What upload and download speed are people getting

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I went to buy my GS2 today, final a day with short lines at Best Buy wireless. Planned to use BB since they will match anyone's price and can use my gift cards. After having a long talk with several of the sales people there I came home with...my iPhone 3gs.

One of my biggest concerns is just the over all data speed of the phone. I have yet to see anyone on-line post any decent numbers of upload and download. Plus I keep hearing on all the forums about issues with wifi reception. I am hoping I can find out more about how people feel the GS2 is performing on their Upload/download performance. I would also love to hear from current users about the wifi reception on the GS2

I have zero interest in upgrading to a 4s, but from the few posts I have read the numbers I see look better upload/download and wifi. The sales person I was talking to reinforced these concerns, he was planning on buying a GS2 until he played with one at the AT&T store and was surprised at the data speeds.

Right now I figure I can wait a bit and see what comes in Q4, AT&T said LTE phones are coming in Q4. Since the phone I buy now will have to last for 2 years I figure it can't hurt to wait a few weeks and see what happens. Plus do some more research on GS2 performance. I really like the size and weight of the GS2, but to meet my needs it really needs great reception and very good data speeds. I think there is a good chance I will buy a GS2, but will depend on getting some better data on the phone's performance.

Any suggestions from current owners would be very helpful.
Thanks

MAGiK9

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Download: 2.70 MbpsUpload: 0.82 MbpsPing: 227 ms

I just did a speed test.. It wasn't great results, but I usually get around 3.8 download and 1.3 upload. The only con I have for the GS2 is the lack of cases. Other than that, everything is great.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Here's a random sampling of some of my speedtests. This is in the DC metro area. Ping typically seems to be 80-100 ms, download speeds most typically 2-3 mbps, and upload speeds around 1 mbps.

I've DL speeds as high as ~5 mbps and UL as high as ~1.5 mbps.

kenmitch

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what AT&T's timeline is on LTE as it seems to be market limited so far. I'd think the larger cities will get it first.

In my area AT&T signal isn't bad but not the greatest either. I haven't gone outa town lately so my results are from home and work which are within a 3 mile radius.

Using speedtest APP my best results so far are as follow.

On HSPA+

2.97Mbps down and 1.07Mbps Up Ping 132ms

On WIfi with a strong signal on my home network....I have FIOS

35.49Mbps down and 27.82Mbps Up Ping 20ms

sdmark

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
using the speedtest.net app to test I usually get about 3mbps down and 1 up. opening the browser and going to speakeasy's speed test I've gotten up to 6.50mbps down

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I think at&t must be throttling speeds pings under 100ms, dl 3 mb up 1.5 to 2.

Right about the same as my IPhone 4. The Android speed test is jinkier,then the ios one. Don't know if I trust it.

This is about 45 miles north of Phila.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Depending on time of day I have seen up to 14mpbs down and usually 1.1 up. Do a search and you will find the thread where I post a pic.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Ijust picked up my S2 2 days ago. I have to say that my Infuse had much stronger wifi capability than the s2 has but, I get better download speeds with the S2. I get anywhere from 3.7-15 download and 980- 1.2up. I'm looking at getting a booster for my router because the S2 just can't reach as far as the Infuse did. Yes, that's a disappointment. I'll be more disappointed though, if we don't get an official upgrade to ICS. That will keep me from buying Samsung phones in the future.

kenmitch

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Ijust picked up my S2 2 days ago. I have to say that my Infuse had much stronger wifi capability than the s2 has but, I get better download speeds with the S2. I get anywhere from 3.7-15 download and 980- 1.2up. I'm looking at getting a booster for my router because the S2 just can't reach as far as the Infuse did. Yes, that's a disappointment. I'll be more disappointed though, if we don't get an official upgrade to ICS. That will keep me from buying Samsung phones in the future.

Your screenshot shows your on wifi. Why is the upload so low?

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I live in the south suburbs of Chicago within the 4g network. If I'm fairly close to a tower I can get 8mb down and 1.5 up. I've found that the speed varies a little depending on what day it is. On the weekends the speed is higher. I'm coming from a Captivate and I'm very pleased with the SGS2.

BugDad25

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Once LTE comes out it will be faster than the GS II will ever be. However, I am getting an average of about 3 or 4 Mbps down with highs of about 7 and lows of less than one (usually at least 2. I think the phone is capable of much more than 7 but the limit is the AT&T system (I am in the Orlando area) and the time of day. The bottom line, it is quite good and I would guess faster than the iPhone 3gs. If the LTE version of GS II came out tomorrow I would exhange since within the 30 days but if it came out in two months I would not be that upset - it is now faster than I am :)

WiFi has been without problem and the download is usually over 9

Upload speeds almost always between .95 and 1.05 like it was fixed, even with the download speeds vary tons over time

I am a happy camper

Entrical

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
speedtest.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech