[How-To] Root the AT&T Galaxy S II

pguillory08

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
my phone is bricked and not rebooting. should i try re-doing this? i noticed the first guy said make sure only auto reboot is checked and that could be it. just wanna know. this is my 3rd attempt from different sites

kenmitch

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
my phone is bricked and not rebooting. should i try re-doing this? i noticed the first guy said make sure only auto reboot is checked and that could be it. just wanna know. this is my 3rd attempt from different sites

Bricked as in....What's on the screen? Blank? Message?

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I have done this proc several times and it works. exactly what is happening? the two options on the right should be checked...auto reboot and f reset time...

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I can't boot into download mode. I have read several different methods to do that for this phone, (Volume up + volume down while plugging in USB, Volume down plus power button while plugging in USB, or while not plugging in USB) nothing works. any of those that involves the power button, just turns the phone on. the volume up + volume down one just does nothing.

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I can't boot into download mode. I have read several different methods to do that for this phone, (Volume up + volume down while plugging in USB, Volume down plus power button while plugging in USB, or while not plugging in USB) nothing works. any of those that involves the power button, just turns the phone on. the volume up + volume down one just does nothing.
It sounds like you have followed the below instructions..... exactly? These are the instructions I used when I did the stock ROM with root.

Enter Download Mode
a. Power the phone off.
b. Plug the usb cable into the computer (not the phone)
c. Hold both sides of the volume rocker down (vol up + vol down)
d. While holding those buttons down, insert the usb cable into your phone.
It may take a second or two for the screen to display with a warning. Press the Volume UP key to download a custom ROM.

nette614

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I am new to android and am trying to root my phone. Once I start Odin...nothing appears to happen. The phone does not reboot...it just stays at this point for a while.

How long should this step take?
Should I turn off unbugging on my phone?

Thanks

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I am new to android and am trying to root my phone. Once I start Odin...nothing appears to happen. The phone does not reboot...it just stays at this point for a while.
How long should this step take?
Should I turn off unbugging on my phone?
Thanks
Did you install the Samsung USB drivers or Kies (which will install the USB drivers) first? Or do you get the green light in Odin and just don't get a reboot?

nykman

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Will this work for the Skyrocket as well?

I haven't found a real definitive answer on this, and the instructions over on the Skyrocket forums are a little sketchy.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I just re-rooted mine last night to CM7 with complete success.
The trick to a successful root was using the SGH-I777 specific files:
This link, at cyanogenmod.com works, but it needs to be modified for the AT&T model.
For the recovery, use SGH-I777_ClockworkMod-Recovery_5.0.2.3
For the CM7 image, use update-cm-7.1.0-Galaxy2ATT-signed. The first time I ran the image install, it went seemingly too fast so I ran it a second time, immediately after the first and it took longer and looked more, "normal". So, you may need to run the CM7 install twice in a row too.

For example, Installing the ClockworkMod Recovery, download the SGH-I777_ClockworkMod-Recovery_5.0.2.3 instead of the 4.0.1.4 as the page recommends. The SGH-I777 specific recovery contains the same "zImage" referenced in the Cyanogen steps, so that is good.
Don't forget the optional Google Apps too or you might not have all the standard apps.

One more exception, I found in my case, was to copy the new CM7 image zip file to your INTERNAL SDHC memory, not your inserted SDHC card. For some reason, and this might be my card and not simply everyone's, it would not recognize my external SDHC. So, it worked to put the image on the internal and simply guide the recovery to it instead.

Anyway, hope this helps those out there having trouble!

Last edited:

DroidBehavior

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
this topic really needs to be updated, its an outdated method and doesnt even mention the flash increment

i rooted using this method only to find out its the worst method on xda forum, i re rooted and am fine but

ill explain. every time you flash something on an s2, it will have an internal flash counter that increases by 1, right now im at 1 because i rooted and flashed the CUSTOM cwm kernal. it only counts custom kernals unless you root a certain way

the only way to reset the count is to buy a usb jig

if you flash using a newer method (entropys return to stock with root method) and than install cwm by using android terminal you will not increment the flash counter

ALSO!

every one who flashes using this threads method will have a yellow warning triangle every boot up and an i9100 or so message, this is becuz u flashed a custom kernal

when i boot up it merely says galaxy s2 with no warning !

DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER

it is not stable on s2 and it ruined my cwm and every one on xda agrees, the developers strongly suggest you avoid it and just stick with the cwm recovery to install roms unless you want to pay for odin rom manager

dingbat005

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So to confirm - if i did it this way - which you are the only person on these forums to mention is the WRONG way but which i am now reading on XDA more is an issue - the only way to reset my count to 0 with a jig? This is pretty disappointing to have gotten (at least partially) faulty info off these forums on something so major :(

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
This method works fine. It does leave one with a yellow exclamation though. I've flashed numerous ROMs after this method just fine. There may be better, newer methods out there now, but this still works.
I also agree about ROM Manager. It bums me out too because I used it a ton on my Sprint HTC phone. There aren't any ROMs for use on it, with this phone, anyway, aside from CM7.
Bottom line with rooting, no matter what method you choose, is that you need to feel comfortable with your chosen method. So choose wisely, then jump in with both feet. It's like the high dive. Once you jump, it's not so scary after that...

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk.

Khaot1c

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Seems i've stumbled into another rabbit hole.
I'm still on a fact finding mission, trying to get the facts and How To straight before I root this thing.

Maybe I'm better off waiting until ICS goes live?! Then again, a Q1 2012 announcement really means Q3 when its all said and done....

Last edited:

mclifford82

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind, a post from a few pages ago answered it. You hold vol up and down then insert the USB cable to get to the download screen with the warning. Holding vol up / down and the power button goes into android system recovery. The initial post in this thread really should be updated.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21