OK... Who's taking their SGSII back for the SGSII Skyrocket?

PostalJ

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: OK... Who's taking their SGSII back for the SGSII Skyrocket?!

Specs: Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket is an LTE-enabled handset with a spacious 4.5-inch Super AMOLED Plus display with a resolution of 480x800 pixels. The handset runs on Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and under the hood, a 1.5GHz dual-core processors makes it tick. An 8-megapixel rear camera allows capturing video in 1080p, while up front there’s a 2-megapixel snapper. The Galaxy S II Skyrocket features 16B of on-board memory, expandable via a microSD card by up to an additional 32 gigs.

PhoneArena.com

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Not sure. Gonna do my homework on both the samsung and HTC. I'm not extremely happy with the screen resolution being the same on a 4.5in device, lowering the PPI even more.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm on the fence. I have til mid Nov. to return the phone.

In the short term (like the next year), I think I'd be happier w/ my current S2 b/c of the size (4.3" is already pretty big in my hand). However, once LTE starts rolling out to my city (LA), I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself.

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The screen is too large for my comfort, and since it will take at least a year for LTE to reach my area, I'll pass this time.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I am not even going to tell my wife about it, I don't want to go to the trouble of returning it, and she likes her GS2 .
No word on LTE coming to Phila. yet and frankly my hspa+ was at 5.5MB down and 1.5MB up yesterday and I don't know what I would use faster speeds for...I think I'll wait for the 2nd gen LTE.

At this point these speeds are Ludicrous:D...as fast as my wifi.

mc511

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't just yet. To be honest I would wait for 4g to really kick in across the usa. If you live in an area that will have 4g then I say go for it. But now I would stay clear.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I was strongly considering it, but then after doing a bit of reading re: the snapdragon cpu inthe skyrocket vs. the exynos in the GS2, I think I'm going to stick w/my GS2. I'm just hoping that I'll ultimately see actual HSPA+ speeds here in SF (currently seeing anywhere between 2-6, highly dependent upon area; I hope the network will ultimately allow support of 10+Mbps)

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I've only had my GS since October 20, so I have til November 20, but I think I am going to stick with the GS2.

For email, messaging, and web browsing, I just don't really think I will benefit that much from LTE. But it's a near certainty that my battery will detriment from LTE.

I'm also not convinced that the screen's resolution is high enough for 4.5". I think 4.3" at this resolution is pretty nice though (although would prefer higher).

In short, longer battery life is more important to me than getting 15 mbps, so I will likely be sticking with the GS2.

Oh, and yes, I do live in an LTE area. (DC, which is supposed to be getting turned on the same day the skyrocket comes out).

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I find it humorous that you all claim it will have shorter battery life without any proof. Is it a good guess, yes, do you have ANY facts, no.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I find it humorous that you all claim it will have shorter battery life without any proof. Is it a good guess, yes, do you have ANY facts, no.

It seems the t-mobile version is the closest to this phone. The t-mobile version gets almost 2 hours less battery life in rundown tests compared to the GS2. If the 1.5 Ghz was not a Snapdragon processor Samsung or AT&T would mention that by name.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

There's gotta be at least a 95% chance of reduced battery life on LTE. So for the purposes of a thread like this one, I think it's pretty reasonable to give that as a reason for concern.

Besides, if the reviews come out and start saying this thing gets 10 days of battery life, then those of us who have cited battery life as a reason for sticking with the non-LTE version will eat our words and go get the LTE one =P

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I live in Chicago, so I'm one of the LTE markets, even though all reports claim Chicago won't reach the speeds of Texas and Georgia. I plan to check out both the Vivid and Skyrocket. I'm not to keen on Samsung stretching the pixels out even further on a 4.5in screen. Size isn't an issue, most couldn't tell the difference between 4.3 and 4.5.

hexbyte

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Not in an LTE market here in N.W. corner of LA. I'll keep my SG2. Came from an iPhone 4 just last month and am still loving it.:cool:

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
There's gotta be at least a 95% chance of reduced battery life on LTE. So for the purposes of a thread like this one, I think it's pretty reasonable to give that as a reason for concern.

Besides, if the reviews come out and start saying this thing gets 10 days of battery life, then those of us who have cited battery life as a reason for sticking with the non-LTE version will eat our words and go get the LTE one =P
Dont sell your self short...I am 100% positive any LTE phone will have shorter battery live then Faux 4G (Hspa+)

No... battery life is going to suck, unless it comes with a humongous battery.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I am keeping my GS2 ... I don't live in LTE area and I had the infuse 4G as a prior device, that screen while great looking was much more pixelated than the screen on the GS2 .. PPI does matter to me. And currently the GS2 is so fast that I don't think I will feel any performance issues for a while. I am happy with my purchase.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how much the price of the SGS2 will fall after the Skyrocket hits. Think I can get Best Buy to do a price match if prices drop?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the Sprint version of the GS2 with the 4.5" screen, and to me, pixelation or anything like that is not an issue. My buddy has the AT&T GS2 and he was considering going to the Skyrocket, but, as soon as I read that there is a Snapdragon in there, combined with the potentially worse battery life and the lack of LTE in this area, I told him he's better off keeping the GS2.

I came from an Evo 3d and I know phones with Snappys installed aren't the best when it comes to battery life, and the GPU performance of the Exynos seems far superior to the one of the Adreno 220. In my opinion, stick with the GS2.