AP Mobile constantly using data!!

mikebutler83

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I use My Data Manager to see how much data I use because I don't have unlimited data and I have noticed that AP Mobile is constantly using data. I don't have a widget for it nor do i use it. I have tried to force close it, but it's constantly running. Anyone know of a way to stop this app?

stixho

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey I had(have) the same problem the only way I have so far been able to get around it was by turning off my data packet.

This stops all data from sending or receiving, and so far I have not noticed AP Mobile, but once you connect through WiFi or turn the data packet back on AP Mobile, Social Hub, and Email all start jumping on the Team Edward wagon! LOL

A root probably would solve the problem without the data packet deal, but I'm holding out for a few more weeks before I root.

P.S.
To get to the screen to deselect the data packet: Menu--Settings--Wireless and Network---Mobile Networks--- Use packet data!
There's most likely an app that well do all that for you, but that was how I got to it.

Hope that helps.... :)

mikebutler83

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I ended up taking it back to ATT and they told me it was an Android issue not an ATT issue(rep was an iphone user). I told her that theres a bug in the software and that I wanted to return it. she told me that wasn't a good enough reason to return it. I got her manager involved.

I tried everything to get it to stop syncing. Nothing worked short of turning off packet data, but that disables all data. I know i could root and stop it but what about the novice android users? That app was using about 40 to 50MB a day and it would kill someone without unlimited data.

I will wait on the Nexus.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
same here....used over 100mb from just that widget. Weird that it still refresh when i set to no auto refresh. i usually have to remove the widget when im at work since we do not have wifi there.

buirus

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
you can root your phone then use a Titanium Backup to "freeze"/disable this and other apps. The process is entirely reversible in case you want to reactivate later.

Emcee

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
you can root your phone then use a Titanium Backup to "freeze"/disable this and other apps. The process is entirely reversible in case you want to reactivate later.

I don't see it in the list of apps. What's it called in there?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know more about the methodology you guys are using to make sure that it's the AP widget (or app or whatever) using the data.

Screenshots would be awesome, too. I'm stock, not rooted, and don't use the widget. I don't see my data usage being as high as you guys. Maybe because the app only uses data when the widget is active?

Sent from my SGS II

mikebutler83

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

True you can root and I was minutes from rooting, but then I thought about the novice users. They will be surprised to find out that they are going over their data limit because of a rogue app.

JimmyDW2

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know more about the methodology you guys are using to make sure that it's the AP widget (or app or whatever) using the data.

Screenshots would be awesome, too. I'm stock, not rooted, and don't use the widget. I don't see my data usage being as high as you guys. Maybe because the app only uses data when the widget is active?

Sent from my SGS II

You can see the data usage breakdown with a program called My Data Manager in the market, have no idea how accurate it is tho. I don't use the widget either but this program is showing it as a heavy user.

jemcmichael

May 13, 2011
Visit site
My data manager widget is showing me that I've used 26 mb of data from AP Mobile since October 6 when my billing period began. I'd be super pissed if I went over my 2 GB cap due to AP Mobile.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
After reading this thread I installed Traffic Monitor. I did not see APM in the initial list after testing a few apps so I loaded the widget and did a manual refresh. I have both options in the widget set to "none". That refresh was only 300k. I will keep tabs on it over the next few days.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can see the data usage breakdown with a program called My Data Manager in the market, have no idea how accurate it is tho. I don't use the widget either but this program is showing it as a heavy user.

I'm going to track it for the next day or so.

Sent from my SGS II

mikebutler83

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had unlimited data, but it was a dealbreaker for me. I sync Facebook, Twitter, Google +, Gmail, Gtalk all day on my Captivate running MIUI and I use about 13MB a day. I was tripling that with the SGS2. That 40-50MB a day can really add up.
The Rep told be it was a SamSung issue not an ATT issue. I say its both.

rdt220

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
It looks like there may be some kind of bug with the program. Even if you have it set to refresh every 3 hours it will still refresh nearly every time you swipe through your home screens and stop on the AP widget. Here's a possible fix without rooting that I found from another website:

1. Add the widget and set the refresh interval to 3 hours, then remove the widget.
2. Re-add widget and set refresh to 'none,' then remove it again.

So far I have not seen anymore data consumption, but it looks like this process will need to be done after each restart because the settings don't seem to hold. I'll check back in and provide an update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude