Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [How-To] Root the AT&T Galaxy S II

Things you'll need:
    Drivers (click me) install through Kies
    Odin (click me)
    codeworkx CWM recovery (click me)
    SuperOneClick (click me)

Install the drivers using Kies. Yes Kies sucks, but what can you do.

Turn your phone off
    Boot into download mode (volume down + power)
    Accept warning by pressing volume up
    Start Odin
    Use the PDA entry in Odin, choose the recovery you downloaded above
    Connect your phone to your computer
    Press the start button in Odin

When finished, use SuperOneClick to root the device. You now have Clockwork recovery, and a rooted, stock ROM.

Thanks and credit to the original authors of the tools -- follow the links
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 5:
    Simba501, matusov and rahimkhoja like this.

Default Re: [How-To] Root the AT&T Galaxy S II

Make sure you only have auto-reboot selected on the left. The other options have turned phones in to bricks.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Thanks, worked on the first go

Ok. this is my first root experience.

Just finished. Pretty easy.

LOL still not really sure about what I can do now that I am rooted, but it will require more research.

I am getting the little yellow triangle on start up that it seems a bunch of others are getting. From what I have read, it doesn't matter much. I hope that's the case. At any rate, I just ordered the USB jig tool on ebay.
    Last edited by gaveup; 10-04-2011 at 10:01 PM.

this might be a silly question.
    Why do we root this phone?
    What's the advantage and disadvantage?
    woodmanone likes this.

Well now... that didn't take long. Kinda wish I hadn't spent much time setting up my homescreens. I knew I would root when it was available, but many 2 days after release.... NICE .

So, I've never actually rooted android before. I'm not to worried about doing it, but rather what I am interested in is CM7. Once I perform the root, how do I put on CM7? Also, has anyone else done it? I'm mainly looking for better battery life, cause so far there really is nothing about this phone that screams root me. But I understand that going to CM7 I can get a lot longer battery life. Is that true?

And since the phone seems to be working okay... should I jsut wait for an ICS rom since it's likely just around the corner?

ROM
    CM7 Nightly

Once you root the phone download "Rom Manager" from the Market. Through there you should be able to download and install CM7.

ROM
    Viper4G

Quote Originally Posted by sqa4life View Post
    this might be a silly question.
    Why do we root this phone?
    What's the advantage and disadvantage?
    Google

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

Make sure "USB Debugging" is turned on in your phone, otherwise SuperOneClick will not continue past, "Waiting for phone":
    Settings --> Applications --> Development

Also, after Odin is complete, it will reboot your phone.

Now, I am waiting on, "Rooting device... -Step #6". I don't think this worked...
    I might retry SOC...
    EDIT: Seems that a quick removal and re-insert of the USB cable when it gets to the "stuck point" on step #6 allows it to continue and root.
    Last edited by Mr.Gadget; 10-05-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: how to continue past step #6
    Thanked by:
    ObiGeorge likes this.

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

Ok, loaded ROM Manager from the Market.
    It showed no recovery on my phone so I had it install v5.0.2.3 (Samsung Galaxy S2) which it said it successfully did and prompted me to allow SU, which I did.
    I attempted to "Backup current ROM" and that is where the trouble started.
    I am at the CWM based Recovery screen with options to reboot system, wipe, etc... but each and every option I choose to use responds with an little Android dude and an exclamation point.

There is text that reads: CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.3
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:failed to verify whole-file signature
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.

Pulled battery and restarted.
    Now doing the system backup...
    Hum.... Not comfortable at this point. I have successfully rooted every Android I've had and this one is problematic.... So far....

EDIT: Seems to have booted back to my phone OK. Suggestions on where I am off?? Now my recovery shows 4.5.0.1 in ROM Manager
    Last edited by Mr.Gadget; 10-05-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: info
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
    Ok, loaded ROM Manager from the Market.
    It showed no recovery on my phone so I had it install v5.0.2.3 (Samsung Galaxy S2) which it said it successfully did and prompted me to allow SU, which I did.
    I attempted to "Backup current ROM" and that is where the trouble started.
    I am at the CWM based Recovery screen with options to reboot system, wipe, etc... but each and every option I choose to use responds with an little Android dude and an exclamation point.

