[How-To] Root the AT&T Galaxy S II

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
is it necessary to activate the phone before doing any of this? does activation status affect any parts of the rooting process? if yes, how about flashing? my S2 is new and not yet activated.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok so first off, no combination of buttons I try will get me into download mode, unless the phone is already plugged into USB. I tried plugging it in to get into download mode then unplugging it, opening odin and re-plugging it in. The problem then is that whenever i start odin i immediately receive a windows message saying "odin communicator has stopped working" and then odin shuts down. How can I get around this? Why can't i get my phone into download mode the normal way (or any way for that matter?)

tneil

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so first off, no combination of buttons I try will get me into download mode, unless the phone is already plugged into USB. I tried plugging it in to get into download mode then unplugging it, opening odin and re-plugging it in. The problem then is that whenever i start odin i immediately receive a windows message saying "odin communicator has stopped working" and then odin shuts down. How can I get around this? Why can't i get my phone into download mode the normal way (or any way for that matter?)

Did you power off your phone?

bdizzel1982

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The link for codeworkx CWM recovery takes you XDA but then the link there does not work. Does anyone have a working link were I can download the recovery?

sandoff

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Rooted with PhoneBricker ROM and everytime i go to send a txt message it crashes with an error message reading "LogsProvider has Stopped" and when i click ok the SMS app closes and the text sends. Whats the issue, its the only thing wrong with the ROM. Any ideas??

Duality84

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
tried rooting on a mac with this How to Root AT&T Galaxy S2 on Mac or Linux! [SGH-i777] | Galaxy S2 Root but all i get is "claiming interface failed"

anyone know whats wrong and how to fix?

i'd like to know a fix for this as well, the only computer i have is my macbook pro and i got the same problem you did when i tried to root using the same method...and sadly, i cannot come up with anything for a solution either, surely someone has rooted on a mac and knows a method that works

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
my brother wants to upgrade his galaxy s 2 to ics... he's decideding if he wants to do the custom rom based on the upgrade, or upgrade thru at&t.
A couple questions, im assuming doing the upgrade thru at&t will unroot the phone, can i still use this method to reroot it??, also if i put the rom on here and cwm on it, if he goes to return it will doing the at&t update make the phone completely stock, recovery and all??

Thanks in advanced, i run an lg optimus, but i'm assuming this phone is like mine where if i want to return my phone i can just upgrade my phone thru my wireless company and it will get rid of CWM and root.

Lawrence of a Labia

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
1. Yes, root will be lost if you upgrade.

2. Be sure you're working with the original AT&T Galaxy S II/I777 and not the Galaxy S II Skyrocket/I727. You'll brick your phone if you follow anything below this.

3. If you're on ICS, the method in the 1st post is outdated since it's only meant for Gingerbread based firmware.

-The preferred way is to follow this guide. The reason I say preferred is that it will not increment the flash counter (Details in the 1st paragraph). If you're using windows, the likely path to follow is: 2c -> 3a -> 4.

-if you're looking for an easy way to root and install a custom (Siyah) kernel that includes ClockworkMod Recovery, go here.

4. You'll have to follow this guide to return the phone to stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaredw444

shannonkish

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I am not wanting to install a custom rom, simply remove bloatware. What is the easiest way to do so? With my Galaxy S 4G, SimpleOneClick was all I needed.

My I777 has the latest push from ATT, 4.0.3.

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I am not wanting to install a custom rom, simply remove bloatware. What is the easiest way to do so? With my Galaxy S 4G, SimpleOneClick was all I needed.

My I777 has the latest push from ATT, 4.0.3.

Download titanium backup and delete unwanted apps thru that. Or download a file explore with su permissions and go to system/app folder and delete unwanted apps. Both very easy ways

Plays by prison rules

blb1980

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I have rooted but what I want to know is are there certain "better" keyboards this phone can have now that my phone is rooted? I read somewhere that with a rooted phone, you can have "better" keyboards. Thanks

Lawrence of a Labia

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I have rooted but what I want to know is are there certain "better" keyboards this phone can have now that my phone is rooted? I read somewhere that with a rooted phone, you can have "better" keyboards. Thanks

AFAIK, there is no keyboard that utilizes "root". All the "improved" keyboards can be found in the Play Store. The popular ones include Swype, Swiftkey, Slide IT, and Smart Keyboard.

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't rooted already, but still want to (since most of you will be off contract by now), I would suggest Framaroot. It doesn't require a PC and drivers and the like.

Download and install the app. When it asks you what exploit you want, SGH-I777 users should choose "Aragorn." There should be a success message and the phone needs to be restarted afterward. After the reboot, the phone will be rooted with SuperSU installed. The app can be uninstalled ? but it is fairly small and can be kept in case you want to unroot the phone (I haven't tried that yet.)

For me, it's been OK for the past three days. I installed CWM and TiBU and now have backups. The only glitch I've encountered is that the stock browser wouldn't download my PDFs. That was fixed by going into the advanced settings and swiching the default storage from memory card to device.

I hope this helps someone else who has been waiting two years to root their GSII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome