Switching to AT&T next month!

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I am switching to AT&T and need an idea of what you guys think of this phone. I like the Super Amoled plus HD screen, but was wondering what the pros and cons are. I'm currently on Tmobile with the Nexus S, but my contract is up with tmo, So i'm looking for a new replacement. What do you guys think?

DannyUC6

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Its great. I would wait until the Nexus comes out for Verizon and play with that a bit. If that doesn't satisfy you the GSII is amazing.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am switching to AT&T and need an idea of what you guys think of this phone. I like the Super Amoled plus HD screen, but was wondering what the pros and cons are. I'm currently on Tmobile with the Nexus S, but my contract is up with tmo, So i'm looking for a new replacement. What do you guys think?

I just switched from Vzw to AT&T yesterday. Had a Droid Incredible on Vzw -- loved it.

I switched because Vzw gets bad service at my house (0-1 bars, signal strength of -100 dBm). AT&T gets awesome service (5 bars, -70 dBm). Data speed on AT&T when testing side-by-side with Vzw is 10x faster on AT&T at my house.

If I were you, I'd make the quality of the network the number one priority in switching. If T-Mo gets better signal strength where you work and live, you might just stick with them. But if you do switch to AT&T, the GS2 is an awesome phone. Perfect size... IMO preferable to the 4.5" at T-Mo and Sprint. Also, regarding the Galaxy Nexus, an HSPA+ version with T-Mo & AT&T bands WILL be available... and it will almost certainly work just fine on both carriers. You would just have to pay unsubsidized pricing for it.

I'm loving AT&T and my GS2 so far. Only downside is that I lost my unlimited data plan. But since I rarely use more than 200Mb per month on 3G anyways, 2GB shouldn't be too hard to stay under.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I love my SGSII. I also get awesome coverage with ATT here in Indy. Remember, if you go with ATT, you can return the phone within 30 days and get a different model. The other carriers have similar policies I think.

I agree that coverage is most important. My friend has the bionic, w/LTE, and he is getting speeds above 12 mgs. I have been around 3 mgs even with the hspa+ . Better than the iPhone I had, but makes me think I will upgrade again after LTE is available in INDY on ATT.

Emcee

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I love my SGSII. I also get awesome coverage with ATT here in Indy. Remember, if you go with ATT, you can return the phone within 30 days and get a different model. The other carriers have similar policies I think.

I agree that coverage is most important. My friend has the bionic, w/LTE, and he is getting speeds above 12 mgs. I have been around 3 mgs even with the hspa+ . Better than the iPhone I had, but makes me think I will upgrade again after LTE is available in INDY on ATT.

But you also have to ask yourself, how often do you need 12 MBPS over 3 MBPS download speed?

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
But you also have to ask yourself, how often do you need 12 MBPS over 3 MBPS download speed?

Exactly. I tried a Bionic. I consistently got DL speeds of 10-15 mbps here in the DC area. However, if I left LTE on, my battery would go from 100% to dead by 5pm (taking it off the charger at about 6:30am).

Unless you are regularly streaming video, the 3-5 mbps I'm getting with HSPA+ is far more than sufficient for browsing, email, chat, etc. And my battery isn't dead in less than 12 hours, either. In fact, I can generally get by charging it every other night, rather than 2x per day with the Bionic.

Maybe one day an average user will somehow need a mobile pipe of 10-15 mbps. But for now, I don't see what the hype is. Why does an average person need that kind of bandwidth on a phone? I'll take my great battery life + 3-5 mbps over horrible battery life + 10 mbps any day of the week. Heck, it seems like only a few years ago that I had a 1.5mbps DSL line at my house (now I have 35/35 mbps from FIOS and it's glorious).

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies! I'm highly considering getting it. and one more question, how easy is it to root the phone? Anyone know?

Trickology

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
You can still get unlimited data on att if you do the original iPhone loop hole worked for me last week

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine runs pretty good. I was an HTC and Sense junky before, but I made the switch to Sammy devices. Mine has been locking up lately but i think its related to the starfire or whatever the browser name it. I only see it when web browsing. I took it off this morning to see if I can duplicate anymore in the next week.
The UI seems a little less fluid sometimes, but otherwise the phone is awesome.
Watch the battery door cover. I got a new cover because my first one didnt sit right.

Coverage wise ATT seems to have gotten their straight. I only found one dead spot and coindidentally its at my work. I wont get real signal until like 100-200 yds away from our building. Weird! Everywhere else though I get solid voice and data

Luvcheez73

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I just made the switch from an iphone 3g to the gs2 on att. Love the larger screen and comparing the speed of the two phones just isn't fair, considering the 3g hardware is over 3 years old. It will take a little getting used to, but I like to tinker so I'm really looking forward to it.

I think the iphone is a good phone and it was great for someone just entering into the whole smartphone thing two years ago like me. But I feel like I've outgrown it, so to speak, and was looking for something that felt a lot less restrictive than iOS. So, I won't trash Apple. Expensive products, of course, but they work well. My iphone held up quite well for over 2 years. But I'm now an android convert and I don't see myself going back. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance