Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Use mom's upgrade to get SGSII

My Mom (who is not on my account) is eligible for an upgrade and has no intentions to use it anytime soon. The problem is she has a dumb phone and no data plan. Is there any way to have her purchase this phone and send to me and then cancel her data plan? Or do they count on the data plan money to cover the subsidized price as well?

I'm assuming this won't work since she isn't on my account and doesn't have an upgrade but I'm trying to find a way to get this awesome phone.

Thanks

Default Re: Use mom's upgrade to get SGSII

i've done something similar. I used my brothers upgrade and got myself a smartphone while he stayed with his 'dumb' phone.
    We did it within the same family account but I'm sure u can have someone upgrade, then change their phones downgrading while u just change phones

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Yeah you can do that I took my moms also! This phone rocks! Good luck!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by JoeR32 View Post
    Yeah you can do that I took my moms also! This phone rocks! Good luck!
    How exactly did you do it? Want to make sure I don't screw this up and stick my mom with a data plan she will never use.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zendroid1 View Post
    How exactly did you do it? Want to make sure I don't screw this up and stick my mom with a data plan she will never use.
    I think they call it a cross upgrade I did it at best buy with no hassle, they just confirm that you have data on the phone that it will be used on. My mom also doesn't use data at all and everything went well.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by JoeR32 View Post
    I think they call it a cross upgrade I did it at best buy with no hassle, they just confirm that you have data on the phone that it will be used on. My mom also doesn't use data at all and everything went well.
    My situation might be a bit more difficult since my mom lives in a different state. Maybe I can have her add me as authorized on the account or something?

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zendroid1 View Post
    My situation might be a bit more difficult since my mom lives in a different state. Maybe I can have her add me as authorized on the account or something?
    They might let you still do it with her being on the line and confirming her information, but I'm not too sure, its worth a shot.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Shouldn't be an issue if you're an authorized user. I live in San Francisco, but my parents are in Pennsylvania. Actually picking the phone up today.