Notification settings problem- I feel dumb

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
OK so I just got this phone, Switching from a captivate. How do I do the settings so that it just vibrates when I get an sms message, no sound. I had it set to do that on my old phone but doing the settings the same here doesn't work... I have the message ringtone set to silent and then vibrate setting set to "only in silent mlde". It doesn't vibrate for texts though. Any help?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
While in the application go to settings. ie while in sms hit the menu button then go to settings. You should be about to do the same for sms as you did for messages.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that doesn't work though. When i go into setting in the message app the only like notifications settings i can change are "select ringtone" and a checkbox to decide if i want to display new messages in the notifications bar...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that doesn't work though. When i go into setting in the message app the only like notifications settings i can change are "select ringtone" and a checkbox to decide if i want to display new messages in the notifications bar...

if you select silent as your ringtone in the message app and then in the sound profile in settings select always for vibration?

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
that's what I'm doing now, but then it puts the vibrate symbol in the notifications bar that is identical to what it does when the phone is in silent mode... Which is annoying and will definitely fool me at some point

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
From your homescreens you hit menu>settings>sounds>vibration and check (only in silent mode or always.....depending if you want vibration with your sounds when they are enabled). Then you leave settings and back to your homescreens. You then click your volume rocker down till it vibrates. In the notification bar it will show a squiggly phone and a bell with a line through it. And anytime in the future all you need to do is up/down the volume rocker.

Last edited:

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I guess it's just odd because with my captivate i assume now that "only when in silent mode" meant based on the individual app. That's why its odd that the same setting configuration isnt having the same results here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non