HSPA vs HSPDA vs UMTS

dirtbikerr450

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Could someone tell me the diffrence between the 3 diffrent networks. which one is faster
by the way are any of them HSPA+ or AT&T's "4G" network
AT&T said i was in a "4G" area but i don't know

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
when i check the mobile network type in the settings menu it never says i have HSPA+
so am i not getting "4G"

Strictly speaking no you aren't, but then strictly speaking no matter what the box says this is not REALLY a 4G phone (AT&T didn't have any yet the last I checked, just a couple data cards and a hotspot).

HSPA is AT&T's 3G network. HSPA + (which is really a just a firmware update to existing equipment) to allow for more speed, is what AT&T likes to call 4G or "first wave 4G" as the AT&T rep explained it to us which; is really just a place holder to buy them time to deploy the "second wave" or real 4G which is LTE (they launched that in 5 cities a couple weeks ago but wont start widespread deployment till next year).

Basically last year Sprint and Verizon went on a major media blitz promoting their respective 4G networks (Wimax and LTE respectively) and T-Mobile USA saw that and said "oh crap, we're years behind that so let's call our newest network HSPA+ 4G" They lobed the ITU to let them do it, most likely some money changed hands under the table and the definition of 4G was changed to allow HSPA+ along with the previously classified LTE and WiMax. AT&T saw what they were doing, that they were getting away with it, and decided to follow suit. T-Mobile USA then promptly put their own LTE expansion plans on hold (pending the outcome of AT&T's acquisition of them no doubt).

Want further proof that HSPA+ isn't 4G? Ask any international wireless carrier: Other than AT&T and T-Mobile USA, NO other carrier deploying or who plans to deploy LTE has referred to it a 4G.