Unlimted data plan

BLOND37

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
i have a iphone 4s and i have the unlimited data plan (grand fathered in).. if i get a SGS2 that does kick me out of the grand father plan? do you get what i am asking? asked another way if i get the SGS2 can i still keep the unlimited DP?

(why am i dreading the answer?)

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You'll be grandfathered in. Some people have had some issues with it depending upon who you go through. As a general rule, you'll want to ask the clerk to double-check with ATT to insure your grandfathered plan is secured before you leave the store. You can also go into your ATT account online to double-check and, make sure you check your contract before you leave the store. The details of your plan will be there. If you add a new device like a tablet that needs data, that will be the end of your unlimited plan but, not when you're exchanging your phone.

BLOND37

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid this would happen. Got a friend telling me no I lose my unlimited data plan cuz I'm giving up ( maybe) the iPhone.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid this would happen. Got a friend telling me no I lose my unlimited data plan cuz I'm giving up ( maybe) the iPhone.
Your friends wrong...this question has been answered over and over, you do not lose your data plan. I have moved from an iPhone to a GS2 in the last 3 weeks . Kept my Unlimited plan no fuss. In fact the clerk gushed over how nice it was to have unlimited.

I was like, yeah whatever....It's the 3rd time for an upgrade for one of my 3 lines.

I'm ticked that I pay $30 for unlimited on that line, and my wife only uses 300MB. Gotta keep it for future proofing.

Last edited:

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
^I use about 1gb+ per month.. but I don't have the unlimited option :( I could have locked it in.. but back then I was paying $10 per month for "dumbphone" data lol

BLOND37

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
*The 4s and SGS2"

ok had an individual plan with grand fathered unlimited data. used my upgrade credit to get the 4s..ordered from apple.com

last week added 2nd line, and bought the SGS at contract price $199.

this morning two questions came up: if i keep the SGS (and deactivate 4s) do i keep the unlimited DP? and what about the upgrade credit. and if/when i cancel the 2nd line would an EFT fee apply? (it shouldnt but one never knows, and i THINK it was my friend who got that going)

FYI, those who dont know me this kind of stuff gets me SO VERY ANXIOUS.. i am still shakey from it..

anyway, after speculating all morning with a friend and online forums i finally picked up the phone and called ATT. (since it dont matter what friend or onine says)i calmly explained the situation. the rep and i agreed that i could return the 4s to ATT, get the upgrade credit back, return and cancel out the 2nd line, and re-buy the SGS under contract price ($199(. (anyone see the problem?) didnt realize it until i was half way to ATT.. i can return the 4s to ATT i got it from apple.com and they require it be sent back within 30 days (which ends today). cant return apple.com to apple stores. whatever LOL..

so i get to ATT and explain the story all over again using my teddy charm :) Missy ATT here's what we can do:

-you cant use the upgrade credit, you lost that upgraded credit cuz it was used on the 4s (ok np, thats fair)

so because i had the SGS for 4 days (30 day return period) i can return it. and buy another one full price ($549).. cant buy the same one i had cuz its now considered "used" and they dont sell "used" phones. ok. so i asked when we deactivate the 4s and activate the SGS what happened to my grand fathered unlimited data plan (she looked puzzled and said it transfers to the new phone). I said it does? yes of course.. (the unlimited data plan is tied to me/the account and not the phone.... wow color me happy. and my original number that i had for years? she says we'll just switch out sim cards and the moves the number to the SGS. i'm thinking ok this is going way to well when do i get bad news about this.. oh asked about the EFT.. no cuz you are within the 30 days return period..

i figured this was all fair, esp since to keep the 2nd line and use both phones would cost me MORE than buying the SGS2 out of contract. i got to keep my number and most importantly the grand fathered plan! woo hoo..

i kept asking her your sure of this? she kept laughing and saying yes we know what we are doing LOL.. before leaving the store, we tested the SGS, web and test call.. all good..

