[How-To] Root the AT&T Galaxy S II

ObiGeorge

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I installed Rom Manger (after being rooted) and flashed CWM, to test if what people were saying about it screwin up stuff was true. It even had an option for the the specific AT&T model of the SGII. DOES NOT work now. Can't boot into clockwork, and can't download ROMs through Rom Manager. Easy to get back to where I was, but yeah, don't use Rom Manager......yet

gaveup

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm completely new to android and am coming from an iphone (which was jailbroken). The one thing I noticed so far about android is there really doesn't seem to be an introduction to rooting/using it correctly. I understand for each phone it is different, which I get, but is there anything like that here?

I rooted my phone using the first post here, and it seems people are having problems with it. So I asked why the other method posted was better, but not much of an answer was given. So I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer that will help me (and other new people) get a much better grasp on this whole process.

1. What does each specific program used do? Odin, superoneclick, helm..whichever. What primary function does each one use?

2. What is the process used? As in, is there a specific path that must be followed each time you flash a new rom or whichever.

3. What methods to backup your downloaded apps are there? Just in case you need to go back to stock (and really, how do you go about doing that).

4. How do you get rid of the yellow exclamation mark on bootup? I bought a USB jig, but not finding much information on how it is used.

I know to some these questions may seem a little elementary, but it seems these answers are the most difficult for me to find. I've read a lot on XDA, but realistically, those guys know way more about this and expect everyone else to know just as much.

Any answers would be awesome!

gaveup

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Just an update:

I flashed the stock rooted tar listed on page 2, and my phone runs MUCH faster. On the first one the best quadrant score I could get was 2900, now I am back at 3300.

Reactions: Foureyedave

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
For some reason I can't even get to download mode...anyone? I never had this problem with my old Galaxy....

Volume down and Power Button does NOT work for me

Last edited:

ObiGeorge

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
For some reason I can't even get to download mode...anyone? I never had this problem with my old Galaxy....

Volume down and Power Button does NOT work for me

Hold the volume down and just press the power. If you hold the power button, it will just boot. Also, do it while connected to USB.

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am completely new to the Android System and to Rooting. Is it safe for me to do this yet or are there still glitches? I see that there are two different ways to root that have been posted on here. Which one is better?

Sorry...I'm a newb

FYI: Just ran Quadrant on my completely stock s2 and got a score of 3260

Last edited:

gaveup

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I am completely new to the Android System and to Rooting. Is it safe for me to do this yet or are there still glitches? I see that there are two different ways to root that have been posted on here. Which one is better?

Sorry...I'm a newb

FYI: Just ran Quadrant on my completely stock s2 and got a score of 3260

From what I can see, using the 7z file from the second link worked better for me. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the process for a new user should go like this:

1. Install kires drivers.
2. Download and install Odin
3. Boot phone into download mode
4. Once Odin recognizes the phone select the .tar located in the 7z file listed earlier in the thread (select under PDA). Click start and let it work.
5. Once finished your phone will reboot and you should be good to go.

The only thing I can say I am unsure of, is if you have to use SuperOneClick afterwards to root the device. I don't think you need to, but I already was rooted after following the first set of instructions.

I hope this helps, and I really hope someone will correct me if I am wrong on any of this. This is just what I gathered from messing around with it myself.

Reactions: iskor12

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
From what I can see, using the 7z file from the second link worked better for me. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the process for a new user should go like this:

1. Install kires drivers.
2. Download and install Odin
3. Boot phone into download mode
4. Once Odin recognizes the phone select the .tar located in the 7z file listed earlier in the thread (select under PDA). Click start and let it work.
5. Once finished your phone will reboot and you should be good to go.

The only thing I can say I am unsure of, is if you have to use SuperOneClick afterwards to root the device. I don't think you need to, but I already was rooted after following the first set of instructions.

I hope this helps, and I really hope someone will correct me if I am wrong on any of this. This is just what I gathered from messing around with it myself.

I have been having a ton or trouble but I think it could be ROM Manager related. So, that is uninstalled now. I cleared cache and returned to factory and now I am enjoying normal performance again.
I can successfully Odin the SGH-I777_ClockworkMOd-Recovery_5.0.2.3 onto my phone. It is everything after that that has been giving me problems.
SuperOneClick, no matter what version I have, does not seem to do its job. I need to find a way to finish the job without SuperOneClick. At this point, when I attempt to flash using the latest CM7, I get verification errors and it aborts (even if I turn off signature verification), which leads me to believe I am only partially rooted. I can run Titanium Backup just fine, but I cannot flash a new ROM.
Anyone know where I can find part two of rooting (the part after Odin) that does not involve SuperOneClick?

EvoMperor

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
Just had a couple of questions being as I'm a newb coming to android from the ios platform :) Loving the phone btw and I could never imagine going back.
I recently followed the instructions (original post) here to root my phone and followed it to a "T", it worked perfectly. my only questions are:
1. It was very easy to find well written step by step instructions on how to root the sgs2 but I'm having trouble understanding the vague information on un-rooting the device and bringing it all the way back to stock. Can someone please help me step by step in doing this or send me a link if it's located anywhere? I'd assume following the step by step instructions in reverse but I'm very weary of doing something incorrectly and bricking my phone. This is definitely for my own reference purposes as I love having my phone rooted and I will continue to keep it that way. I just want to know how and I probably will attempt unrooting it just for my own assurance that I can in fact do it.
2. If I leave my phone rooted will it still be able to recieve the ICS update when it comes out without any problems or will I have to revert back to stock?
3. After rooting, what should I do and what tools are a must have? I've backed everything up via titanium backup and want to know what most are doing i.e. overclocking, is cm7 an option or should I hold off?
4. How do you get into recovery mode with the att sgs2. I wanted to familiarize myself with the CWM but I can figure out how to boot into it?
thanks for the help in advance,
Regards.

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
Just had a couple of questions being as I'm a newb coming to android from the ios platform :) Loving the phone btw and I could never imagine going back.
I recently followed the instructions (original post) here to root my phone and followed it to a "T", it worked perfectly. my only questions are:
1. It was very easy to find well written step by step instructions on how to root the sgs2 but I'm having trouble understanding the vague information on un-rooting the device and bringing it all the way back to stock. Can someone please help me step by step in doing this or send me a link if it's located anywhere? I'd assume following the step by step instructions in reverse but I'm very weary of doing something incorrectly and bricking my phone. This is definitely for my own reference purposes as I love having my phone rooted and I will continue to keep it that way. I just want to know how and I probably will attempt unrooting it just for my own assurance that I can in fact do it.
2. If I leave my phone rooted will it still be able to recieve the ICS update when it comes out without any problems or will I have to revert back to stock?
3. After rooting, what should I do and what tools are a must have? I've backed everything up via titanium backup and want to know what most are doing i.e. overclocking, is cm7 an option or should I hold off?
4. How do you get into recovery mode with the att sgs2. I wanted to familiarize myself with the CWM but I can figure out how to boot into it?
thanks for the help in advance,
Regards.

I too would like to know this answer.

jaypesos

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
i get threw odin but when i try to use superoneclick its gets stuck on waiting for device also i realize when i plug my phone into my comp it doesnt charge or anyhing i have usb debugin on 2 please help am getting pissed trying to fingure this out thank u

EvoMperor

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i get threw odin but when i try to use superoneclick its gets stuck on waiting for device also i realize when i plug my phone into my comp it doesnt charge or anyhing i have usb debugin on 2 please help am getting pissed trying to fingure this out thank u
Have you attempted to remove and replug the usb connection? If I remember correctly I think superone froze up on me once on "waiting for device", I simply unplug/replugged the chord and restarted superone click after waiting a minute or so, started the process again and it worked like a charm (had to unplug/replug again when it got to step 5/6?) Hope this helps.

Speedy350z

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
At one point I had a clockwork mod app that made it easy to boot into clockwork and recovery right from the ap. But then I realized I loaded I9100 firmware. I finally got back to stock flashed everything according to the first post but now dont have the ap. I can boot into CM when phone was off but that ap made it pretty easy. Did I do something wrong or is it not available for att version?

EvoMperor

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
At one point I had a clockwork mod app that made it easy to boot into clockwork and recovery right from the ap. But then I realized I loaded I9100 firmware. I finally got back to stock flashed everything according to the first post but now dont have the ap. I can boot into CM when phone was off but that ap made it pretty easy. Did I do something wrong or is it not available for att version?
I'm a little confused at what youre asking here. How did you find out you loaded i9100 firmware? If you flashed the stock rom then you won't have cwm only stock recovery. If you want cwm you'll have to flash a custom rom like the one linked in the first post which includes it.

Speedy350z

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I started out following the instructions to root and flash CWM in XDA I9100 forums not realizing the ATT sg2 is different. I started realizing when I had no button support for back and search. When I installed with the similar process as first post here I had an ap shortcut for CWM (not rom manager) made it easy to boot to recovery or flash roms.
I figured out what I did wrong and got back to stock and used the files here rooted correctly, and loaded cwm but now I dont have the app shortcut anymore.
I did load UnNamed rom for now and like how power down options let you boot recovery. Better than nothing I hate trying to hold the buttons correctly from power off, usually takes me three or four tries.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc