Best GPS navigation app for SGS2?

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking at a few GPS navigation programs that will allow you to save the maps to you SD card so you don't need to use data. It seems like the most popular are CoPilot, Sygic, and Navigon.

Has anyone used any of these on the SGS2? Which works best? I have an older Garmin (Nuvi 255w) that is starting to die (the audio will cut out randomly) and would love to be able to replace it with my phone (when I get it) since I keep my phone with me at all times.

From what I have seen Sygic looks really good and is about half the price of Navigon (at least for the US). So, anyone tried any of these and would please share their experience?

barbo

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I had Copilot on my last phone (WinMo) and I loved it. I am considering getting it for the GS2 but I haven't done it yet so I can't tell you how it works for GS2. I am not happy with google navigation for two reasons: #1 it uses data and I am limited and #2 the alternate routing doesn't work very well for me.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I had Copilot on my last phone (WinMo) and I loved it. I am considering getting it for the GS2 but I haven't done it yet so I can't tell you how it works for GS2. I am not happy with google navigation for two reasons: #1 it uses data and I am limited and #2 the alternate routing doesn't work very well for me.

Thats also why I am looking for a better option, because I am just on the 200MB per month data plan and thats enough for me 9 months out of 10 (I have wireless almost everywhere I go) so using data for GPS navigation would just cost way too much. I would rather pay a one time fee for a Garmin-like app than pay every month to use Google Navigation.

barbo

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
BTW, AT&T makes it very easy to switch data plans. I did that when I took a trip becasue I knew I'd be using more while away. You can switch for any number of days and it will be prorated.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
BTW, AT&T makes it very easy to switch data plans. I did that when I took a trip becasue I knew I'd be using more while away. You can switch for any number of days and it will be prorated.

Yeah, I did that once when I was about to go over, just upgraded to 2 GB for the rest of the month instead of paying $15 for another 200 MB. Still, I would much rather have the maps saved to the phone so data isn't an issue at all.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I love Navigon but that was on iPhone.. not too sure about Android. I technically don't want to pay too much for a navigation app though since Google has it's own built in I believe but requires data unless you cache the maps.

kelavine

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I used Garmin on an old WinMob phone, now I have Navigon and Sygic on my SGS2. Sygic has good features, but seems to have stability problems running on SGS2, shuts down spontaneously.

Navigon is solid and the more I use it I like it. One thing I wish it has in the current version is to be able to directly call a Point of Interest found in a search.

sdmark

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I use copilot 9 and it works just fine with this phone. I've tried Navigon in the past and really liked it as well. I primarily use copilot because it has the 2nd turn display if the next turn is shortly after the first...then I'm always in the correct lane:)

j-bo

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm using SYGIC and have no problems. I don't use it everyday though. I looked at copilot, navigon, etc. etc......if you look on sygic, their customer support and engineers post frequently trying to fix any issues that arise. They use TomTom maps. No need to be online unless you want live traffic, point of interest details, and such things as that. But for directions... no data usage. Cost was about $15 and well worth it for me.

BTW..there are a couple posts on this by me and some others if you do a search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC