Anyone using the Otterbox Commuter case?

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I have it and haven't cut anything. Nobody I've talked to has reported a difference in call quality.

Other than the rubber buttons being a little stiff, I like the case a lot. Well manufactured with a sturdy feel, it doesn't add very much bulk. With the GSII being such a thin phone, adding the case makes it feel just about like a regular handset.

MamaKitty

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Just looked at on the Otterbox site. This is on the description:

Compatibility:
Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II (International ONLY)
Not compatible with AT&T or Sprint version

Question for KeiranSolaris: is that what you "fixed" by cutting out the covered area? Looks like a really good case to me. I'm doing some pre-need planning for when my upgrade hits in December :)

Dorothy

SeanBest

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I emailed Otterbox and they're response was there is no timeline for an AT&T version release, but I specifically asked if there was one in progress and they responded they couldn't say when. I take that as a yes, but no guarantee when.

Hopefully soon as I loved my Otterbox on my Captivate.

KeiranSolaris

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's "not compatible" because 1) the tab covers the second mic hole and 2) the screen protector doesn't fit. The silicone case and plastic composite cover fit perfectly on AT&T SG2.

kenmitch

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I definitely am in the market for the commuter as well. I wonder if I can use it and just keep my zagg screen protector on the phone instead.

Your screen protector won't keep you from using it. The reason the included screen protector isn't compatable is only because of the cutouts. You'll be able to keep the zagg on it.

Brunothesheep

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, thanks. Figured I'd better check first, considering that some cases are cut so precisely that the Zagg SP either adds too much bulk, or peels from the edges.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I am hoping that mine comes in today. I am another that missed my old commuter.

The audio flap eventually tore off of my Commuter for my Captivate so I will either try and drill a hole in the flap or just cut it off all together.

Rnkriis

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So my commuter case came in today and I gotta say I love it!!!!! It fits perfectly and no issues what so ever. The head phone jack cover does cover the noise canceling hole but so far no one can tell a difference and neither can I. The folks at otterbox told me it wouldn't fit and one was coming out next month for the at&t version if anyone wants to wait.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I read about people modding it to fix the flap over the speaker issue. I'm just a little foggy on which speaker it's covering. It also doesn't seem like a problem if I just use it as is. If you all say it works fine, them I'm going to order it. I do like that it beefs up the phone a bit so there is more to hold
onto. Are the edges rubberized to enhance the grip? The phone is slippery on it's own and if I don't get something quickly, I know I'm going to drop iit.

I emailed them last week and they told me they had no plans to make an ATT version. Maybe I'll email them again.

NoOneBetter

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Been using this case for a couple weeks now. Fits perfectly. And I never realized that the noise canceling hole was covered until I read it on here lol. Easy fix if needed though. I didn't care about using the screen protector provided with it since I'm using a skinomi.

Fr3lncr#AC

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Commuter case yesterday. Got to say, I really like it. The S2 feels really great in the hand now. I've got a Virgin S2 so I don't have to worry about any modifications to the case.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I am still waiting on mine. I ordered it 9 days ago and according to the USPS website it has been sitting in New York City for 4 days.

Seller says that if it is lost they will send me another one.

I guess my shipping luck has ran out.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I emailed Otterbox again and asked about this case. They told me just over a week ago that they weren't going to make one. It looks like they are now, so I'm going to wait for it.

-----------------------------------
We are currently working on a case for this device, I recommend keeping an eye on our website or Facebook page where we will be sure to post more information as soon as it is available (alt response: I anticipate sign up for email notification to go up on our website soon.
--?--------------------------------

He didn't give an eta. Hope it is next month!

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the case for my captivate from them last year right before christmas. They were the only one that had it in stock. A few days before christmas they ran a 20% off with 2 day free shipping and it arrived on christmas eve.

Just check for deals escpecially if you have to order it directly.

My update is my case is finally in my state.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, now I'm looking at the Ballistic case Kevin mentioned in another thread. It looks good so I think I'll just order that. I need a case and who knows when Otterbox will be ready.with theirs.