2GB Data Plan...Ummmm Where is all my data going!?

Curado

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
So I just upgraded to the SGS2 with ATT and got a 2gb Data plan. Phone is awesome, yay, yada yada yada. My billing renewal is the 14th of every month. I do hardly any downloading, pandora, etc... I do browse a bit but usually at home and I am always connected to my WiFi. Today I checked my data usage from when it was renewed on the 14th. I have used 300mb of data. I though, well thats odd how would I use that much in 3 days, I have hardly done a thing on it!? So I decided to test it. I immediately closed any applications that might be running, made sure GPS was off, wifi still connected, etc. I checked my data again. 300.07 mb of 2gb as of 3:00pm October 17th. Ok.

So I set the phone down and left it alone for 4 hours. I came back. Immediately checked data. 337mb of 2gb used as of 7:00pm October 17th.

WHAT IN THE WORLD. How, with no apps running and the phone sitting idle connected to wifi, was 37mb used? SO then I downloaded something, connected to wifi. Sure enough, showed on data usage.

Someone help please!

Reactions: flash24

Mikegrann

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
This is actually a known issue, and there is a thread about it on these forums (I suggest you read through all 5 pages):
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-ii/124256-ap-mobile-constantly-using-data.html

First I would suggest downloading "My Data Manager" or something similar so you can check what app is using the data. AP Mobile is a problem for many of us; it seems to use data even if you aren't using the widget. This is definitely a problem, and for now the only fixes seem to be a factory reset or rooting the phone (see the thread).

I also have a 2gb data cap, and to ensure I never cross it, I manually enable and disable 3g every time I want to use Internet outside of my home. It's not TOO much of a hassle, and safeguards me from these issues. To do this, go to Settings>Wireless and network>Mobile networks and turn on or off "Use packet data."

One last thing: though no apps may be shown on Samsung's Task Manager, this doesn't mean that no data is being used. Various background processes could be running unseen; an email program could be checking your inbox, a widget could be updating from online, etc. My Data Manager should show ALL data usage, letting you track even these background processes.

Curado

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Lol I came back to post that it was the stupid AP app and saw that you already did. No way to uninstall it. This is really pissing me off that they can allow an irremovable app to suck data off our plans without our control. Its literally using, without the widget activated, 1mb every few minutes. Thats complete BS.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Lol I came back to post that it was the stupid AP app and saw that you already did. No way to uninstall it. This is really pissing me off that they can allow an irremovable app to suck data off our plans without our control. Its literally using, without the widget activated, 1mb every few minutes. Thats complete BS.

Adding the AP Mobile widget back, open the widget, go to its settings, then set the refresh to 3 hours, seems to dramatically reduce its usage. There appears to be a bug when 'auto refresh' is set to none, or some series of conditions leading up to that causes this. This seems to be at least a quick way to keep it somewhat at bay. It is probably still going to use your data at times, but it will be more limited.

Otherwise, you can factory reset your phone (thus losing your settings on the phone), and just never open that widget. From then, it should remain "non-existent".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay