att data packet and background data....

m.vasquez009

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
whats the difference between turning off the data packet and turning off the background data.....i keep my data packet off to prevent sending and receiving data when im not using it to help improve my battery life.....i thought turning this off would prevent my apps and widgets from syncing and receiving data??....then what is turning off the "background data" as the description for it in my settings says, to prevent applications can sync ,send , and receive data at any time? i thought that's what turning off the data packet was suppose to do? if i turn off data packet but keep background data checked will my apps, widgets still sync?

Reactions: nonie

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Data packet - this is your connection to the Internet. Without it, you can't access email, facebook, anything on the Internet. Your phone is grounded. I leave mine on because I'm on an unlimited data plan. Some people who are on limited data plans, intermittently turn this off to insure they don't go over their data limit.

Background Data - your phone uses the Internet connection (data packet) to sync apps like android market, Tango, Skype, etc. This is what I turn off. I don't mind refreshing the apps manually.

In short, if you turn off data (data packet), you're left with only a phone i.e. no Internet. Background data can't work without an Internet connection (data packet). Hope this makes sense.:)

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I had it turned off much of the time until I froze the bloatware with Titanium Backup. If you're on a limited data plan, TB Pro is a must. I did it because I really don't like apps forced on me.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My phone is a week old and I'm learning what to do and I was fixing to ask this question and found this old one. I hope someone is still reading this and can clarifly that if I don't want to use data, I can turn off "Use packet data"?
at home I use wifi, occasionally data, but I'm not on unliminted.
when I was out shopping, I noticed I was on data. and unless I want it on, if I uncheck it in my menu than I won't be using data?
If that is the case, would I also want to uncheck Background data?

Thanks.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi nonie! I know it's a little confusing. I hope I can help clarify a bit for you. If you turn off "Use packet data" then yes, you will have no connection to the Internet over any network; AT&T or wifi. It would be like unplugging your computer from your modem or router. The computer will still work, but you won't be able to do anything that involves Internet access like getting mail or surfing the web. If you use Outlook for mail, Outlook can keep checking for mail automatically, but it will never find any because you unplugged your computer from the modem.

Background data just means that applications like gmail, Android Market and the like, can run data transmissions in the background using your Internet connection (Use Packet Data). If you turn off "Use packet data" and leave "Background Data" on, the applications will still try to refresh in the background but they won't get any data because you don't have an Internet connection. Like my Outlook example above.

In short, if you don't want to use any data, turn off "Use Packet Data". It doesn't matter if Background Data is on because it can't work when "Use Packet Data" is turned off.

Now, if you want to "Use Packet Data" (Internet connection) to surf the web or use Google Maps, etc. and you're not on a Wifi network and you also want to minimize the amount of data you use, that's when you'd turn off "Background Data". That way, you have Internet access, but applications on your phone aren't using data you can't see. In that case, you can just manually check for email instead of letting the phone do it for you automatically. Since you're not on an Unlimited data plan, I would leave Background Data off unless you're on a Wifi network. You don't want to forget it's on when you're out shopping and using the AT&T network. Background Data can use a lot of data depending upon which apps you have installed.

When you're home and using your wifi network, you'll need to turn on "Use Packet Data" and just make sure you enable Wifi so your phone will use your Wifi network instead of the AT&T network. You can have Background Data on because you won't be using data from your AT&T plan.

In short, think of your phone the way you think of your computer. If your computer is plugged into the modem, you can access the Internet and Outlook can automatically check for mail every 10 mins.(This is just like the function of Background Data on your phone when gmail checks for new mail in the background). If you unplug your computer from the modem, Outlook will still automatically check for mail, but it will never find any since it needs Internet access to do it.

When you're on Wifi, "Use Packet Data" has to be on for you to access the Internet, but just turn on your Wifi connection so the phone uses Wifi instead of the AT&T network. Here, you would leave Background Data on because you won't be using data from your AT&T plan. You might want to get something like My Data Manager Free from the market so you can track your data usage. There are also widgets on the market that allow you to quickly turn off "Use Packet Data" without having to go into settings.

I hope I didn't confuse you. I know I was a bit redundant, but I hope something here helped a little. If you're still a bit confused about this, ask as many questions as you need to until you feel comfortable with how this works. We're all here to help each other and have a little fun along the way!:)

Last edited:

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Tunie, thanks for yoir explanation. I think better understand.

See if this is right.

So if, I'm away from wifi and don't want to use data I should turn off "use data packet.

If i want to leave "use data packet" on, but conserve amount of data used, I should turn off Background sync.
If i leave data packet on and background off and then turn on att auto connect, then if I go into wifi range somewhere, my data will turn off and i will be on wifi?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Tunie, thanks for yoir explanation. I think better understand.

See if this is right.

So if, I'm away from wifi and don't want to use data I should turn off "use data packet.

If i want to leave "use data packet" on, but conserve amount of data used, I should turn off Background sync.
If i leave data packet on and background off and then turn on att auto connect, then if I go into wifi range somewhere, my data will turn off and i will be on wifi?

1) Yes. Perfect:)
2) Yes. Conserve data, background sync off.
3) Sort of:) You need Use Packet Data to be on even when you're on wifi because that's what makes your phone able to use data at all. With Use Packet Data on, you're enabling the data feature of your phone. This doesn't tell it which network to use (wifi or ATT network). It only tells it that you want to use data. So, Use Packet Data won't shut off when you come near a hotspot. Your phone will just switch it's access to a different network (wifi).

Use Packet Data On---> select wifi or ATT hotspot or ATT network
Use Packet Data Off---> all data is disabled.

So, if you leave Use Packet Data on and ATT Autoconnect is on, your phone will use the ATT network (your data plan) to run data until it hits a wifi hotspot. At that point, your phone will automatically switch from using the ATT network (your ATT data plan) to the wifi hotspot to run it's data, but only if you leave Use Packet Data on.

Does this help at all?

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
My pleasure! If you have any more questions about this, don't hesitate to ask. A lot of folks have questions about this, so you just helped all of them!

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes questions get overlooked because there are so many, or everyone just gets busy, so just ask again, or reply to your own original questions and that will bring them back to the top so everyone can see them. We all learn when people ask questions, so go for it!:) I've found a lot of answers by searching the posts too but, when that doesn't work, ask away!:)

Toy2Boy

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
1) Yes. Perfect:)
2) Yes. Conserve data, background sync off.
3) Sort of:) You need Use Packet Data to be on even when you're on wifi because that's what makes your phone able to use data at all. With Use Packet Data on, you're enabling the data feature of your phone. This doesn't tell it which network to use (wifi or ATT network). It only tells it that you want to use data. So, Use Packet Data won't shut off when you come near a hotspot. Your phone will just switch it's access to a different network (wifi).

Use Packet Data On---> select wifi or ATT hotspot or ATT network
Use Packet Data Off---> all data is disabled.

So, if you leave Use Packet Data on and ATT Autoconnect is on, your phone will use the ATT network (your data plan) to run data until it hits a wifi hotspot. At that point, your phone will automatically switch from using the ATT network (your ATT data plan) to the wifi hotspot to run it's data, but only if you leave Use Packet Data on.

Does this help at all?

Actually, this is incorrect and I am trying to figure this out STILL.

Just got off the phone with AT&T and I'll try to make this short.

Using phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 / 3Gb Data plan

Told that if I did NOT disable data packet when on Wi-Fi (in my home, hotspots, etc.) I WILL BE CHARGED FOR ALL DATA the device gets as if I was using 4G Lte (wireless) to get that data.

NOT HAPPY about changing my setting all the time.

Anywho, I turned it off, and STILL do all I want via Wi-Fi (Internet usage, Gmail, searches, etc.)

I am NOT sure why when connecting to Wi-Fi, and USING that network, why I would STILL be charged towards my data plan usage??

Whoosh, thanks for reading!

TwinSac

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
My data packet gets turned off automatically sometimes (that is actually why I searched this forum). When the data packet is off, I can still get data over a wi-fi signal.

I am looking to find out what is making my data packet turn off. I think it might be some type of battery saver application that triggers it. Yesterday I would turn my data packet on, but it would not stay on. It kept turning off every time I left the settings menu.

Major1974

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a Freelander I20(Newman N2) but I don't have the option to "use packet data" in my "mobile network & settings" menu. Instead I see "data enabled" checkbox, is that the same thing? My phone will not receive internet over the network, only on wi-fi. I'm thinking this may have something to do with it.:confused:

Major1974

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Do yo have any info on the Freelander I20 (Newman N2) and why the phone will not accept network data, only wifi?

Last edited:

BrendaLR

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Tunie,
What you've said here is very helpful. I tried turning off the Use Data Packet but I was still able to send an email and the receipt was verified. I thought this was supposed to disconnect me from the internet. Oh and Wifi is enabled.
Any thoughts?

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
BrendaLR. I'm not Tunie, but if you are using wifi, that is why you can send and receive emails, surf the internet.
Without using data . As long as your in wifi range. Now if you are not in wifi range and want to do that, you will have to use data.
Hope this answers your question.
I'm sure Tunie, can explain it better.

poconojoe57

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
This is such a confusing subject. There are some wrong answers here in my opinion. I too am a bit confused on whether to keep packet data on or off, but I'm leaning toward keeping it on. First off, as some people have stated, keeping packet data turned off DOES NOT turn off your data. At least it doesn't for my Samsung Skyrocket. My internet works fine with packet data not checked. I do turn off my data sometimes in order to save battery (and it does save...big time). I turn it off by going to settings/data usage/mobile data. There is a switch to turn it off.
Now, what I believe packet data does is that it sends data more efficiently by sending it in packets. But it doesn't control whether you data is on or off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781