There is text that reads: CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.3
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:failed to verify whole-file signature
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.

Pulled battery and restarted.
    Now doing the system backup...
    Hum.... Not comfortable at this point. I have successfully rooted every Android I've had and this one is problematic.... So far....

EDIT: Seems to have booted back to my phone OK. Suggestions on where I am off?? Now my recovery shows 4.5.0.1 in ROM Manager
    Never tried backing up a stock ROM I doubt it's possible

Sent From My AT&T SGS2
    Android Devices:
    -Phone: AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II
    -Tablet: Acer Iconia A500
    -Other: Logitech Revue

Stsrting to think I should have waited to root!

So forgive my ignorance here but how does one roll back to a secure kernel outside of running the stock odin app to reflash the device back to stock 100%? Is there a way I am missing to backup the secure kernel before we start the root process?

I rooted using the method described in this post for unbricking a phone: [Heimdall][Odin][Stock+Root]UCKH7 Stock kernel, rooted system, modem (aka Unbrick) - xda-developers

There's a package linked in the first post you can download that has a stock kernel and a stock filesystem with root added. Run Odin to install that package and the result is a phone that's stock with root.
    Mr.Gadget likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
    I rooted using the method described in this post for unbricking a phone: [Heimdall][Odin][Stock+Root]UCKH7 Stock kernel, rooted system, modem (aka Unbrick) - xda-developers

There's a package linked in the first post you can download that has a stock kernel and a stock filesystem with root added. Run Odin to install that package and the result is a phone that's stock with root.
    This is the way to do it.

Why is this way better than the original?

So I rooted but I think I used the wrong tar file i might have used the one for the international version. My search button no longer works at all, in any application. Is there a way to fix this without loosing my root access?

Quote Originally Posted by riekls View Post
    So I rooted but I think I used the wrong tar file i might have used the one for the international version. My search button no longer works at all, in any application. Is there a way to fix this without loosing my root access?
    This may help you.

[Heimdall][Odin][Stock+Root]UCKH7 Stock kernel, rooted system, modem (aka Unbrick) - xda-developers

Because it works correctly
    Thanked by:

Don't use Rom manager! From what I've read/been told it has been causing problems on our phones. If you need CWM you need to flash that kernel in the OP. If you just want root use the other link.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM + Nightlies / Touchwiz

Yeah, I installed Rom Manger (after being rooted) and flashed CWM, to test if what people were saying about it screwin up stuff was true. It even had an option for the the specific AT&T model of the SGII. DOES NOT work now. Can't boot into clockwork, and can't download ROMs through Rom Manager. Easy to get back to where I was, but yeah, don't use Rom Manager......yet

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to android and am coming from an iphone (which was jailbroken). The one thing I noticed so far about android is there really doesn't seem to be an introduction to rooting/using it correctly. I understand for each phone it is different, which I get, but is there anything like that here?

I rooted my phone using the first post here, and it seems people are having problems with it. So I asked why the other method posted was better, but not much of an answer was given. So I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer that will help me (and other new people) get a much better grasp on this whole process.

1. What does each specific program used do? Odin, superoneclick, helm..whichever. What primary function does each one use?

2. What is the process used? As in, is there a specific path that must be followed each time you flash a new rom or whichever.

3. What methods to backup your downloaded apps are there? Just in case you need to go back to stock (and really, how do you go about doing that).

4. How do you get rid of the yellow exclamation mark on bootup? I bought a USB jig, but not finding much information on how it is used.

I know to some these questions may seem a little elementary, but it seems these answers are the most difficult for me to find. I've read a lot on XDA, but realistically, those guys know way more about this and expect everyone else to know just as much.

Any answers would be awesome!
    Leopatra likes this.

Just an update:

I flashed the stock rooted tar listed on page 2, and my phone runs MUCH faster. On the first one the best quadrant score I could get was 2900, now I am back at 3300.
    Thanked by:
    Droids!

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

For some reason I can't even get to download mode...anyone? I never had this problem with my old Galaxy....

Volume down and Power Button does NOT work for me
    Last edited by jflexe99; 10-10-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Volume down and volume up and plug in USB while holding the two its what I did I hope that helped
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast