An Open Letter To Samsung...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Dear Samsung,

I was one of the many people who bought Galaxy S series phones (the Fascinate specifically), ignoring my better judgement about your past history with OS updates on your phones; and accepted it as true when you told tech journalists about your intentions to upgrade these phones that launched on an old OS to a current one within a reasonable period of time.

We all know that for one reason or another you failed to deliver on your promise.

The GS series phones launched last summer and early fall on Android 2.1 (Eclair), and you promised to upgrade these devices to 2.2 Froyo within a reasonable amount of time. The first US Galaxy S phones got their official updates in January, almost a full six months after the phone launched. This is NOT a reasonable amount of time. Then to add insult to injury the upgrade to the Fascinate was extremely buggy, many of us had to do factory data resets before or after the upgrade to get the phone to work, and many were never able to get their phones to work the same way again. Subsequent updates made it even worse and many devices were swapped out as warranty replacements with used refurbished phones. I never had to get mine replaced but it still upsets me to see this happen.

I swore I would never buy another Samsung phone again and have warned many people to avoid them in the time since then.

Today I did something I said I would never do, I bought a new Samsung phone, specifically the Galaxy S II on AT&T. I tried to resist, but the extensive coverage that the device has gotten in the media, particularly in comparison to the new iPhone 4G S, was hard to ignore. The only other devices on the market that can match it's power seem to be made by Motorola (Droid Bionic) and only LG Andrpid phones seem to have as good of screens, but the specs of the phones launched on carriers I can use (VZW and AT&T) are mediocre at best.

Reluctantly, Samsung, I have decided to give you another chance. The GS2 comes with Gingerbread, the most current version of Android (and one of the newest builds), so I have hope that maybe just maybe you have learned your lesson and the GS2 series phones will not fall prey to a lack of upgrades that my poor Fascinate did.

There is an old saying: fool me once shame on you (you fooled all of us last year with the original GS phones), fool me twice shame on me (this is your chance to redeem yourself, you need to upgrade this and other Galaxy S phones to Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) within three months or less of it being launched - HINT: Sooner is better. That is the extend of what is considered a reasonable time-frame in the fast moving field of mobile communications.)

If this doesn't happen, you WON'T get a chance to fool me a third time.

Sincerely

A Reluctant Second Time Samsing Phone Customer

PS And Samsung, about updating my Fascinate to Gingerbread.....

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S was launched June 2010.
Got Froyo Sep 2010
Got GB April 2011

I'm talking US Android phones Jerry (I'll clarify my post), and the Fascinate got Froyo in February and as recently as a check just now does NOT have Gingerbread officially -- non-rooted and un-modded phone, so if it were available I would be able to get it. I dont recall seeing anything about the Captivate or any other US GS phones getting Gingerbread yet.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm talking US Android phones Jerry (I'll clarify my post), and the Fascinate got Froyo in February and as recently as a check just now does NOT have Gingerbread officially -- non-rooted and un-modded phone, so if it were available I would be able to get it. I dont recall seeing anything about the Captivate or any other US GS phones getting Gingerbread yet.

Exactly. The blame has to be shared.

Note that this doesn't mean Samsung is off the hook in any way, shape or form -- it means the US carriers are just as bad as Samsung. Equally bad, and they both need to hear the complaints :)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
and the carrier cant release an update the OEM doesn't send them. Yes the blame needs to be shared but Verizon and AT&T can't test and release something they either don't have or don't have a stable version of.

The Fascinate Froyo was NOT ready for prime time which tells me it was rushed to get it out and as you pointed out the original GS got the update months before, and you have to assume a significant amount of the code was shared so I don't get what the holdup was. I sincerely hope the same mistakes are not made on the GS2 and Straosphere (VZW's Epic copy that came out yesterday)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am with you 100% VZWRocks! Former Captivate owner who picked up the sgsII on launch day. I will go and look at the Atrix 2 tomorrow to see if that is a possible backup to this phone. I know the Atrix has had 4 or so updates on AT&T so at least Moto is updating phones on AT&T.

Part of me feels like if you are not happy with the SGSII exactly as is or do not want to flash ROMs, you should probably not get it. I hope I am wrong, but just a feeling. Samsung is so busy launching new models that it does not support their inline products. One more chance with me.

I still have a few weeks to return this SGSII but aside from a few random freezes and reboots, it has works pretty well. Still wondering when the lock screen will get fixed because I do use a PIN but do not want to keep it set immediate lock indefinitely.

Well made points in your letter!

ofcjscott

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
My opinion, you knew what firmware was on the phone when you bought it. If you're not happy with it, take it back or root & flash. If you stick to your word you'll be getting rid of the best phone ever released in 3 months cuz you're dreaming if you think the SGSII will get ICS within that time frame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGSII using Tapatalk.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
My opinion, you knew what firmware was on the phone when you bought it. If you're not happy with it, take it back or root & flash. If you stick to your word you'll be getting rid of the best phone ever released in 3 months cuz you're dreaming if you think the SGSII will get ICS within that time frame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGSII using Tapatalk.

I never actually get rid of my phones I change often and have every old contract phone I have ever had. I still have my Fascinate for example. I simply retire them to a box of old phones and once in a while take one out and mess with it over WiFi.

"My Word" in this case is simply that I will never again buy a Samsung phone if they screw us over again (outside of a Nexus device of course).

Also The Evo 4G, Moto Droid, and Droid Incredible all got Froyo upgrades right around 6 weeks after the Froyo code was made available to the AOSP, so it IS possible if it is a high enough priority for the carrier and OEM, and respectfully I think I am being generous with the 3 months figure.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Part of me feels like if you are not happy with the SGSII exactly as is or do not want to flash ROMs, you should probably not get it. I hope I am wrong, but just a feeling. Samsung is so busy launching new models that it does not support their inline products. One more chance with me. !

I did a considerable amount of research before buying this phone but yes I have 30 days should I change my mind. Several other phones have caught my eye and if they were made by anyone other than Samsung I probably would have bought them but no updates thing killed it for me. This was the one device to get this year on AT&T and I am with some reluctance giving them a second chance.

!
Well made points in your letter!

Thanks!

bikedogrun

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I did a considerable amount of research before buying this phone but yes I have 30 days should I change my mind. Several other phones have caught my eye and if they were made by anyone other than Samsung I probably would have bought them but no updates thing killed it for me. This was the one device to get this year on AT&T and I am with some reluctance giving them a second chance.
You must have read my mind ... :D

I; too, was quite leery of Samsung. All of the reasons you mention but more the lack of quality and lack of updates to fix what is clearly broken (in addition to very sloooow updates). I go all the way back to 2 yrs ago with the Samsung Moment on Sprint. The phone would just drop into airplane mode and couldn't be switched out of it short of a battery pull. Samsung never did issue an update or a fix. Then the Captivate with its broken GPS (not for everyone, but many suffered from this). It was also never really fixed and the GB update is still M.I.A

OK. So I keep reading just awesome reviews about the Galaxy SII. Many from folks I respect a great deal so "against my better judgement" I break down and buy an unlocked international version (I9100) of the GSII. That was a week ago and (can you guess what I'm going to say :) ) ... this phone is freakin' awesome!

It is simply all of the things that Samsung has never before shown us ... rock solid, super stable. Everyone not only works but works brilliantly! I am so blown away by this phone... and even more blown away that it is really from Samsung.

Nuff said... just get it! I was so totally prepared to be bummed out (again) by a Samsung product but as myriad other writers/reviewers have said - this one is a keeper!

/BD :cool:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It is simply all of the things that Samsung has never before shown us ... rock solid, super stable. Everyone not only works but works brilliantly! I am so blown away by this phone... and even more blown away that it is really from Samsung.

Nuff said... just get it! I was so totally prepared to be bummed out (again) by a Samsung product but as myriad other writers/reviewers have said - this one is a keeper!

Now you're reading MY mind lol... we have a Droid Charge as a demo phone at work but the GS2 completely blows it out of the water with speed (the device not the network connection as we are not in an LTE area) and the screen.