HP Touchpad wifi tethering success with GS2

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
This might be useful for those of you with HP Touchpads. Ever since I rooted (stock ROM with root), I have been trying to use a wifi tethering app to share my GS2 data connection with my Touchpad. I knew it would be a challenge since the TP doesn?t support ad-hoc wifi connections. I tried many combinations of options in the Wifi Tether and Open Garden apps. I came across a suggested setup in a general TP forum on XDA. xda-developers - View Single Post - [webOS] $50 Bounty for Adhoc support
Here is the basic post with a few of my own notes thrown in.

You need to use the beta of the Wifi Tether app wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk You can find that file here Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
Install it
Run it
Menu>Settings>
Change Device-Profile, select Samsung Galaxy S
Change Setup-Method, select NetD (Master)
Go back to the main screen
Click start tethering. You may get some errors reported in Wifi Tether.

This worked great for me. You can run it with encryption on or off. I did a little searching on Netd (master) and it seems as though this is different from ad-hoc (is it infrastructure mode?) Whatever it is, it tethers with the Touchpad well.

Reactions: khele2k

khele2k

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You're awesome. The whole reason I bought a touchpad was to tether it to my phone and never could. THANKS!

Hack the planet!

This might be useful for those of you with HP Touchpads. Ever since I rooted (stock ROM with root), I have been trying to use a wifi tethering app to share my GS2 data connection with my Touchpad. I knew it would be a challenge since the TP doesn?t support ad-hoc wifi connections. I tried many combinations of options in the Wifi Tether and Open Garden apps. I came across a suggested setup in a general TP forum on XDA. xda-developers - View Single Post - [webOS] $50 Bounty for Adhoc support
Here is the basic post with a few of my own notes thrown in.

You need to use the beta of the Wifi Tether app wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk You can find that file here Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
Install it
Run it
Menu>Settings>
Change Device-Profile, select Samsung Galaxy S
Change Setup-Method, select NetD (Master)
Go back to the main screen
Click start tethering. You may get some errors reported in Wifi Tether.

This worked great for me. You can run it with encryption on or off. I did a little searching on Netd (master) and it seems as though this is different from ad-hoc (is it infrastructure mode?) Whatever it is, it tethers with the Touchpad well.

hanly2

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it is tethering different then wifi hotspot? I had a droid inc. and I would use the wifi hotspot for my tp all summer long, with no problems. Does the gs2 have wifi hotspot and can you do it for free like I could with my dinc?

Rolfsted

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it is tethering different then wifi hotspot? I had a droid inc. and I would use the wifi hotspot for my tp all summer long, with no problems. Does the gs2 have wifi hotspot and can you do it for free like I could with my dinc?

Tethering is free .....sshhhh. Verizon charges $35.00 a month for the hotspot. I can tether for free. It uses my unlimited data plan. Looks like you're surfing just with your phone not a laptop or tablet.

derande

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
my motorola xoom also will not support adhoc connection so i could never get my GS2 to tether to it. now that's i'm running UnNamed ROM 2.2.1 with wifi tethering built in, it works great with my xoom.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
All you need to do is root and remove TetheringManager2.apk from the GS2 - then it provides a full-blown AP. I have no idea why people insist on using broken third-party utilities that only provide adhoc mode when native tethering works great.