when i got home the att telephone rep that i talked to this morning called me to see how i had made out.. i explained to her about how i forgot that whole mess where i bought the 4s and she agreed that was out of ther jurisdiction.

so i now i have:

a deactivated for 4s (not decided if i want to sell it, prolly not) tho if sold would cover the diff of the contract/uncontract price of the SGS..

an activated SGS2 with NO data, factory boxed (so the few settings and apps i had are gone), this means the launcher and theme) more importantly *NO CONTACTS OR CALENDAR AND NO ME.COM EMAIL* (this is FREAKING ME OUT!! in case you cant tell.. i am beyond freaking guys.. still shaking and ..

have contacts etc on my macbook, and apple's cloud

have nothing on google's cloud (ugh)

i'll have a lot of how do i do this questions in the coming days but *most importantly i need the contacts, cal and email on the SGS (supposedly i have directions to get contacts and cal from macbook to google cloud and directions to get me.com mail on android phone but i have not done this ever..)* the other thing driving me crazy is:

i want to turn off notify for every gmail i get.. i dont use gmail and just get spam on it.. thats why i am thinking of creating a new gmail (already done) and not give it to anyone just use for syncing etc.. and i want to know how to stop getting notified every time i get a messanger message on G+ mobile app..

i just need to say this for my own peace of mind.. i wont be relaxed until the contacts cal and email are set up. so i am

i am totally trusting all you guys and i hope, and pray youre right about how great android is... i have trust issues and so for me to be doing this is another reason i am freaked out!!!

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I had a Blackberry Bold. Upgraded to the Atrix. 30 days passed and it wasn't working for me, so I reverted back to my original Blackberry plan through Costco. The Infuse came out about 30 days later, so I went back to Costco and used my upgrade for the Infuse. Before I went though, I called AT&T to confirm that my unlimited data would be grandfathered. They told me they weren't grandfathering in unlimited data plans anymore, as of Aug 1. To confirm, I went to the local AT&T store and they told me that the CS person didn't know what they were talking about. Good grief! I returned to Costco to use my upgrade for the Infuse and told them what AT&T CS told me and they said the same thing the AT&T store said. My unlimited plan was grandfathered.

The lack of good communication from AT&T 800 CS causes a lot of misunderstanding, I think. Verify it with the store where you're planning to upgrade and check your contract before you leave. I upgraded 3 months ago so things could have changed since then. It doesn't hurt to confirm and verify if you're nervous about it.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Same here. It did take a couple days to show in my account tho. I did hear its not possible to go back to unlimited iPhone tho....Heresay only not confirmed with ATT tho.

This is true, my friend switched from an unlimited plan a limited plan to save money. Then decided it really did not save much and tried to go back, they told him no. Once you give up your unlimited data for another option you loose it forever.

My unlimited plan is the only thing that holds me to AT&T, but their network is so slow in my area, only basic 3G. No word on when we might get HSPA+, let alone LTE. Verizon has LTE in my area and the speed is fantastic. I might just move now that they are offering a double the data deal. I am pretty sure 4GB will be ok even on LTE.

Brunothesheep

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You are grandfathered in, not your device. As long as you always keep a smartphone on that line, you will keep your unlimited. As others have mentioned, just double check with the sales rep.

litesout

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I've changed phones twice since they did away with unlimited plans and have been able to keep mine. Went from blackberry unlimited to smartphone unlimited when I got an Inspire private sale. Upgraded to a GS2 and was able to keep it.

ettomed

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I have that exact issue with ATT. Don't go with a 4g device with an Alltel unlimited data plan. I upgraded my Captivate to GS2. ATT claims since Alltel was only 3g a 4g device is incompatible with the data plan and yes I don't have data access on my phone now. I can't even get a picture message.

ettomed

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Litesout hit the nail on the head. I didn't have a Blackberry with Alltel but my wife did. Att claims our 3g data plan is incompatible with our 4g devices but I can tell you my GS2 doesn't work but yet the wife's Atrix does. ATT can't explain this but talking with them I know it's the Blackberry feature on the Alltel plan that does the trick.