT&T in order to get the year warranty replacement service that they offer. If anything happens with my phone they replace it free of charge at a local service center. Now, I'm starting to hear about services that Best Buy and Walmart currently provide. Anyone know what the key differences between buying at AT&T directly and Best Buy/Walmart (besides price differences)?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TBayTom; 09-29-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Default Re: AT&T vs Best Buy vs Walmart

just curious if I went to my 24hr Wal-Mart at midnight on Sunday would I be able to get the phone lol.

I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER

I'm not sure. But none of them will know it as an Attain. It is called a Galaxy S II (2). Attain was just a speculated name that never came to be.
    Thanked by:

I can tell you Walmart can be a hassle. Just because they are an indirect link to ATT. My wife got her iPhone upgrade(White i4) at Walmart, and it took an hour and a half. Our issue was with the grandfathered unlimited plan. Spent about 45 minutes on phone with ATT.

They can be much cheaper though
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by LazrRocketArm View Post
    I can tell you Walmart can be a hassle. Just because they are an indirect link to ATT. My wife got her iPhone upgrade(White i4) at Walmart, and it took an hour and a half. Our issue was with the grandfathered unlimited plan. Spent about 45 minutes on phone with ATT.

They can be much cheaper though
    Right, that is what I've come to expect from anything associated with Walmart these days lol. For each provider, I'm thinking along the lines of replacing a broken phone, giving you a phone to use while your phone is being replaced, etc...

I bought my last phone from Costco and had an issue with my unlimited data plan and required several a calls to ATT support to get fixed.

Anyone had the same issue with Best Buy? I may stick with AT&T store for that reason. I already have the HSPA+ unlimited data plan due to having the Atrix. I just need to pop my sim card in the SGS II and go!

i really wish bb or walmart would put up their prices already. geez. when they announced all the gs2's walmart had it's prices up a day or two later for the Epic Touch
    Last edited by boondoc; 09-29-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boondoc View Post
    i really wish bb or walmart would put up their prices already. geez. when they announced all the gs2's walmart had it's prices up a day or two later
    I am confused. You mentioned Walmart as having the price and also not having the price?

for sprint. i'll edit

Quote Originally Posted by boondoc View Post
    i really wish bb or walmart would put up their prices already. geez. when they announced all the gs2's walmart had it's prices up a day or two later for the Epic Touch
    Wasn't the price for bb already discussed? It's $199 on contract or $649 unsubsidized.

actually the price is 549 off contract.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinchaos View Post
    Wasn't the price for bb already discussed? It's $199 on contract or $649 unsubsidized.
    i recall someone saying that they paid $649 for it from best buy which made no sense to me since it's $100 cheaper from ATT but i don't remember him saying that he found out what the on contract price would be

edit: so i just went and looked at @bestbuymobile and they do indeed say they're going to be selling on contract for $199. well... here's hoping Walmart gives us a better offer
    Last edited by boondoc; 09-29-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Global Posts
    3,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    unNamed v2.2.1

My local Best Buy is receiving 5 of them on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by zmagrini View Post
    actually the price is 549 off contract.
    At AT&T maybe, but Best Buy always charges more for the phones, since they only really make money off of the contract. The sprint version is $499 at sprint, $699 at best buy. :/
    mpazevedo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
    My local Best Buy is receiving 5 of them on Sunday.
    Yeah mine is only getting 2 of them. :/

Quote Originally Posted by kevinchaos View Post
    At AT&T maybe, but Best Buy always charges more for the phones, since they only really make money off of the contract. The sprint version is $499 at sprint, $699 at best buy. :/
    Best Buy also price matches

Obviously... But we're talking about the advertised prices, not price matching...

right. we have to find someone selling it for lower than 199 for them to pricematch in the first place

Global Posts
    3,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    unNamed v2.2.1

Does best buy price match the full retail price of the phone? I guess I never thought to ask them.

if im renewing and usin my free upgrade which would you guys prefer
    best buy or att

i just called att and i know they wil have it, but about about store warranty

didnt someone mention att has a 1 year warranty? is this free?

also, if im under a family plan do i have to go with the owner of the plan to use my free upgrade? i will be purchasing using my own money and i am guessing ill have to set up a seperate data plan on my own credit card

Quote Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
    best buy or att

also, if im under a family plan do i have to go with the owner of the plan to use my free upgrade? i will be purchasing using my own money and i am guessing ill have to set up a seperate data plan on my own credit card
    Whatever has the phone.

Don't know about the warranty.

Family plan, you need the last 4 of the SSN and the name on the account. When I did it on my 3GS, I called my mother in law and got that info over the phone. This time around I knew all that.
    If my comments were helpful, please hit the thanks button for me.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

most new phones come with a one year warranty but it is limited and could be a pain to go through. If you are authorized to make changes to the account, you do not need the main account holder to be present to make changes or buy new phones. I am pretty sure that unless ATT does it differently, you will not be able to charge the data plan to a separate card.

My experience is with Verizon so YMMV

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

In my experience with AT&T family plans over the past 7 years or so has been that it is all one big bill. When I was still on my parents plan I needed the primary present at first, but was later authorized for charges and just needed the PIN she set for the account.

Not 100% sure now because I am the primary on my account and I am usually the one ordering or picking up phones that are on the account. I'm not and never have been an employee for AT&T.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
    best buy or att

AT&T does have a 1 year warranty on phones purchased through them. I used this to replace my captivate which was acting up. All I had to do was go to a local AT&T service center, briefly explain my situation, and 15 minutes later they gave me a new captivate. I believe it is refurbished, but I loved that same day service. Also, I was a couple weeks over the year warranty, and the rep said it wasn't a problem.

My point in creating this thread was to see if Best Buy/Walmart offers this kind of service for their customers. I know they have lower prices, but I want to see if they do anything above and beyond the sale.

thanks guys, so basically i have to go with my dad :<

i am gona call best buy n see if they have it for sale like i read in other threads

if they do i will go as soon as posible, if not i gota wait for sunday

T_T

also, whats best buy warranty, just a retail 30 day thing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast