E-mail options

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
So, my Galaxy SII will arrive at some point later today, and I'm doing some more in-depth research so that I can get get the phone up and running ASAP upon arrival. I've had a BB 9700 for the past two years, and am excited to move on up (especially after playing with my wife's iPhone 4 for the past year). Sorry in advance for the noobish nature...

Can someone do a quick compare/contrast between the stock TW4.0 e-mail and the Gmail app? Do most Android users opt for the built in e-mail or do they opt for the Gmail app? Do both options do true push e-mail like the BB does? If I opt for the Gmail app, will the TW4.0 contacts and calendar still sync with my Gmail contacts and calendar?

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Your better off playing with both yourself.
Running the Gmail app has nothing to do with contacts or anything. I noticed on my other phones the Gmail app doesnt update the emails in the gmail site from a computer all the time. LIke if you delete from phone it is still on the site for a bit till it deletes. That kind of annoyed me.
I havent used the stock app on this phone yet though. I like the flags in gmail so I normally use that.

Built in apps, usually arent push though. HTC 's lowest setting was every 5 mins , but could set a schedule to not recieve during off peak hours so you arent woken up at night from spam and such

Both have down points and fine points

myoo2182

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
When I was on my iphone4 I sync'd my mail using the stock app and exchange for Gmail. On my SGSII I just use the stock app, it seems to work very well. I get emails on time and it feels natural to use that interface.

Dimitrie

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got the gs2. Can someone tell me how to get the gmail icon to display the # of messages unread ...? The number with the little circle is not showing.

Thanks

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Killer for me was no pinch-to-zoom in the gmail app. And as far as I'm concerned, there was no way to delete things in your trash folder either.

The pinch-to-zoom was it for me.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I have everything set-up.

I'm thinking of using the Gmail app unless someone can tell me otherwise regarding the following two points:

1) Is there any way to get conversation view in the GSII e-mail?

2) Is there any way to get true push e-mail? It looks like I can only refresh every 5 minutes at most, whereas as the Gmail app pushes e-mail instantly.

If I can't do anything about these two issues, then, how do I delete my Gmail account from the stock e-mail client?

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Use the gmail app. U can delete the other account withing the sync settings.

-------

There is no email counter for the gmail app icon. There was an app for that for older versions of gmail but that has not worked for a while.