SGS2 or Skyrocket if they were the same price?

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
The question says it all, if the original SGS2 and the SGS2 Skyrocket were the same price, which would you get? Why?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The question says it all, if the original SGS2 and the SGS2 Skyrocket were the same price, which would you get? Why?

Do you live in an LTE area? Do you keep your phone for the entire contract period? If the answer to either of those questions is yes then get the Skyrocket.

Sent from my SGS II

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you live in an LTE area? Do you keep your phone for the entire contract period? If the answer to either of those questions is yes then get the Skyrocket.

Sent from my SGS II

I do not live in an LTE area and there will not be LTE in my area until I am eligible for upgrade again. But yes, I do keep my phones the full contract period until I am eligible for upgrade again.

I am just worried because I saw a side-by-side video on Youtube showing the SGS2 bench significantly higher than the Skyrocket.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Benchmarks aren't a good way to judge two phones performance. In hand performance of the T-Mo SGSII was every bit as good as the ATT version. Camera performance was also the same. As was battery life.

You would be good with either phone, but if LTE isn't a concern of yours (and you have to be SURE it isn't if you aren't willing to do some phone selling/buying stuff) then I would get the standard SGSII. One reason, it's based on the same proc as the international version, so it will likely get updates faster (at least from Samsung, who knows when ATT will let them out). But that's pure speculation (albeit one that makes sense).

scottwood2

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think I also read that battery drain is faster on the Skyrocket as well. Might want to double check that. I know the review on the new HTC LTE phone stated that battery life was not very good.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I also read that battery drain is faster on the Skyrocket as well. Might want to double check that. I know the review on the new HTC LTE phone stated that battery life was not very good.

I am not TOO worried about battery life. I plug my phone up every night (around 10pm) and then unplug it before I leave for work at about 7:30am. As long as it doesn't die during that time it will be OK, and I don't use my phone too heavily while at work so it should last that long. If not, I have no issues with plugging it in at work, I would just prefer that I didn't have to.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I only upgrade my phone every 2-3 years, sometimes longer. I won't have LTE in my area for a long time. From my perspective, by the time it gets here a new more powerful phone will be out that will more effectively exploit LTE. Until that happens, the S2 is an incredible piece of technology and one that will take me a while to completely wrap my brain around :) I'm sticking with the S2.:)

aman1127

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I would stick with the regular s2. Skyrocket is too big, same crap screen but stretched and downgraded processor albeit higher clock. And att lte is still in its infancy nd if you do have it in your area i dont think it would be too good.
I would wait for the HTC edge. Kal El goodness

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Baroka

May 16, 2011
Visit site
If in an LTE area, the speed may make deciding a little harder but my area does not have LTE yet. Asides the LTE consideration, I rather the SGS2 for a couple of reasons such as the SR having more rounded edges which I don't particularly fancy as well as the SR kinda glossy non matte back. That is just me though

aman1127

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
May attribute to the fact that there is no nfc in the skyrocket. The point blah blah is no different other than a small change here or there. Usually indicates a device exclusive version, like gb 2.3.5 was only for the nexus s.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Entrical

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
SGS2 - 1.2ghz Dual core, 4.3" SAMOLED+ screen, HSPA+

SGS2SR - 1.5ghz Dual Core, 4.5" SAMOLED+, LTE

Everything else is exactly the same as the SGS2. I'd pick the SR over the SGS2. I wish I could return my phone and exchange it for the SR. It's been 38 days since I got my phone and AT&T won't take it back. :( Bummer. LTE is rolling out in my area before the end of the year too.

Edit: And the SGS2SR is actually $149.99 with contract. Cheaper than when I got my SGS2.

Baroka

May 16, 2011
Visit site
SGS2 - 1.2ghz Dual core, 4.3" SAMOLED+ screen, HSPA+

Edit: And the SGS2SR is actually $149.99 with contract. Cheaper than when I got my SGS2.

Seems the price only applies to LTE areas and online purchases. Checked the SR out since I was still within the 30 days. Got my SGS2 for $149.99 so SR would have come cheaper than that for me if I wanted to take the jump.

XANAX

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
OG > SR

Main reasons: Exynos processor and dev. support for the OGSGSII

I don't really care about LTE. I'm usually around wifi and even if I'm not, H+ is plenty fast for me.

litesout

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I went into the store and compared them side by side. For me, the original felt better in hand than the skyrocket. Screen also looked better, more vibrant and colorful (both were on auto brightness by the way). Being in a non LTE area, the original was the better choice for me. If you can go into a store and hold them side by side, I'd highly recommend it. I was set on the skyrocket before I did.

Baroka

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I went into the store and compared them side by side. For me, the original felt better in hand than the skyrocket. Screen also looked better, more vibrant and colorful (both were on auto brightness by the way). Being in a non LTE area, the original was the better choice for me. If you can go into a store and hold them side by side, I'd highly recommend it. I was set on the skyrocket before I did.

Same thing I did, was in the same boat and likewise held onto the original.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I chose the original Galaxy SII over the SkyRocket. It came down to this:

1. I won't have LTE in my area for a while. I'll get AT LEAST one more upgrade before LTE rolls out here.
2. From what I've read, the exynos processor in the original is better than the Snapdragon in the SR.
3. The SR is priced at $249.99 where I live (no LTE), as opposed to the $149.99 that I paid for the original GSII.
4. The original has NFC (supposedly) whereas the SR does not (although it has been crippled in the original anyway or does not truly exist so this is probablty a mute point).
5. I like the shape/size of the original better than the SR.

The only drawback is I may or may not get ICS and I'm sure the SR will. However, I'm extremely happy with my GSII as-is so if it never sees ICS I'm not going to shed any tears. I really never thought I would like a non-iphone device as much as I like this phone!

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I live in stl, and just got done speaking to a couple of the art reps at the cave springs location. They were told that lte was coming to our market in the 1st quarter of 2012. Looking forward to it. I'm not due for an upgrade until October of 2012, but my s2 will easily hold me over until then. Lte will be up and running and att should have a nice lineup of lte phones by then.

1Achas

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I asked this at AT&T forum and they went on and on about spyware being loaded on Skyrocket and other probs. Recommended to not get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol